Queen of Kindle (LOL)

Posted by Patrice Wilton | 8:50 AM | 22 comments »

Good morning everyone,
After Liz's blog yesterday, this will be a hard act to follow. Wasn't that interesting about her own experience going shopping by herself in Belize? Scary.
Anyway, I'm going to talk about more mundane things. Like publishing on Kindle. I took the leap this summer as I was moving house and needed a break from writing. In my twenty years of writing, I have had little success. Two books with small press, that didn't earn me a dime. I spent more on promotional tools then I ever made on royalties. I have an agent and she has been unable to sell me to New York. Frustration was setting in. I was no longer enjoying the journey. I had worked too long and too hard for too little. Anyone out there know what I mean?
Yes, I heard the success stories of authors who made fame and fortune by self-publishing on Kindle, and I thought--good for them. Well, right of the bat, I want to warn you, that I'm not one of them.
But my romantic comedy, Replacing Barnie, is now making me a very nice monthly check. It has somehow skyrocketed to the top 700 out of 750,000 kindle books. And please don't ask me how I did this-what fantastic promotional campaign did I brilliantly create? I didn't. I didn't promote or do anything because the entire summer it was all about packing, and moving, and unpacking, and remodeling, etc. When I finally found out how to learn about my sales number, I was elated to see that each week the numbers grew. Last month I sold 940 books, this month 860 so far in two weeks. I have two more books that I put up as fast as I could, and they are doing well, but so far the .99cent book is the real money maker. Perhaps it's all in the price. Perhaps, people, other than editors, like romantic comedy. Perhaps it was a cute cover. It's all a crap shoot, I say, and sometimes we just get lucky.
As an experiment, I have bought books in the same genre and same price range as my own books, and have seen the number of sales go up that day. That is the only genius plan I have.
My good friend, Traci Hall, has dubbed me the Queen of Kindle, and if it last's for a day, or a week, or as long as it does, I'm enjoying the small success and find I'm eager to start writing again.
Hope this blog inspires you, and gives you hope, faith, and the courage to keep following your dream.
Good luck, everyone.

22 comments

  1. Cynthia Thomason // October 17, 2011 at 9:23 AM  

    Patrice, congratulations on your success! You are doing much better than I am on Kindle, and your story gives me hope. Like you say, it is a crap shoot and we all have to be grateful for the little (or big) bumps we get! Continued success.
    Cynthia Thomason

  2. Allison Chase // October 17, 2011 at 9:36 AM  

    Dear Queen Patrice - this is amazing! Exactly the kind of story the rest of us dream about. Obviously you've struck a chord with readers and they're spreading the word. That's the best kind of promotion there is - just writing a fantastic book.

  3. Mona Risk // October 17, 2011 at 10:34 AM  

    Dear Queen of Kindle, may I be your lady-in-waiting? Following in your footsteps, I got back my rights from TWRP for Rx for Trust. Four days ago, I uploaded it on Amazon.com under a new title NO MORE LIES and a new cover for $0.99I don't expect the first prize but I'd be happy to do better than at TWRP.

    Our Queen here has a very funny Barnie book that readers-and me too-fell in love with.

  4. Patrice Wilton // October 17, 2011 at 10:52 AM  

    Thank you, Cynthis, Allison, and Mona. You are all such talented authors, and deserve to sell a ton of books. I'm sure it will happen. I'm still taking it one day at a time, hoping the bubble won't burst too soon. But for now, I'm enjoying the ride!

  5. Melissa Alvarez // October 17, 2011 at 11:33 AM  

    Congratulations on your success, Patrice! This is awesome news.

  6. Mary Ricksen // October 17, 2011 at 12:15 PM  

    I bow to you oh Queen Patrice! And I am gonna do the same thing!
    It's wonderful, and the smile on your sweet face, is the thrill we get to see.
    Good luck my friend, and sell a million!!!

  7. Autumn Jordon // October 17, 2011 at 12:20 PM  

    Patrice, Thank you for being so honest about your journey. It's word of mouth helping you and that is the best PR you can get. Kudos for not giving up on your dream.

