Fall Break

Posted by Scarlet Pumpernickel | 5:59 PM | 5 comments »







Being scheduled to blog today and not having anything to blog about I thought I'd tell you about my fall break. Isn't this a lovely picture? It's Mykonos, Greece and it is not where I spent my fall break.
The second picture is of Venice, Italy as seen from the water when approaching by water taxi. This also is not where I spent my fall break. Where then you ask did Scarlet spend fall break? At home, running errands and trying to write. My husband left me a long honey=do list, which I dutifully worked through all the while lugging my computer or alphasmart with me to snatch a few minutes here and there to write. On Saturday I attended the Hummingbird Festival in Hogansville with my cousin. I didn't write, but I did visit the Victorian Hotel and got lots of ideas for stories. Still, I didn't get any writing done so I rather counted it as a wasted day. Determined to carve some writing time out of what my family thought was their time to command. I closed my office door, shutting out the cat who wanted to sit on the keyboard and started to write. That's when I found them. My characters were there waiting patiently for me to come visit with them. I was delighted to find my muse there as well. With my characters talking to me and my muse urging me on I managed to write nearly twenty pages on my current wip! Time flew past, it was 4:30 Monday morning before I came up for air. What a thrill to be able to write, to immerse myself in my story, to discover my character and remember the joy of writing. The third picture? Oh, that's Mallorca off the coast of Spain, another place I didn't go during fall break, but the place I did go was so much more thrilling.

5 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // October 20, 2010 at 7:42 PM  

    Leave it to Scarlet to tease and entertain us.

    Glad your characters and muse decided to help you.

  2. Nightingale // October 20, 2010 at 9:05 PM  

    Isn't that the greatest feeling? I call it the White Hot Stream when the characters are talking and the words are flowing from your fingertips like lightning!

  3. Pamela Varnado // October 20, 2010 at 11:44 PM  

    Scarlet, it's frustrating when you want to write and can't find the time to do it. Unfortunately, I'm not the kind of writer who can write anywhere. I need a relaxed and quiet environment. Which I'm struggling with at the moment. My two grandsons are begging for my attention. Since I don't see them often, I've decided to take a break from writing until I return to the States and just enjoy the two little rascals.

    The good think is that my muse will be there, arms open wide, gushing to reveal all the antics my characters have been into while I’ve been away.

    Linda, when words are flowing like water from me, I call it Writing in the Zone.

  4. Judith Keim // October 21, 2010 at 9:07 AM  

    Scarlet, I LOVED your post! I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment with the LAS contest and am frustrated that I don't have time to do my writing, but it reminded me to slow down, my time will come and my characters will wait...although they're getting a little impatient!! LOL Thanks for a great blog! And Pam, enjoy the little ones. You'll be so glad you did!

  5. Josie // November 8, 2010 at 12:14 PM  

    Scarlet,
    I'm chiming in late, but I wanted to tell you that I love your post.