Things I Think About, Odd People, Huh?

Posted by Mary Ricksen | 7:09 PM | 8 comments »

I don't think I'm crazy. I might have some quirk that people notice, but pretty much I feel I am in the realm of normal. So how about you? Do you look at people and wonder what the hey? Is he whacked? Too may Margaritas maybe? Wrong medication?
What makes people have a sense of entitlement? Why do families fight? Why is there a nut in every family? Who took the last cookie and why can't you admit to it?
I think about these things, it helps me to not think about the things that really bother me.


I saw a video of a police artist drawing women's picture's. He drew one from a bystander and one from the description of the woman herself. The results were astonishing. The women described themselves in a way that portrayed them much more unattractive then they actually were, in every single case. So what does that say about self image? I thought I was the only one who saw a fat person in the mirror no matter what I weigh! Don't it make you want to say, Huh?

8 comments

  1. P.L. Parker // May 23, 2013 at 7:56 PM  

    LOL - good post Mary

  2. Fiona McGier // May 23, 2013 at 8:18 PM  

    Since 2 of our kids are still in college, one of my jobs is in clothing retail, I've got a few for you.

    1-I don't have any credit cards with me...can you look up my number so I can buy this?
    Me(in my mind):Let me get this straight, you came to a shopping mall with no cash, checkbook or credit cards? How did you expect to buy anything? Go home, sir, you're too stupid to shop.

    2-Customer comes in at 5 minutes to closing, ignores all intercom warnings, and flounces to the counter 30 minutes later, pissed that most of the registers are closed, and insists she has to buy 5 bathing suits in 2 sizes each because she felt so rushed! SORRY! Try coming back during the 11 hours the store is open tomorrow, when I'm NOT HERE!

    Customer asks me where such and such a store is in the mall.
    Me(in my mind):What do I look like? A directory? There's one right outside that door there. And anyway, if I could afford to shop in this mall, I sure as hell wouldn't be working here for minimum wage with no raises, ever!

    People act so entitled these days! Whatever happened to acting polite as if the salesperson was...gasp...an actual person with feelings, just like you?

  3. Barbara Monajem // May 23, 2013 at 10:32 PM  

    LOL. Thanks for a fun post, Mary.

  4. Mary Marvella // May 24, 2013 at 2:08 AM  

    I enjoyed your HUH moments! Thanks! The Mall ones were good, too, Fiona.

  5. Hywela Lyn // May 24, 2013 at 5:34 AM  

    Great post as always Mary, you make me smile.

    I agree with all the points you make, especially entitlement - (I liked the mall stories too, Fiona) Too many people these days think the world owes them a living or they are the centre of the universe!) As for writing being a craft not an art - the person who wrote that piece of 'wisdom' should just try writing a novel! I can certainly relate to the 'self image' one, and as for breastfeeding toddlers - don't they have teeth at that age? Ouch! Breast milk is supposed to be a complete diet for a baby, not a snack for a three year old!

    Thanks for the thought provoking post - and the smile!

  6. Mary Ricksen // May 24, 2013 at 12:17 PM  

    Love it Fiona! Hey, I could write a book! LOL

  7. Alyssa Maxwell // May 24, 2013 at 12:50 PM  

    Well, the writing is not an art thing practically made my head explode. What also makes me crazy is rudeness. I just don't get it. It's so easy to be polite, to smile, say thank you, etc. Whether it's the person who just refilled your coffee or the lady at the checkout counter - everyone deserves that much respect. As for three and five year olds still breastfeeding - imagine the magnitude of the entitlement they'll feel as adults. Ugh!

  8. Unknown // May 24, 2013 at 3:19 PM  

    LOL Mary - I think you've said it er, um, all - well mostly all. And I love the way you said it. Good job. I'll be looking for more of your wit - and what genre did you say you write? {grin}
    Billie
    http://www.billieawilliams.com