  8. Traci // October 17, 2011 at 12:26 PM  

    Patrice, you are sooo funny, lol - I couldn't be happier for you! I remember when you first wrote this book and I thought it was great then, too. I think the best part about the whole thing is you reconnecting with your love for writing!

  9. Nightingale // October 17, 2011 at 1:00 PM  

    Way to go Patrice!! I self pubbed a novella on Smashwords but it hasn't made it to Amazon yet. It isn't selling on Smashwords though. You keep going great guns, Queen of the Kindle!

  10. Patrice Wilton // October 17, 2011 at 3:28 PM  

    Thanks Melissa. Mary, it's nice to have something to smile about. Can't wait for your books to get up there too!
    Autumn, it is exciting, and I was this close to giving up my dream. The pain was greater than the gain.
    Linda, Smashwords haven't sold any of mine, so I'm going direct to Kindle now. Nook didn't sell much either. Traci-you're right. Getting my zest back for writing is the best part of all this craziness!

  11. Then // October 17, 2011 at 4:19 PM  

    Congratulations, Patrice! I'm so happy to hear about the success of REPLACING BARNIE -- such a terrific, funny book. Here's to you for trying something new and to all the lucky reader who have discovered you because of it!

  12. Carol Burnside aka Annie Rayburn // October 17, 2011 at 5:05 PM  

    It's always great and inspiring to hear of Indie publishing success. Yes, I'd say you're successful. My numbers haven't gotten that high yet, but they're climbing.

    Wishing you even more sales!

  13. Michael Meeske // October 17, 2011 at 6:59 PM  

    Patrice, I think we have both done our share of crying in our beer, and for too long. This was the best thing that could every happen to you. You deserve such success, my dear. I should be so lucky, but I may have to reduce my price - - someday!In the meantime, enjoy the ride,and,hopefully, all our books will be as successful as yours!

  14. Mary Marvella // October 17, 2011 at 8:50 PM  

    All hail Queen Patrice! May I kiss your ring? I'd love to have sales like yours. Go, you!

  15. Pamela Varnado // October 17, 2011 at 8:51 PM  

    Queen Patrice, don't short-change yourself. You wrote an amazing story. If not, it wouldn't be doing as well as it is-no matter what the price is. Keep doing what you're doing-and raking in the dough.

  16. Patrice Wilton // October 17, 2011 at 9:25 PM  

    Katie! Beautiful Katie. Thanks so much, sweetie. I only hope one day I can join the big league like you.
    Carol -good luck on your Indies. I hope it works out for you.
    Michael-yes, we are doing something positive and hopefully we will find a new joy within.
    Mary and Pam,
    Queen for the day is better than no Queen at all. I'm enjoying my moment's fame. Good luck to all.

  17. Judith Keim // October 18, 2011 at 12:06 PM  

    Patrice, I'm so happy for your success on Kindle. Iknow the despair of working hard and being unable to break through to NY publishers. I've thought about epubbing and perhaps I will someday. I'm wishing you continued success!

  18. Barbara Monajem // October 18, 2011 at 7:48 PM  

    Congrats, Patrice!! What an encouraging story.

  19. Scarlet Pumpernickel // October 18, 2011 at 8:40 PM  

    Congratulations Patrice on your outstanding ranking on Kindle. You should be very proud of your books! Awesome, lady, just awesome.

  20. Beth Trissel // October 19, 2011 at 1:36 PM  

    Congrats Patrice! I know you are a good author cause I really enjoy your writing. So that figures in. I also think it's a crap shoot at Amazon.

  21. Patrice Wilton // October 19, 2011 at 8:35 PM  

    Thank you everyone,
    But I still feel as if this bubble can burst anytime. You know how it is--when you've been disappointed so often, it's hard to believe that good luck can continue.
    But I think more people are buying e-readers, and this is only the beginning of the boom!

  22. Josie // October 20, 2011 at 3:44 PM  

    Patrice,
    This is a wonderful post. I am so thrilled for you! Your success is much-deserved after 20 years.

    Sincere congrats and I wish you many, many more sales.