GETTING READY FOR THE RWA NATIONAL

Posted by Patrice Wilton | 1:57 PM | 15 comments »

Hi everyone,
Little late posting, but here I am. So, I'm curious as to what everyone does that's a little out of the norm to get ready for the big conference of the year. As we all know, the RWA is a huge, and very special event, with around 2000 attendees every year, the major and the small publishing houses, agents, parties galore, Awards night where everyone puts on their finest gowns, and prepares to shine. We all have an opportunity to honor our special writers that achieve their very deserved recognition, Lord knows, we all get very little of that!
So some of us go out and buy a nice new dress, get our hair newly colored and styled, put on high heels for the first time in months, and meet and greet editors, agents, and all our good friends. Along with the gazillion workshops, there are very nice luncheons to attend, and dinners, and parties thrown by the big publishing houses and dinners which the agents host to thank their authors. I have been invited to attend such a dinner, and I thank my lucky stars every day for the support, the guidance, and kindness shown to me by Pamela Ahearn, my dear, sweet agent. This year instead of getting a new dress, I went to my dermatologist and had a little laser surgery to take care of some spider veins on my cheek, and now I'm sporting a big, ugly purple bruise to take to the National! Oh, me or my. I think I may go out to buy a burka, for that special event.
How about you? Do you have any funny, or happy, or woeful stories to tell? If so, let's hear them!

15 comments

  1. Scarlet Pumpernickel // July 22, 2010 at 3:26 PM  

    Getting ready for National? Let's see, I got my hair colored and cut yesterday, bought a new bathing suit. Ran to the store this morning for toothpaste, a new hair brush and some munchies to leave for the DH. Got to get a pedicure this evening. Going to track down my alphasmart to take and also taking my laptop so I can blog for the fuzzies. I'm in rather a dither right now trying to remember everything. Nationals is by far the most exciting time of year.

  2. Patrice // July 22, 2010 at 3:42 PM  

    Yeah you! You sound organized. I'm not quite there yet, trying to decide if I should buy a new dress, but I have so many. Love dresses, and getting dolled up. But my face. It was supposed to make me look better, and now I look dreadful. I've been freaking out for the past two days!

  3. Toni V.S. // July 22, 2010 at 3:49 PM  
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  4. Toni V.S. // July 22, 2010 at 3:49 PM  

    Have a good time, girls! I'll be sitting here in tornado alley envying you!

  5. Traci // July 22, 2010 at 4:23 PM  

    You are beautiful no matter what patrice!!! can't wait to see you in orlando

  6. Mary Ricksen // July 22, 2010 at 6:07 PM  

    I can't go!! Whhaaaahhhhh!
    There I feel better.

  7. Patrice // July 22, 2010 at 7:10 PM  

    Toni, Mary -- I wish you guys could come! It would be so much more fun with you.

    Thanks, Traci for your kind words. But my age is catching up to my face, ha, ha, and I'm not going under the knife.

  8. Mona Risk // July 22, 2010 at 8:59 PM  

    I am not ready at all. I have my daughter (and her broken ankle) to take care of, my two granddaughters to feed and entertain, Mom to feed and an aunt who is visiting. I need to write my list and pack for myself and the two little ones I am taking with me.

    Patrice, maybe we should study the knife thing but beware of Lifestyle Lift. I heard dreadful things about them.

  9. Mary Marvella // July 22, 2010 at 9:08 PM  

    I chase down my cards, my pins, and my Maggie medallion. I'll make small photos of our header to slide into clear badge holders for the Fuzzies! I added cell numbers to my notebook for our ladies who shared them.
    Now to try on clothes and start packing. I'll do a simple flier and a poster with a giveaway to collect email addresses for us. If you want to add something, let me know.

  10. Carol Stephenson // July 22, 2010 at 11:13 PM  

    Have arranged for pet sitter & had my hair done last weekend. Working on brochures for the goody room. Getting car serviced on Sat. for drive up. Suitcase out on floor and I'm tossing things into as I go...business cards, shoes, etc.

  11. Nancy J. Cohen // July 23, 2010 at 8:56 AM  

    Figured out which outfits to bring, scheduled nail appt, had hair colored, now have to work on jewelry and accessories. Also wrote down writer pal cell phone numbers and packed promo materials. I'm not wearing a flashy button or tee shirt with my book cover, will mainly have bookmarks to hand people. And as I'm commuting, I won't have time to change for evening events.

  12. Kaily Hart // July 23, 2010 at 10:16 AM  

    I'm probably going to go into full panic mode. I haven't done anything yet! I've been in my writing cave. I turned in my book yesterday so I really hope my editor doesn't come back with anything until AFTER the conference! I'm driving from Miami and I really wish I were flying so I could just sit and relax and READ! What an exciting event, if you remove the stress that is!!

  13. KristinW. // July 23, 2010 at 12:28 PM  

    I did the haircut a couple weeks ago. The manicure thing is a problem because if I get my nails done before I go it will prob. not look good by Saturday, with chipping and such. I'm not buying a dress this year. I got a very nice one the first year I went to Nationals (5 years ago) and haven't worn it since. It'll do fine, but will prob. get shoes. The one I bought to go with it killed my feet.

  14. Alyssa Maxwell // July 23, 2010 at 5:17 PM  

    Patrice, I'm sure you'll be as beautiful as always! Like most others I've been running around getting what I need to put outfits together, finding shoes, etc. I also went through the workshop schedule and jotted down the ones I might attend. And right now I'm collecting FRW cell#s so we can all find each other while we're there! I don't think I have yours yet, do I?

  15. Josie // July 25, 2010 at 3:00 PM  

    Patrice,
    Hope that bruise heals quickly. I don't have any stories to add, but I wish I was going to Nationals this year. Alas, it was not in the cards. Maybe next year. Have fun!