The joys of moving

Posted by Patrice Wilton | 9:10 AM | 10 comments »

Good morning everyone,
I had hoped to have a wonderful guest this morning, my good friend and fellow author, Melinda Leigh, but I moved this month and have a new computer that is giving me grief. Why can't anything in the publishing business be easy? LOL. I know I shouldn't whine, because I have a gorgeous new computer with a built-in hard drive, that you can scribble on like an I-Pad, and once I figure it out, it will be magical. Therefore, I have put my interview with Melinda on hold, but would like to say that she is a new debut author for Montlake Romance, the new Amazon imprint. Isn't that exciting?
Anyway, my life this month has been hectic to say the least. We sold our house, which had been on the market for nearly 3 years!!! and moved to a slightly smaller home in the same golf community. Now, this is all good news because I'm in love with my new house, but we are doing many upgrades and renovations which is exhausting, exciting, and work. We haven't had the house to ourselves since we moved in. New tiles, new carpet, new paint, and now a new bathroom.
I have books to market, another to edit, and one to rewrite, but neither the time nor the inclination, or the old computer to do this on. So, one day at a time.
What has everyone else been doing this summer? Nice holidays, visits with the kids, writing, reading, taking in movies? Share your best summer story, and win a free book from me. I would love to give away a copy of my newest release, ALL OF ME, a moving story about a woman who'd do darn near anything to save her daughter's life.
Would love to hear from you.

10 comments

  1. Autumn Jordon // September 1, 2011 at 11:17 AM  

    And the general public have this lay back illustion of a writer's life. LOL. I'm running the course with you sister.

    Congrats on the new house, and computer. A golf community is my DH's dream. It sounds FAB.

    Congrats to Melinda on the release. Do you have her website url to share?

  2. Judith Keim // September 1, 2011 at 12:57 PM  

    Hi, Patrice! Good luck with the new house. It sounds like you're busy but I'm sure you'll be happy with the end result. And I'll be anxious to hear more about your new computer! We've been busy with family this summer which is nice because they live on the west coast!

  3. Mary Marvella // September 1, 2011 at 2:49 PM  

    Funny how life gets in the way of writing. Moving would not be good for me!

    Hope you enjoy the new digs and the new toy and find time to devote to your writing.

    I already told about my trip to NY City for National and my class reunion. Tomorrow I'm heading for DragonCon for the Labor Day weekeed.

  4. Josie // September 1, 2011 at 4:31 PM  

    Hi Patrice,
    My summer has been filled with one word--outside Renovations! We've put a concrete deck around our pool, and added a screened porch to the back of the house.
    This is the 15th week, and looks like we're finally seeing the end, for now.

  5. Patrice Wilton // September 1, 2011 at 4:40 PM  

    Thanks everyone for responding. I'm hoping to get this computer figured out real soon, and will be able to have my guest next week.

  6. Hildie McQueen // September 1, 2011 at 10:32 PM  

    A new super-duper computer, how exciting! Once you get the hang of it, you'll be amazed at how you got along without it. I'm working on my five year old Mac that i should upgrade, but I'm scared! Congrats on your new place!!

  7. Tamara LeBlanc // September 2, 2011 at 7:23 AM  

    What a great computer! Best of luck in learning its tricks:)
    And best wishes with the house too!!
    I've had a fabulous summer, so all is well here.
    Looking forward to reading Melinda's post.
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Tamara

  8. Beth Trissel // September 2, 2011 at 8:16 AM  

    Hi Patrice! Whewwww, I don't envy you a move. I moved a lot when I was growing up and have planted myself on this farm and refuse to leave. Your computer sounds wonderful but I also intensely dislike getting used to a new one. Such a pain for those of us who are challenged in this area. Too much going on for you to focus on all of your wonderful writing just now. When life settles your head will better wrap around it all. I would like to hear more about the story you mentioned. Sounds riveting.

  9. Patrice Wilton // September 2, 2011 at 8:28 PM  

    Thanks everyone, but on top of my problems yesterday I also lost my internet connection in the afternoon and didn't get it back until this afternoon. What a day!
    Anyway,thanks for your positive comments and I chose Beth as a recipient for my new book, but it was a hard decision. Whew!!! Glad I don't have to make those everyday.

  10. Scarlet Pumpernickel // September 3, 2011 at 6:58 PM  

    Patrice,
    Been there done that got the t-shirt. We spent six months remodeling and moving last year. It was a real challenge, but I love the new house. Especially my new office. The kitchen is a dream! Hope you enjoy your new home. Looking forward to Melinda's visit when you get learn the new computer. Congrats on the new release.