WELCOME, BARBARA!










PARTY
TIME
AGAIN!





Grab something wicked to drink and dig into the New Book Release Day cake. I've been saving it.

I’d like to thank Mary for asking me to guest blog here today to celebrate the release of FAMILY MATTERS. My third book from Harlequin American Romance officially hit bookstore shelves and online bookstores last week!


My Virtual Book Tour has been a blast so far, with a number of guest blog stops, some interviews, and even a Book Release Party.


For the Pink Fuzzies, Mary and I thought it would be fun to shake things up a bit and share a quick excerpt from FAMILY MATTERS.


First, a bit about the book:

FAMILY MATTERS is the story of a hardheaded attorney and an equally stubborn teacher who meet in a heated battle over a local amusement park.


Kerry MacBride comes from a large family of Irish eccentrics. She escaped her tiny hometown as soon as she could. Though she is now an art teacher in an inner-city Chicago high school, Kerry is still the family's answer to any emergency.


The latest fiasco: her outrageous Uncle Bren has persuaded everyone in her grandmother's retirement community to invest in restoring an abandoned amusement park.


Matt Lawrence, the lawyer son of one of the residents, is committed to fighting for the underdog in any situation. He’ll do whatever it takes to save everyone’s finances—even if he's forced to send Kerry's conniving uncle to jail.


In the middle of all this uproar, the last thing Kerry and Matt want is to find themselves attracted to each other.

But you know how these things go.... ;-)


Throw some daredevil siblings, an offbeat grandmother, a couple of determined matchmakers, and a runaway teenager into the mix, and things get downright crazy.


Now, the excerpt. I hope you enjoy it!

Please feel free to leave comments and questions. I’ll be back later today to respond.

~~~~~~~

The room looked as if a twister had swept through it.


Twice.


Boxes and bags and unidentifiable objects balanced on the edges of the pool tables, leaned up against the walls, and littered almost every inch of floor space.


On the far side of the room, Uncle Bren stood behind one of the pool tables.


Taking hold of Kerry’s shoulders, Matt gently moved her aside. The warmth of his hands seeped through the fabric of her worn T-shirt. Distracted by the momentary pleasure, she didn’t realize he planned to cross the room until it was too late.


By the time she kicked into gear, he had his hands braced on the pool table, giving the impression of a hunter who had cornered his prey. From the look of wide-eyed panic on her uncle’s face, he agreed.


“What is all this, MacBride?” Matt asked, his voice gentle.


Gentle and Matt made a dangerous combination.


Kerry rushed to join them.


Uncle Bren frowned, as if seeing everything around him for the first time. “Supplies. For the park.”


“Do you have receipts for all this?” Matt asked. “Did you get the okay from your investors before you spent their money?”


Uncle Bren stepped back a half-pace. “They’re fine with whatever I do.”


“No matter how ineptly you do it?”


“Matt, really!” Kerry moved past him and focused on Uncle Bren. “Where are you planning to store all these packages?”


He shrugged.


“You haven’t even thought that far in advance, have you?” Matt demanded. Shaking his head, he turned to Kerry. “I rest my case. This guy couldn’t carry off a bake sale if they were giving the goods away.”


“Hold on, lad—“


“I’m not your lad,” Matt snarled.


Kerry winced but stood her ground. Maybe once they got the shouting over with, they’d have everything out of their systems.


False hope, and she knew it. If she didn’t keep them away from each other, Matt would be the one going to jail.


For murder.

~~~~~~~

About Barbara

Originally from the East Coast, award-winning author Barbara White Daille now lives with her husband in the warm, sunny Southwest, where they love the dry heat and have taken up square dancing.


From the time she was a toddler, Barbara found herself fascinated by those things her mom called "books." Once she learned the words between the covers held the magic of storytelling, she wanted to see her words in print so she could weave that spell for others.


Barbara hopes you will enjoy reading her stories and will find your own storytelling magic in them!


You can find Barbara online at her website: www.barbarawhitedaille.com and at her blog: www.barbarawhitedaile.com/blog. She’s also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/barbarawhitedaille and Twitter: https://twitter.com/BarbaraWDaille.

Stop by and visit her any time!

37 comments

  1. Beth Trissel // October 10, 2010 at 11:21 PM  

    Welcome to the Fuzzies Barbara! Ooooh you square dance. I'm terrible at it, ended up in the wrong squares but it was fun. Your story sounds fun too. :) I've loved books since I was a tot as well.

