*This piece is reposted from my wordpress blog. I hope you enjoy your garden tour and a Happy Mother's Day to all.
iris_2 smaller
The lighting this morning was exquisite and Elise took some pics of the garden. Now it’s pouring rain again and thundering, but for a time, it was heavenly. So join me for a tour of my lovely May Garden. I think May is the most exquisite time of year. Balm for the soul.~
“I hope some day to meet God, because I want to thank Him for the flowers.” ~Robert Brault, www.robertbrault.com
If you’ve never been thrilled to the very edges of your soul by a flower inspring bloom, maybe your soul has never been in bloom. ~Terri Guillemets
(***A shorter form of iris)
No two gardens are the same.  No two days are the same in one garden.  ~Hugh Johnson
wood hyacinths from Uncle Houston
***Wood hyacinths given to me by my late Great Uncle Houston, like fairy bells.
Give me odorous at sunrise a garden of beautiful flowers where I can walk undisturbed.  ~Walt Whitman
From an aunt, long ago:  “Death has come for me many times but finds me always in my lovely garden and leaves me there, I think, as an excuse to return.”  ~Robert Brault
tulip_pink and white stripedMany things grow in the garden that were never sown there.  ~Thomas Fuller,Gnomologia, 1732
My garden is my favorite teacher.  ~Betsy CaƱas Garmon,www.wildthymecreative.com
Shall we compare our hearts to a garden —
with beautiful blooms, straggling weeds,
swooping birds and sunshine, rain —
and most importantly, seeds.
~Terri Guillemets
(Late season multi-colored Tulips)
I sit in my garden, gazing upon a beauty that cannot gaze upon itself.  And I find sufficient purpose for my day.  ~Robert Brault
tulips late seasonThe kiss of the sun for pardon,
The song of the birds for mirth,
One is nearer God’s heart in a garden
Than anywhere else on earth.
~Dorothy Frances Gurney, “Garden Thoughts”
Gardening is civil and social, but it wants the vigor and freedom of the forest and the outlaw.  ~Henry David Thoreau
Where man sees but withered leaves,
God sees sweet flowers growing.
~Albert Laighton
(Late season tulips that are just gorgeous)
That God once loved a garden we learn in Holy writ.
And seeing gardens in the Spring I well can credit it.
~Winifred Mary Letts
tulips against the barnAnd Spring arose on the garden fair,
Like the Spirit of Love felt everywhere;
And each flower and herb on Earth’s dark breast rose from the dreams of its wintry rest. ~Percy Bysshe Shelley, “The Sensitive Plant
Every spring is the only spring – a perpetual astonishment.  ~Ellis Peters
Spring is sooner recognized by plants than by men.  ~Chinese Proverb
(***Tulips with our old red barn in the background)
The naked earth is warm with Spring,
And with green grass and bursting trees
Leans to the sun’s kiss glorying,
And quivers in the sunny breeze.
~Julian Grenfell
poppy_ lovelyI think that no matter how old or infirm I may become, I will always plant a large garden in the spring.  Who can resist the feelings of hope and joy that one gets from participating in nature’s rebirth?  ~Edward Giobbi
Spring has returned.  The Earth is like a child that knows poems.  ~Rainer Maria Rilke
(Heirloom orange-red poppies that have bloomed every May here forever)
The sun has come out… and the air is vivid with spring light. ~Byron Caldwell Smith, letter to Kate Stephens
Images from my May garden by daughter Elise

4 comments

  1. Tamara LeBlanc // May 15, 2013 at 7:15 PM  

    What gorgeous photographs! My favorites are the multi-colored tulips and the Quote, "the earth is like a child that knows poems."
    Sooo pretty.
    Thanks for sharing and have a great evening!
    Tamara

  2. Beth Trissel // May 16, 2013 at 3:54 PM  

    Yes, that one is lovely, and thanks.

  3. Mary Ricksen // May 16, 2013 at 4:32 PM  

    Beautiful pics Beth, I hope everyone had a terrific mothers day!

  4. Mary Marvella // May 16, 2013 at 6:18 PM  

    I had a working Mother's Day, but had a lovely lunch with my daughter, her honey, and his mama Monday.

    Beth, you have the heart of a poet!