Bad Hair Days and Other Stuff

Posted by Nightingale | 9:04 AM | 5 comments »

I hate my hair.  It's baby fine and breaks before it gets past chin length.  So!  I decided upon a hairy adventure.  I bought a shoulder length human hair full lace wig.  Now that I had it, what to do with it.  I wanted low lights, took it to a beautician I knew and trusted.  She charged me $185 to put a few streaks in the wig.  After I recovered from that shock, my new hair and I set off to be united.

The process sounds daunting.  First they put tape below your hairline, then add some glue to the tape.  Next, the wig is applied.  The wigs generally are custom made to fit the head.  I was amazed at the results.  You cannot tell that it is a wig, and it can be pulled up and worn in a high ponytail.  I am very proud of my new tresses.  No pix except in my cell phone.  And it is very convenient.  Just brush and go.  Every two weeks, it is removed, cleaned and reapplied.

We'll see how long I love it or if it ends up on Ebay as a friend of mine predicted.

This has nothing to do with hair, but I wanted to post Bianca's shiny brand new banner.


Excerpt from On Wings of Desire:

The stench of Hell burned Salseph’s nostrils.  Lost Souls¸ how he hated to return home.  For all his trials on Earth, he preferred the human realm to this insufferable place.  In the mortal plane, he could, with considerable effort and pain, divest himself of his wings, and feel as if he belonged—at least for a time.

Evolerzzal, a slimy glob of green flesh, grabbed Seph’s shoulder as he passed into the gloom of the Demon Realm.  “Well, if it isn’t Salseph the Beautiful.  What are you doing here amongst us humble creatures?”  A clawed hand beckoned Charzzel, a demon of the Second Order.  “Look who’s come home.”

Seph shrugged free, arched his wings.  The dim, smoky light refracted on his feathers, and the movement immediately drew the attention of every demon in sight.  His jaw tightened, a muscle twitching.  He yearned to drive his fist into the grotesque face and take to the air, but it wasn’t Evolz’s fault the demons hated Seph.  Paimon had insured that Salseph was an oddity, a freak.  His appearance and the majestic wings set him apart from the others of his kind.  Hell, there were no others of his kind.  In all of Perdition, he was the only demon who looked like an angel.  His face was handsome, his body lean and muscled—the body of a man, not a monstrosity—his blond hair thick and silky.

“I smell angel,” a low-ranking atrocity shouted, his high-pitched voice rasping on Seph’s nerves.

The demons stank of brimstone and ash.  Salseph’s Creator had only missed one detail in replicating a celestial being.  Like an angel, Seph possessed an individual, mysterious scent, the airy fragrance part of his allure.  Unlike an angel, Salseph had no sigil.   A sigil, the angel’s name in Malachim script, was branded in his palm at his creation.  Paimon did not have the ability to bequeath a sigil to his demon son.  The fallen angel had, however, created Seph with an irresistible sexual magnetism.

A disgustingly ugly brute bared his fangs.  A laugh rumbled from the creature’s slavering maw.  He stumbled into Seph, crushing one of the long white feathers trailing the ash-gray ground.  “Hello, Salseph.”  Two taloned fingers drifted down the feathered arch.  “Wish I had pretty wings.”

Seph flinched from the malicious caress, folding his wings in a tighter arch.  The creature chuckled, and anger ground Salseph’s good intentions to dust.   When he landed, he’d planned to hurry to his cave, avoiding another senseless confrontation with his brethren.  The fiends detested him as much as he abhorred them.  It was an effort of will to resist a scathing retort.

“I think he’s hideous,” a demon in the shadows called.  “Angels are our enemies.  Every time I look at Paimon’s favorite, I want to draw sword.”

Jealousy and envy gleamed in Evolz’s yellow eyes.  The demon reeked of the Pit.  Sulfur wasn’t an enticing perfume.  “Now, who would want to spit our lovely Salseph on a sword?”

“Let me pass.” Seph would have shouldered by Evolz, but touching the creature repulsed him.

“Coming home from another assignment?” Evolz smirked.

Seph refused to give the other demon the satisfaction of a reply.  He was returning from another demeaning mission with his stomach in a knot and his heart bleeding for a poor human woman whose only sin was falling in love with him.

“Did you eat her baby or pump a little half-demon into her womb?”  Evolz leered, his glob of a head tilted to the side, his hairy ears wagging.

“I don’t consume human flesh.  Now, step aside.”

“Or you’ll do what?  Report me to Paimon?”

Seph flared his wings, striking the demon and sweeping Evolerzzal into a stumbling retreat.  “Sorry, Evolz.”  He drove his wings down hard, rising straight into the sultry, close air.  Voice dripping sarcasm, he said, “I forget how powerful I really am.”

He hovered above the gross blob, his condescending smile goading Evolz to react.  The demon glared at him but said nothing, a quick comeback beyond his limited mental capacity.  Why were they all so fiendish?   One of the monsters tried to capture his ankle.  Laughing, he flew higher and, still chuckling, soared toward home.  The place I hide.  He’d never thought of the dim stone cavern as home.  His heart stuttered over a painful beat.  He had no home and belonged nowhere.

 

5 comments

  1. Beth Trissel // May 19, 2013 at 1:27 PM  

    Oh, I love your hair thing. Sounds like something I would enjoy. :) And your new cover, of course, is fabulous. I already know I enjoyed the story. :)

  2. Mary Marvella // May 19, 2013 at 3:20 PM  

    I always though you looked fabulous with long hair! Remember the first time I saw you?

    Can't wait to see your "new" hair.
    I love your cover, too!

  3. Pamela Varnado // May 20, 2013 at 12:06 PM  

    Linda, I love your post and can so relate to your hair woes, girlfriend. And your cover, as usual, is intriguing enough to make everyone read your story.

  4. Mary Ricksen // May 21, 2013 at 8:01 PM  

    You'd be beautiful bald sweetie!!!
    Text send me the pic on your phone.
    I so get the thin hair mine is thin too!

  5. Mary Marvella // May 24, 2013 at 2:10 AM  

    She was beautiful bald and with caps.