  2. Mary Marvella // October 10, 2010 at 11:28 PM  

    HEY. BETH!

    I'll let Barbara know her post is up!

  3. Donnell Ann Bell // October 11, 2010 at 12:27 AM  

    Just got to reiterate what a terrific read Family Matters is. Terrific post, Mary!

  4. Cynthia D'Alba // October 11, 2010 at 1:14 AM  

    Yanno, Barbara, I think I might have read some of this story during first draft. I am THRILLED to finally get to read the rest of it!

  5. Mary Marvella // October 11, 2010 at 1:30 AM  

    Hey, Donnell! Won't Barbara be surprised we started the party without her.

  6. Mary Marvella // October 11, 2010 at 1:31 AM  

    Morning, ArkansasCyndi! Welcome back for a visit.

  7. Lilly Gayle // October 11, 2010 at 6:11 AM  

    Nice interview! Years ago, my parents used to be members of a square dancing club. I went with them a few times in my pre-teen/early teen years. I learned the steps and danced with my parents and their friends. And I had fun. Doubt I could remember the first step now though. lol!

  8. Barbara Monajem // October 11, 2010 at 7:35 AM  

    LOL. I enjoyed the excerpt :) Congrats on the new release, Barbara!

  9. Joanna St. James // October 11, 2010 at 7:35 AM  

    I love Matt already and I love the cover too, am off to add you to my list congratulations.

  10. Edie Ramer // October 11, 2010 at 7:42 AM  

    Terrific excerpt! I'll be at the store same day this week and will look for it. Because Family Matters. *gg*

  11. Judith Keim // October 11, 2010 at 9:00 AM  

    HI, Barbara! Welcome to the fuzzies...Cute story and I liked the excerpt. Have fun with the tour and congratulations on your new book!

  12. Nightingale // October 11, 2010 at 9:21 AM  

    Tense excerpt. It's too early for champagne to celebrate your release so I'll drop by later! Congratulations, Barbara.

  13. Barbara White Daille // October 11, 2010 at 10:05 AM  

    Good morning, everyone. Thanks for stopping by!

    And a big thank you to Mary for inviting me to guest blog here today.

    Off to read messages....

    Barbara
    www.barbarawhitedaille.com

  14. Barbara White Daille // October 11, 2010 at 10:07 AM  

    Hi, Beth - thanks!

    Looks like we have a lot in common. I often wound up in the wrong squares in the beginning, too. LOL

    Barbara
    www.barbarawhitedaille.com

  15. Barbara White Daille // October 11, 2010 at 10:10 AM  

    Donnell - thank you once again for your support of FAMILY MATTERS. I'm so glad you enjoyed the book!

    (Gang, Donnell, grilled...er, interviewed me last week on her own blog, and let me tell you, her questions make you think!)

    Barbara
    www.barbarawhitedaille.com

  16. Barbara White Daille // October 11, 2010 at 10:11 AM  

    Cyndi - yes, you did get to read some of this in draft.

    Guess that's a good sign that you still want to know what happens in the rest of the book! ;-)

    Barbara
    www.barbarawhitedaille.com

  17. Barbara White Daille // October 11, 2010 at 10:14 AM  

    Mary and Donnell - considering the great book release party Donnell hosted for me last week...

    No, I'm not a bit surprised you two started partying even before I arrived here! LOL

    You go, girls!

    Barbara
    www.barbarawhitedaille.com

  18. Barbara White Daille // October 11, 2010 at 10:16 AM  

    Lilly - hi, and thanks!

    Square dancing is a lot of fun once you get the hang of it. Even better, it's GREAT exercise!

    Barbara
    www.barbarawhitedaille.com

  19. Barbara White Daille // October 11, 2010 at 10:17 AM  

    Barbara - thanks a bunch! And I'm happy you enjoyed the excerpt.

    Barbara
    www.barbarawhitedaille.com

  20. Barbara White Daille // October 11, 2010 at 10:20 AM  

    Joanna - thanks so much! I hope you love the book, as well. ;-)

    I did luck out with that cover, didn't I?

    And Matt is one of those multi-layered characters who kept surprising me at every turn. I fell in love with him, too.

