Angels are androgynous, and above the baser cravings of humankind.

Above reproach.

However, in the Book of Enoch, we meet The Grigori or Watchers. In the course of their visitation to Humankind, they become the voyeurs.

Angels being considered sexless and above reproach, the church was challenged to explain how they mated with mortal women. In the thirteenth century, the Bishop of Paris adopted a typical compromise. According to his theory, there were nine orders of angels but it was a separate one, the tenth that fell. These Sons of God saw the Daughters of Man and, we are told in Genesis 6, lusted after seductive flesh and took themselves wives from among them [women].

This was a neat solution to a discomforting theological double-bind. For it was difficult to reconcile a theology which insisted that angels were sexless with the damning evidence from the Scriptures showing these lusty celestials were enthusiastically proving the opposite.

Angels are not supposed to be able to produce offspring. Only demons can procreate. Angelic lore has it that the Grigori are nearer in form, genes and sexual interest to human beings, and that they had a genuine friendship and desire to teach humankind the secrets of Heaven. Azazel, the protagonist in my recently released Night Before Doomsday taught women the arts of seduction—makeup, how to dress, etc.

There were ten leaders of the Grigori, once illustrious angels, all listed as fallen by the fourth century. Of the two hundred angels who descended to Earth, nine-tenths fell to lust, siring the Nephilim. The Bible has this to say about the Nephilim: The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.

Anyone who has seen Supernatural or the short-lived series The Fallen will be familiar with TV’s version of the Nephilim.

This novella is an alternate history and the tale of the Grigori told in first person from the leader Azazel’s POV. The cover is the sigil (a mark given at his creation to each angel) of the angel Azazel. The sigil and the characters of any angel, light or dark, are used in alchemy to summon that angel. There were nights when I was writing Night Before Doomsday and I, Azazel, an as yet unpublished novel, when the hair at my nape would stir and I’d curl closer in my bed.

I’d like to share the blurb from NBD and an excerpt.

Blurb:


In Genesis, "The sons of God saw that the daughters of men were fair; and they took wives for themselves from those who were pleasing to them."Azazel was a leader of the Grigori, the angels sent to Earth to teach Mankind after the oust from Eden, how to survive in a less hospitable environment. Nine-tenths of the Grigori fell from Grace, but was it love or lust?This novella presents the Grigori's tale in first person from Azazel's point of view--the temptations, his struggles and the final realization that Heaven doesn't speak to him anymore.

Excerpt:


Eyes lined with charcoal as I’d taught them, lips rouged by my own hand mocked me. A bold hand slid beneath my robe, up my thigh, and gripped my shaft. The hot vibration deep inside trembled along my organ, growing longer and stiff.

Like a spider's web touched by a candle's flame, memories of Home shriveled.

Gentle Magdalene smoothed the hair back from my face, staring at my shocked expression. “Oh, Azazel.” A fingertip traced my cheek. “Did we hurt you?”

“No.” I clamored to my feet, bewildered by the feelings torturing me.

None would meet my gaze. Lord of Hosts, if they were afraid of me, I was doubly afraid of them. I’d never felt desire or the effect passion had on the body. If I had experienced sexual longings, I’d ignored them. Now, I could no longer pretend. My body yearned for something I’d believed to be the province of Man and the beasts.

Ruth winked a painted eyelid. In her dark eyes, amusement twinkled.

“Ungrateful rabble.” I tossed my hair back and folded my wings around me, brushing the dust from my feathers. “I make you alluring. You repay me by rolling me in the dirt and trying to tickle me to death.”

“You’re an angel.” Ruth undulated her shoulders. The lush breasts pointed at me swayed. “You can’t die.”

Oh, but I was dying. More than they could possibly know. Dying to touch them, dying for them to touch me, caress me there again. Before my face revealed forbidden desire, I schooled my expression stern.


Night Before Doomsday is available from Smashwords.

15 comments

  1. Beth Trissel // September 30, 2011 at 10:38 AM  

    Linda, the story behind the story is fascinating. And I know the story itself is superbly written and intriguing because I've read it. High five to you and your amazing imagination. And all the research you did to come up with this.

  2. Nightingale // September 30, 2011 at 10:46 AM  

    Thanks Beth. I'm delighted you liked the story. Do you like the cover? My son designed it.

  3. Toni V.S. // September 30, 2011 at 11:01 AM  

    At last Azzi's getting his side of the story told! Go, Linda!

  4. Mona Risk // September 30, 2011 at 11:20 AM  

    Linda, this is so interesting. I never heard of the Gregori or Nephilim. In school, the good nuns made sure we read only the approved pages of the Bible. Time to widen my horizon.

  5. Lilly Gayle // September 30, 2011 at 11:21 AM  

    I've only recently developed an interest in Grigoi and angels. And this post is great. Your book sounds good too. Thanks for sharing.

  6. Nightingale // September 30, 2011 at 1:54 PM  

    Thanks for visiting Mona and Lily Gayle. I didn't read all this until several years ago, either Mona, but then I became very interested and pursued the research.

  7. Mary Marvella // September 30, 2011 at 6:24 PM  

    So much to learn, Linda!

  8. Mary Marvella // September 30, 2011 at 6:24 PM  

    Hey,I met Patrice today. She's at M&M with us.

  9. Bianca Swan // September 30, 2011 at 8:40 PM  

    MM and Patrice -- wish I could be at Moonlight & Magnolias too. Next year for sure!!

  10. Nightingale // September 30, 2011 at 8:42 PM  

    Sorry my alter-ego responded. Thanks Mary for dropping by when you must be having a lot of FUN!!! Have some for me too.

  11. Josie // October 1, 2011 at 2:13 PM  

    Fascinating excerpt, Linda. As always, I'm awed by your writing. And please tell your son he designed a fabulous cover.

  12. Nightingale // October 3, 2011 at 9:24 AM  

    Thanks Josie! I'll pass the word along to my son. He'll be pleased.

  13. Pamela Varnado // October 3, 2011 at 11:00 AM  

    Linda, your new name is Research Queen. I love the way you uncover new facts, and I always learn something new when I read your posts. The Gregori - wow! I've never heard of them, but they're fascinating.

    And I love your cover design. Your son is talented. Good job!

  14. Patrice Wilton // October 3, 2011 at 8:49 PM  

    Wow -that was some post. Very good, Linda, enjoyed it.

  15. Scarlet Pumpernickel // October 3, 2011 at 9:44 PM  

    Linda, I can't wait to down load this and add it to my collection. I love your work! This is an amazing story. Thanks for sharing with us.