Old Dogs and Blue Fuzzy Slippers

  by Ginger Chambers

I hope I won't be shown the virtual door because my favorite pair of slippers are blue and fuzzy!  If it's any help, they're a shade of pale blue that looks very pretty with pink.  (waits to be tossed out) (isn't) (big smile) Thank you!  My blue slippers and I have been together for quite awhile. Even written several books together. Let me prop my feet up, cross my ankles properly as shown in your photo, and tell you a little story.

I'm sure you've all heard the saying, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks." Well, don't believe it. You can. I'm the "old dog" and the "new trick" is e-publishing.  Now wait! Wait! Don't everyone rush off in horror. It's not going to be THAT bad. I'm not going to try to teach you anything while we're enjoying having our feet up. I'm just saying that it can be done. "Old dog" here is doing it! And, believe me, if I can do it, you can do it...if you haven't already!

All of my writing life has been in Category Romance. I loved reading it before I started writing, and I have loved (almost) every moment of writing it for the past 30-odd years. I'm a fairly slow writer, so that time accounts for 33 or so books. And as I said, all Category. I'm a sucker for a HappyEverAfter ending. Gets me every time. Only, once the books had their moment in the sun (2 to 4 weeks on store bookshelves), that was it. The only way the book stayed alive after that was at Used Book Stores, with the pages growing shabby and torn from use, and the cover fading... 

Now we have pixels and readers and Fires and Pads and Nooks and cell phones. And all those old books--the ones we wrote and the ones we once read--can be new again! With authors having final say on content and covers! Oh, joyous day! No more hero who looks like a vampire as he bends to 'kiss' the heroine's neck (and it's not a vampire book), no more "But my heroine is a blond, not a redhead!" Or my favorite, she's shown bursting out of a D-cup when she has trouble filling a B-cup in the story.

Which brings us to the event that brings this all together and is happening at this very minute. Today is the launch of LOVE ME SOME COWBOY! A boxed set of 5 full novels by 5 best-selling authors who have taken the e-publishing bull by the horns and wrestled it into submission. Yay, us!  Jean Brashear, Day Leclaire, Barbara McMahon, Lisa Mondello, and Ginger Chambers. All at the bargain price of 99¢  ($.99) for the boxed set. My contribution, Love, Texas, is my first attempt at self-publishing at all the usual e-suspects: Kindle, Apple, Nook, Kobo, Smashwords. What an experience! And soon there will be another, Call It Love, which was my first Candlelight Ecstasy Romance back in 1982. After that, another, then another... Once this gal gets going, ya can't stop her! I'm loving this new world for writers. 

There's a lot more to tell, but a little story is just that--little. So I'll uncross my ankles, put my fuzzy slippers on the floor, and get back to work. Thanks to all of you for listening.

Ginger
www.gingerchambers.com
www.facebook.com/GingerChambersAuthor
www.facebook.com/OnFireFiction



21 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // May 26, 2013 at 10:14 PM  

    Welcome, Ginger! I love me some cowboys who look like your covers!

  2. Ginger Chambers // May 27, 2013 at 11:38 AM  

    Thanks, Mary M. :-) I'm kind of partial to my guy. I saw that photo and immediately stopped looking. "That's Will," I said and immediately purchased the license to use it.

  3. Lisa Mondello // May 27, 2013 at 12:03 PM  

    Love, love, love your cover for Love, Texas!!! And I'm so excited to be part of the Love Me Some Cowboy Anthology with you!

  4. Mary Ricksen // May 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM  

    Gimme a chaps wearing, hat dusted, horse smelling cowboy, any day! Great cover and sounds right up my alley! Sell a ton Ginger!

  5. Ginger Chambers // May 27, 2013 at 2:19 PM  

    LOL... Thanks, Mary R. At 99 cents it's quite a bargain!

  6. Judith Arnold // May 27, 2013 at 2:29 PM  

    Good luck with your boxed set, Ginger! What a great group of authors. (No fuzzy slippers for me. I live in my suede mocs. )

  7. Ginger Chambers // May 27, 2013 at 3:04 PM  

    Thanks, Judith. Yes, I'm truly excited to be included in such an awesome group. Fuzzy slippers for some, suede mocs for others...whatever warms your toes. LOL.

