Cleaning Closets

Posted by Judith Keim | 10:35 AM | | 9 comments »

The other day an unusual mood overcame me…I wanted to clean the closet in my office! I plopped down in a chair and sat staring at the assorted office supplies, family games, wrapping paper of every kind, office equipment new and old, a thousand plugs and wires and other wondrous things and…yes, I still had the urge to make order out of chaos and rediscover what was hidden inside.

It was work, but fun, too, to see how things have changed. When we moved to Florida three and a half years ago, I lugged several boxes of manuscripts, carefully labeled in all their hard copy glory. Looking at them today, I see what a huge waste of paper it was. Now all my backups are on the computer and in my red external hard drive sitting by my laptop doing its duty in one small package.

It got me to thinking about the changes in the publishing world today. As wonderful as it was to clear off shelves of manuscript hard copies, I certainly hope it doesn’t mean that hard copies of books will completely disappear. As most of you know from your e-book sales, it’s a reality that more and more people are reading digitally. But the feel, the texture, the smell, the holding of words on paper are so important to me.

Do you feel the same way? Or are you a convert? What do you think? Are we going to be completely digital or will we swing back a little and strike a better balance between paper and screen?

9 comments

  1. Beth Trissel // November 8, 2011 at 10:51 AM  

    I so need to clean up this house. But as to your question, I still love the hardback books and hope they will always have a place. Of course, I am also a fan of ebooks. I don't see why it has to be all or nothing.

  2. Pamela Varnado // November 8, 2011 at 1:19 PM  

    House cleaning must be in the air. This week I'm cleaning my house from top to bottom. Having everything in order helps me to feel as if I'm in control. I'm more calm so my creative juices flow easilier.

    E-books are here to stay but I love the idea of holding a book in mt hands. It's a totally different reading experience.

  3. Judith Keim // November 8, 2011 at 2:05 PM  

    Hi, Beth and Pam! I've preordered the Kindle Fire, my first foray into e-pub reading. I'm both excited and sad by the whole idea, though people I know say holding the kindle is a lot like holding a book...

  4. Mona Risk // November 8, 2011 at 3:22 PM  

    Judy,like you, when I moved to Florida, I brought boxes and boxes of notebooks and diaries. They are still in storage. Maybe one day I'll get to them and throw the notebooks. But not the diaries. They contain years and years of stories about my babies, children, teenagers... Now I am 90% an ereader and can't live without a laptop.

  5. Mary Marvella // November 8, 2011 at 3:29 PM  

    Judy,

    I also love my paper books. Yes, I have tons of those and my own stack of hard copies for manuscripts. I had to go to the dark side and become a reader of ebooks, too. I would miss so very many stories if I fail to move into the real world, as it is now.

    I'm even Indie publishing ebooks, myself.

  6. Judith Keim // November 8, 2011 at 3:38 PM  

    Mona, I've pulled out some of the kids stuff and am working on it, having the time of my life. Such fun stuff. The diaries can be used in your writing though I know most of that stuff must be in your head and your heart.

  7. Judith Keim // November 8, 2011 at 3:39 PM  

    Mary, I know you're an Indie and I'm so excited for you! Love your covers and the way you've popped right into that world!!

  8. Josie // November 9, 2011 at 12:30 PM  

    I hope that my beloved hard copy of books never disappear. I believe there is room in the world for both digital and books that I can hold in my hand.

    And about cleaning the closets? Well that's another story entirely...

  9. Barbara Monajem // November 9, 2011 at 5:01 PM  

    Hopefully there's room for both! I'm going to buy an e-reader soon (I keep saying that)...