Self publishing EBooks

Posted by Patrice Wilton | 7:53 AM | 12 comments »

Hi everyone,
I would like to open up a discussion on the benefits or downside of publishing your own books, either stories that have been previously published and now you have your rights back, or stories that have not previously sold. This seems to be a new wave in publishing, and with the market tighter than ever, and the big houses not so willing to give new authors a chance, this seems like a viable solution to getting your books read. I have a story that I sold a couple of years ago, but before it could be published the fledging publishing house closed. I also have another book that was previously published with Wings and I now have my rights back. I am considering this option but would love some feedback from those that have done this, or know how it can be done. I do know that Amazon will pay 70% royalty for books that are listed between $2.99-$9.99, which seems very good indeed. There is also Smashwords, Sony, B&N, and other sites out there which require their own formatting, etc. Also, I learned that royalty free covers can be downloaded from sites such as Photoshop and Shutterstock, but finding the right photo can be tricky, and we all know the importance of an eye catching cover. Does anyone know whether you can use the original cover of your book if the rights have been returned to you, or is that copyrighted?
Oh, the tangled web that us writers must navigate to follow our dreams.
I'd love to hear from anyone with an opinion or superior knowledge on this subject.
Thanks!
Patrice

12 comments

  1. Mona Risk // July 12, 2010 at 10:20 AM  

    Patrice, if your market is mostly friends and family, then by all mean go ahead and self publish. I heard on the several loop many authors saying they sold well with self-published books. You will have to do a lot of promoting but probably not more than what we are doing now.

  2. Patrice // July 12, 2010 at 12:25 PM  

    Thanks, Mona.
    That's what I thought. Once I figure out how to do it, it might be an interesting experience. I should think the marketing would be the same as it is with an E-publisher.

  3. Nightingale // July 12, 2010 at 1:47 PM  

    An interesting idea. I'd like to know what you find out and what you decide to do. Unfortunately, I don't know much about the subject. I've got several short stories that I'd like to combine in an anthology.

  4. Jianne Carlo // July 12, 2010 at 1:59 PM  

    I actually have a friend who did very well with self-publishing, but it was a non-fiction book targeted to a very specialized market.

    Jianne

  5. Patrice // July 12, 2010 at 2:54 PM  

    Linda and Jianne,
    Thanks for commenting. I'm not very sophisticated when it comes to computer gizmos, and this would be quite a challenge for me, but I might give it a whirl. I have a more recent book that I like very much, and I've sent it off to Carina Press. If they turn it down, I might put it up on Kindle myself. CHAMPAGNE FOR TWO, about an upscale dating service. It's a fun women fiction/romance.

  6. Judith Keim // July 12, 2010 at 3:26 PM  

    Wish I could help you, but I can't. Post whatever you decide on the loop so we can learn too. Good luck!

  7. Mary Marvella // July 12, 2010 at 6:08 PM  

    Hey, Patrice, I am intrigued by the idea, too. A writer on another loop is keeping us informed as she tries to self publish. I'll get her to visit our blog later and tell us about her journey.

  8. Mary Ricksen // July 12, 2010 at 6:24 PM  

    Don't know, but I read your blog!!!

  9. Scarlet Pumpernickel // July 13, 2010 at 1:31 AM  

    Patrice, I have zero knowledge in this area. But I do remember years ago an author self-published her book and put it in the local stop & shop type stores. The title was Murder in Coweta County. It was a fictional account of a true story. It was very successful in the local area. In fact, it was made into a movie that starred Johnny Cash and June Carter. After that a "real publisher" picked it up and published it. So, if you have the right book, the right market and lots of nerve, it can be done successfully. Just my two cents worth!

  10. Josie // July 13, 2010 at 9:38 AM  

    Hi Patrice,
    Unfortunately, I have no knowledge on the subject of self-publishing. I would be interested to learn what you do, though, so please keep us posted.

  11. Josie // July 13, 2010 at 9:38 AM  

    Hi Patrice,
    Unfortunately, I have no knowledge on the subject of self-publishing. I would be interested to learn what you do, though, so please keep us posted.

  12. Nancy J. Cohen // July 13, 2010 at 3:44 PM  

    Usually the book cover is copyrighted by the artist with your original publisher so you have to get a new cover. With all the royalty free photo sites online, that isn't difficult. I have the rights to my first three futuristics and just had them put into ebook format by Belgrave House (http://www.belgravehouse.com/bookstore/) I didn't have an edited version on my computer so they scanned it in then sent it to me for proofing and any revisions I wanted to make. They sent me to bigstockphoto.com for the book cover and they did the rest. Easier than loading it all myself, and they put it into the different formats. It depends on if you want to earn all the money and struggle to put your work into the formats, design the cover, etc. or go with an ebook pub who will do all that for you.