Romantic Scotland

Posted by Hildie McQueen | 9:54 AM | 17 comments »

There is nothing we romance writers love more than, well romance.
When reading historical romances, I dreamed of one day traveling to Scotland and seeing firsthand the magical places where the wonderful stories took place.  I wanted to walk where they walked, stand where battles were fought and receive the gaze of a lover when standing and beholding the wonder of the Highlands. Maybe even catch a glimpse of a Highlander in a Kilt! Me and thousands of others right?
When I planned a trip to Scotland, I also planned to fall in love with the country.  Never did I suspect that I’d fall totally head over heels in love with Scotland and it's people, the soul, of Scotland.  My eyes mist just at remembering the many warm moments, while my girlfriends and I spent ten days discovering the wonderful city of Edinburgh, traveling from the lowlands to the highlands wishing each moment would stretch indefinitely.   
As days passed, each of us crossed an item off our bucket list. Yet I can bet that we would have a terrible time choosing our favorite moment. Was it when stepping up to the anvil where young lovers married in Gretna Green?  Or was it strolling through the beautiful lands of St. Andrews Cathedral or standing in the small chapel at Falkland castle where Mary Queen of Scots worshipped?  Or perhaps it can be measured by our gasps of awe at catching our first glimpses of Eilean Donan Castle, as it stood proud with the misty highland mountains as backdrop. 


The Scots are an amazing warm, caring people. Our driver sang to us, “Over the Bridge to Skye,” as he took us to the Isle of Skye. His tenor voice was as engaging as the scenery outside. The young man who carried one of our heavy bags at the train station, without expecting to be thanked was a charmer. We met a twenty-one year old, who sat with us at a pub and entertained us with stories of his youth.  In the Highland village of Plockton, a small pub band played an American tune for us when we entered the room, the entire room clapping in time with the beat.  Our B&B host took us on a private ride on his boat, and gave us an upclose look at Duncraig castle. The way his wife and he made us feel, like family for the duration of our stay.  And the piece de’ resistance, the same host taking his boat out on the loch and waving a huge red banner so that when our departing train went by we’d know he wished us farewell.
So dear readers, regain romance, go to Scotland, and come back so in love, your face will lighten when asked.  “How did you like Scotland?”  Of course my answer is.
“I can’t wait to return!”


My First book Desperate Betrayal is now available at Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble!

Because Sometimes Betrayal is the Only Way to Save the One You Love!
Visit my blog at:  HildieMcQueen.com



17 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // October 12, 2011 at 10:47 AM  

    Hey, this is your first blog here as a member!

    We need a party!

    Your blog reminded me of my short visit to Scotland. My daughter and I went there for her to photograph 2 weddings in one week. We had a lovely time and I have photos of Scotland and England in the rain. Yep. It rained every day.

  2. Hildie McQueen // October 12, 2011 at 10:59 AM  

    Yes we do need a party! I'll bring cake! I love Scotland!

  3. Barbara Monajem // October 12, 2011 at 11:50 AM  

    I visited Ireland this summer, and felt much the same way. MUST RETURN!!

  4. Pamela Varnado // October 12, 2011 at 12:15 PM  

    Welcome, Hildie.

    I'm excited you've joined us. You've been to Scotland; Barbara's traveled to Ireland, and I have to admit I don't know too much about either country. What's the difference? When I think of visiting that part of the world, I always think of Ireland because of the images in my head of rolling hills and miles of green landscape.

  5. Barbara Monajem // October 12, 2011 at 12:58 PM  

    I was mostly in Northern Ireland, and it was certainly green - but it was summer, so that's not surprising.

  6. Beth Trissel // October 12, 2011 at 12:59 PM  

    How wonderful. I loved hearing about your trip to beautiful Scotland. Great pics too.

  7. Hildie McQueen // October 12, 2011 at 2:08 PM  

    Thank you ladies. Ireland is also on my Bucket list. I can't wait to go there!!!

  8. Patrice Wilton // October 12, 2011 at 4:00 PM  

    Hi Hildie,
    What a beautiful post, and yes, I've been there, and seen the sights you described. Edinburough is a gorgeous little town, and we stayed at Glen Eagles and golfed. It was an amazing place, and we went back a couple of times, since we were living in London at the time.
    Nice to have you here!

  9. Mary Marvella // October 12, 2011 at 4:25 PM  

    My daughter and I were near Edinburough and went to an Island that was the summer home for a king whose name I forgot. It was 10 years ago. I really need to go back and find those details because the trip was wonderful!

  10. Connie Gillam // October 12, 2011 at 5:25 PM  

    Hildie-

    You made Scotland come alive for me. Thanks for the pics. I visited Europe for the first time about three years ago. I loved the south of France. Can't wait to visit Scotland.

  11. Mona Risk // October 12, 2011 at 10:49 PM  

    Congratulations on your first appearance, Hildie. I really enjoyed your report on Scotland as I'm dreaming of going there. Maybe next year, who knows.

  12. Scarlet Pumpernickel // October 13, 2011 at 12:15 AM  

    Welcome Hildie! We're so glad to have you become a pink fuzzie! Love the pictures and stories of your visit to Scotland. I hope to visit there one day. Have Scottish blood in me veins, I do. With Cameron and Addison women married to Swiss and French husbands and a few Native American grandmothers to round out the mix, our family tree is a right tangled bush!

  13. Judith Keim // October 13, 2011 at 7:26 AM  

    Hildie, your trip sounds fabulous! I stayed just one night in southern Scotland as part of another trip but your pictures and stories make me want to go there for a real visit! Glad you had such a fun trip!

  14. Josie // October 13, 2011 at 12:57 PM  

    Hildie,
    Hurray for our first blog on the Pink Fuzzies. I visited Scotland a few years back for 2 weeks for a home exchange. We stayed in Glasgow, and took the train everywhere. The entire family still describes the trip with misty eyes. You described it perfectly.

  15. Hildie McQueen // October 13, 2011 at 4:46 PM  

    So you understand Josie! It's a dream isn't it? Thanks for your comment.

  16. Mary Ricksen // October 14, 2011 at 9:01 PM  

    Now that Hildie sounds like my kinda trip! I know I would love it too!

  17. Unknown // October 17, 2011 at 2:19 PM  

    I've always wanted to visit Scotland. Your blog was inspirational! I will go some day- I WILL I WILL!! :)