    Barbara
    www.barbarawhitedaille.com

  21. Barbara White Daille // October 11, 2010 at 10:22 AM  

    Edie - you definitely picked up on one of the double meanings of my title. I'm thrilled I was able to keep it.

    Thank you for looking for the book, too!

    Barbara
    www.barbarawhitedaille.com

  22. Barbara White Daille // October 11, 2010 at 10:24 AM  

    Judy - thanks so much.

    It's a pleasure to be here today.

    Barbara
    www.barbarawhitedaille.com

  23. Barbara White Daille // October 11, 2010 at 10:27 AM  

    Nightingale - thanks for the comment on the excerpt.

    Yes, it is a bit early for champagne. LOL

    Will share a toast when I drop in again later. ;-)

    Barbara
    www.barbarawhitedaille.com

  24. Barbara White Daille // October 11, 2010 at 10:30 AM  

    I think I've responded to all the messages so far. Thanks for stopping in and commenting!

    Have fun hanging out with Mary and the gang, and I'll see you all again later.

    Barbara
    www.barbarawhitedaille.com

  25. Liz Lipperman // October 11, 2010 at 11:18 AM  

    Love the excerpt, Barbara, and can't wait to hold the book in my hands.

  26. Unknown // October 11, 2010 at 12:50 PM  

    LOl, Barbara. A lively beginning. It'll be interesting to read how Uncle Bren and Matt's issues are resolved. Congratulations!

  27. Mary Marvella // October 11, 2010 at 1:05 PM  

    Hey, Lilly! I tried square dancing while I was in high school. I never could keep up with the other dancers. By the time I figured which step was next, the others were three steps ahead. It was pitiful.

  28. Barbara White Daille // October 11, 2010 at 1:50 PM  

    Hi, Liz - thanks! You're a sweetie.

    I'm looking forward to seeing it on the bookstore shelf. Then it might finally seem to real to me.

    Barbara
    www.barbarawhitedaille.com

  29. Barbara White Daille // October 11, 2010 at 1:52 PM  

    Carol - believe me, I sweated through trying to keep Matt and Uncle Bren from each other's throats.

    Or I should say, having KERRY keep them away! LOL

    Thanks.

    Barbara
    www.barbarawhitedaille.com

  30. Autumn Jordon // October 11, 2010 at 9:49 PM  

    Woohoo! SO sorry I'm late. Barbara, we've met. I know we have. Congrats on your new release. It sounds like a Whoot.

  31. Scarlet Pumpernickel // October 11, 2010 at 11:20 PM  

    Welcome Barbara, sorry to be late, but I've been very busy with school. Enjoyed your blog. Congrats on the new release. Glad you came by to visit with us today

  32. Barbara White Daille // October 12, 2010 at 12:23 AM  

    I'm back! And I must have been asleep this morning, because I somehow missed the notice about the cake. Hope someone saved me a piece!

    Did anyone open the champagne???

    Going to catch up with a couple of comments and then head off to bed. Will be back in the morning.

    Barbara
    www.barbarawhitedaille.com

  33. Barbara White Daille // October 12, 2010 at 12:25 AM  

    Autumn - RWA conference, maybe?

    And thanks for the good thoughts about FAMILY MATTERS.

    Barbara
    www.barbarawhitedaille.com

  34. Barbara White Daille // October 12, 2010 at 12:27 AM  

    Scarlet - thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to pop in!

    I've enjoyed spending time here today.

    And I found a piece of cake--it's delicious! ;-)

    Barbara
    www.barbarawhitedaille.com

  35. Barbara White Daille // October 12, 2010 at 11:26 AM  

    Just popping in for final thanks to those of you who stopped by the blog yesterday.

    And of course to Mary for inviting me to guest here.

    It was a pleasure!

    Happy reading, everyone.

    Best,

    Barbara
    www.barbarawhitedaille.com

  36. Josie // October 12, 2010 at 12:23 PM  

    Hi Barbara,
    Welcome to the Pink Fuzzies. Great excerpt. Best wishes and congrats on Family Matters. (love the title!)

  37. Barbara White Daille // October 13, 2010 at 10:49 AM  

    Joanne - thanks for stopping by!

    As I may have said earlier, I'm very happy I was able to keep the title for FAMILY MATTERS. It just fits the book perfectly--in more ways than one.

    Barbara
    www.barbarawhitedaille.com