  8. Mona Risk // May 27, 2013 at 8:02 PM  

    Hi Ginger, good to see you on the Pink Fuzzy Slippers even with your blue slippers. LOL. I love your cowboy. Come to Mona, you cutie. For 99c., you're a bargain!

  9. Ginger Chambers // May 27, 2013 at 9:12 PM  

    Thanks, Lisa. I'm excited, too. What a great way to start bigtime e-publishing. Among such wonderful authors--you included! :-)

  10. Ginger Chambers // May 27, 2013 at 9:24 PM  

    My blue fuzzy slippers thank you for allowing them to be here. And me, too! And, Mona and all, if you like my cowboy, you might be interested in joining the LOVE ME SOME COWBOY authors in our Blog Hop. You can start off on my Facebook page (www.facebook.com/GingerChambersAuthor), click on the Blog Hop button and join us in the fun. We're having a good-natured King Daddy of Cowboys competition among our heroes, and are telling everyone who we'd pick to play our hero in the movie of our book. It's a 3-day Blog Hop--today, the 27th, tomorrow, the 28th, and the day after, the 29th. There will be prizes! All you have to do is leave comments at the 5 sites of the 5 authors. Much fun!

  11. Unknown // May 28, 2013 at 10:31 AM  

    Congrats on wrestling that indie pub bull by the horns!! What a fabulous group of authors, too! Can't wait to go download the boxed set.

    No fuzzy slippers here, either. I'm a flip flop kinda gal.

  12. Ginger Chambers // May 28, 2013 at 1:08 PM  

    I'm dancin' for sure, Jamie! Hope you and your flip flops enjoy the books! :-)

  13. Www.kathrynshay.com // May 28, 2013 at 1:37 PM  

    GInger,
    Love that you're into indie. Nice anthology with great authors. Is there a link to the book on the blog?
    Kathryn Shay

  14. Phoebe Conn // May 28, 2013 at 2:11 PM  

    Congratulations on entering the ebook world. I hope you have many new bestsellers with your classic category romances. As for cowboys, who doesn't love them?

  15. Barbara Brett // May 28, 2013 at 2:51 PM  

    Congratulations, Ginger and good luck! May your cowboys ride you right onto the best-seller lists!

  16. Ginger Chambers // May 28, 2013 at 3:21 PM  

    Kathy, hi! I'm excited to be in indie. Besides being a lot of work, they're a lot of fun, too. And yes, you're right. I've committed a terrible newbie mistake! Here are a couple of links--
    Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/p2bsqkg and B&N: http://tinyurl.com/o3krcgq and all other e-bookstores
    Thanks for the catch, Kathy.

  17. Ginger Chambers // May 28, 2013 at 3:26 PM  

    Phoebe, wouldn't that be wonderful? A dream, really. Feels kind of far off right now. But, hey, it could happen! As for cowboys...Yee-haw! They're our modern-day knights, aren't they. Thanks for the well-wishes.

  18. Ginger Chambers // May 28, 2013 at 3:37 PM  

    LOL, Barbara. In my younger, single days, I'd have ridden off anywhere with the hero of Love, Texas: Will Taylor. Any day of the week! He's a really great guy. Today, it would be nice if he could help get me on a best-seller list or two. I wouldn't want to upset Cassie, or my husband! ;-) Thanks for stopping by.

  19. Beth Trissel // May 30, 2013 at 7:01 PM  

    What a great post. A belated welcome to the Fuzzies Ginger. Your books look great.

  20. Melba // May 30, 2013 at 11:53 PM  

    Wow, I got wrapped up trying to end the school year and missed your visit! Sorry to be late to the party. Glad you visited with the fuzzies, even if your fuzzies are blue. Going to check out that Cowboy bundle, sounds like a ton of fun.

  21. Mary Marvella // June 1, 2013 at 2:12 PM  

    Good job, Ginger! Bring those blue slippers by anytime, as long as you bring the hunky guys!