I love attending writing conferences! Local chapter conferences tend to be smaller and more intimate than National ones. Moonlight & Magnolias, Georgia Romance Writers' conference usually has around 300 attendees and more than a dozen editors and agents, as well as big name authors. The energy level for workshops and other activities is wonderfully tiring and satisfying. We always meet in Atlanta, Georgia and have a blast.

RWA National is the once a year big bash for Romance Writers of America. This year there should be around 2,000 writers in attendance. (Can you say overwhelming?) This year we will meet in Orlando, Florida. The energy level there will keep us moving well past tired. There will be workshops and opportunities to socialize with people some of us see only once a year. We will be able to walk the halls with Nora Roberts, Janet Evanovich, and other wonderful authors.

I'll return in a few to add comments about DragonCon and more!.

Tell us about your favorite writing or fan conferences!

7 comments

  1. Patrice // July 19, 2010 at 2:21 PM  

    Hi Mary,
    I'm going to the National because it's close to home, but I prefer the small, more intimate conferences too. FRW has a cruise conference that only gets around 200 attendees, and we have our editors and agents surrounded by sea, with no chance for escape! What can be better than that!

  2. Autumn Jordon // July 19, 2010 at 2:51 PM  

    I've been to several chapters' conferences. NJ, I've only missed once since joining RWA. I've also attending, Smokey Mountain in TN and Desert Rose in AZ. All of them have been worth every cent. The networking opportunities with other authors, editors and agents is awesome.

    Yesterday, I made my reversations for NJ in October. I can't wait.

  3. Mary Marvella // July 19, 2010 at 3:25 PM  

    I love a captive audience, Patrice!

  4. Mary Marvella // July 19, 2010 at 3:28 PM  

    I attended the Smokey Mountain one one year and loved the folks. I've attended Duel on the Delta and the North Texas on in Dallas. Lovely folks!
    Autumn, I might do New Jersey this year.

  5. Mary Ricksen // July 19, 2010 at 4:23 PM  

    I am so jealous!!!
    Have a good time everyone!!!
    Take pictures for us.

  6. Josie // July 20, 2010 at 4:15 PM  

    Mary,
    I also love writing conferences. I always return from them invigorated and recharged.

  7. Mary Marvella // July 20, 2010 at 6:33 PM  

    Do you stay motivated long enough to get a lot done?