I'm leaving the DH home with a well stocked refrigerator, fresh baked apple pie and instructions to feed the dogs and cat too, and taking off.

I’m so excited. It’s been over a year since I’ve attended a conference or workshop. This weekend is the New Jersey Romance Writers conference and I’ll be there. Even
though, my novel, EVIL’S WITNESS, is up for the notable award, 'Golden Leaf Best First Book' that is not why I’m excited. I can’t wait to be surrounded by other writers and learning more about the craft and industry which I love.

I’m sure you understand how being surround by like minds is no matter where your interest lay. When you’re with others who understand your passion, it’s like walking among the stars. I’m eager to meet face to face friends I’ve made online and to see those I haven’t seen in months or since the national conference in DC. I actually feel like a sponge ready to soak up knowledge in the workshops I already have highlighted on my schedule. I’m also a little nervous about taking an agent appointment, telling her about my new wip and hearing her thoughts on the romantic suspense genre in today’s tight market.

So today, I’ll be tweaking my pitch and getting my books and promo material ready for the book signing which is another reason for me to be excited. This will be my very first RWA conference signing.

God, it’s going to be a blast! If you’re in attendance, please say hi or join me in having a Midnight In Paris Martini.

If you have any conference tips, throw them at me. I'm so excited, I know I'll forget something.

15 comments

  1. Judith Keim // October 21, 2010 at 9:03 AM  

    Good luck, Autumn! It sounds like a wonderful weekend! I've heard good things about this conference. Enjoy every moment and don't worry about the agent meeting. I have a feeling it will go very well!

  2. Autumn Jordon // October 21, 2010 at 9:26 AM  

    Thanks, Judy for your confidence in me. Any tips for networking. I'm not a bar person.

  3. Nightingale // October 21, 2010 at 9:54 AM  

    Have a great (and profitable) time. Is the conference near you?

  4. Autumn Jordon // October 21, 2010 at 9:55 AM  

    Thanks, Linda. About 2.5 hours drive time, depending on traffic. It should be fun.

  5. Mary Marvella // October 21, 2010 at 2:49 PM  

    You'll wow them with your pitches and your wonderful personality. Make some new friends and bring home tons of energy. (As if you wouldn't!)

  6. Mary Marvella // October 21, 2010 at 2:49 PM  
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  7. Scarlet Pumpernickel // October 21, 2010 at 5:27 PM  

    Autumn, MM and I attended M&M's the first weekend of October. It was a great weekend and I credit it with jump-starting my writing this past weekend. Enjoy yourself and come home inspired.

  8. Autumn Jordon // October 21, 2010 at 6:16 PM  

    Thanks, Mary an Scarlet for the good wishes. I will report in on Monday. Have a great weekend too.

  9. Pamela Varnado // October 21, 2010 at 9:11 PM  

    Autumn, I've always wanted to attend the New Jersey conference. Because it's close to NY I've heard it's one of best for meeting editors and agents. Good luck while you're there. I know you'll be successful.

  10. Beth Trissel // October 21, 2010 at 9:44 PM  

    Fabulous Autumn. :) Have a super time.

  11. Tamara LeBlanc // October 22, 2010 at 8:00 AM  

    I know how you feel. The excitement of a conference, what you'll learn, who you'll meet, and what you'll pitch is thrilling...and also nerve wracking.
    I just attended the m&m conference in georgia! I had a blast and gained sooo much insight. Michael Hague...all I can say is OMG!!!! He was phenomenal!
    I got two submission requests from my Ed/agent appointments, and sent them both out already. make sure when you get your requests, you do the same!
    good luck to you this weekend!
    And have a great time!
    tamara

  12. Toni V.S. // October 22, 2010 at 12:42 PM  

    Getting together with "your own kind" is always a lift to the spirits. I certainly feel that lack where I am now. 1/4 quarter of the inhabitants only speak Russian and the others barely say hello. Enjoy being with other writers and good luck on those pitches!

  13. Mona Risk // October 22, 2010 at 12:51 PM  

    Autumn have a great time, take pictures and write a full report. And say hi to all the friends for me. Fingers crossed for Best First Book award.

  14. Mary Marvella // October 22, 2010 at 3:23 PM  

    I hope you hung around, Autumn! You got company.

  15. Josie // October 24, 2010 at 6:55 PM  

    Autumn,
    You are going to have a blast. I've heard this is a wonderful conference.