We have a guest today.


Hello, Hildie! I am so pleased you agreed to visit the Pink Fuzzy Slipper Writers today. Does someone we know have a book sale to announce? Hmmm?


So tell us what you think makes a perfect hero.


What Makes The Perfect Hero?


Magnetism? The curl of his upper lip? Hard, bulging muscles?

All of these things!


I am not only a writer, but also a voracious reader who loves a good hero. The heroes that stand out are the ones I get to know, the dark brooding types capture me.


I firmly believe that what we [the readers] are hungry for, upon cracking open the book, is to get to know these men. What they think, how they feel, and what makes them who they are.

The main thing that sets the standout hero apart is his distinct personality. We want each man to be vastly different, each a unique person.


Every once in a while, I’m saddened to read a story where the hero’s personality is not captured. It’s such a disappointment when the writer misses the mark by focusing too much on his physical attributes and doesn’t take the time to explore his individuality.


I’m sure that as authors write more and more heroes, it becomes harder to keep each one of them distinct. Perhaps it’s a challenge to ensure the hero of each story is a totally different person, rarely sharing a trait or mannerism of another.


It’s a harrowing trail, the art of exploring these fascinating, drool worthy specimens that live in our imaginations—to bring them to life and ensure that the reader gets to know every single wonderful detail of their bodies, minds and souls.


Oh the suffering.


Hildie McQueen

Author of Desperate Betrayal, Coming Sept 2011

www.hildiemcqueen.com

23 comments

  1. Beth Trissel // August 24, 2011 at 8:56 AM  

    Hello Hilda! Welcome to the Fuzzies. Super post. Yes indeed we love a good hero!

  2. Beth Trissel // August 24, 2011 at 8:57 AM  

    Woops, I see you spell your name Hildie. Some of us are still recovering from the earthquake. That, and I need to get my glasses adjusted.

  3. Pamela Varnado // August 24, 2011 at 10:28 AM  

    Welcome Hildie,
    You're right, a hero is much more than his physical characteristics. I'm always have a ah-ha moment when i discover what incident from a hero's past made him the man he is today.

  4. Patrice Wilton // August 24, 2011 at 12:42 PM  

    Hi Hilda,
    You certainly sound like a writer, as well as a reader. I hope I don't disappoint anyone with my beautiful men, but I do have a tendency to make them almost too nice, because my ex was unkind and I don't find that sexy.But it is a challenge to keep them all unique and special, that's for sure.

  5. Judith Keim // August 24, 2011 at 4:01 PM  

    Hi, Hildie! Welcome to the Pink Fuzzies...Yummy heroes are so satisfying...I see you have a book coming out in September. Good luck with it!!

  6. Mona Risk // August 24, 2011 at 5:00 PM  

    Hi Hildie, welcome to the PFS. this picture shows a gorgeous man with gorgeous lips. I am not saying more, but I can't stop staring at his lips. I love a somber hero, but I like him with a sense of humor, even if sarcastic.

  7. Hildie McQueen // August 24, 2011 at 6:20 PM  

    Thanks Beth, Glad you are okay!

  8. Hildie McQueen // August 24, 2011 at 6:20 PM  

    You're right Pamela, the hero does at one point come to life for us!

  9. Hildie McQueen // August 24, 2011 at 6:21 PM  

    Hey Patrice, nice guys are sexy. I tend towards the tortured hero, but he's not everyone's cup of tea either. We have to work towards balance. Hey, but it's a fun ride!!!

  10. Hildie McQueen // August 24, 2011 at 6:22 PM  

    Isn't he gorgeous Mona!!!??? And he can have any personality you want him to!!

  11. Mary Ricksen // August 24, 2011 at 7:34 PM  

    Hi Hilda. Welcome!
    I could suffer with him for a bit. Your idea of a hero fits mine. I hate when someone tells me a hero can't have emotional feelings. He can't cry. Ha! I wouldn't want a man who couldn't get teared up if he witnessed say, the gruesome death of a young child. And then he should get angry!!!I want a hero who is much more then a macho man. And I loved what you had to say...

  12. Hildie McQueen // August 24, 2011 at 9:25 PM  

    Thanks Mary! Love our Heroes!! Yep, tears and all.

  13. Mary Marvella // August 24, 2011 at 9:50 PM  

    I'm still looking back at that handsome face! Someone has spent the day editing. Not Mary M.

  14. Hildie McQueen // August 24, 2011 at 10:34 PM  

    Shame on you Mary! He is def eye candy!

  15. Scarlet Pumpernickel // August 25, 2011 at 8:39 PM  

    Great post Hildie. Heroes are my favorite subject. Glad you stopped by to visit with the Fuzzies.

  16. Hildie McQueen // August 25, 2011 at 9:56 PM  

    Thank you Scarlett, I am enjoying it!

  17. Mary Marvella // August 26, 2011 at 3:04 AM  

    Actually, guest who was editing all day, I was proofing and editing for someone else.

  18. Linsey Lanier // August 26, 2011 at 6:53 AM  

    Well, that woke me up. I love that picture, hubba, hubba.

    And thanks, Hildie, for the reminder to make our heroes more than a piece of meat. Good advice.

    Good luck with "Desperate Betrayal."

  19. Nightingale // August 26, 2011 at 1:41 PM  

    You have captured the essence--the personality and inner being. Now I'm wondering if the hero in my last book jumped off the page!!

  20. Mary Marvella // August 27, 2011 at 2:25 AM  

    Great job, Hildie

  21. Josie // August 27, 2011 at 2:24 PM  

    Hi Hildie,
    Welcome to the Pink Fuzzies, and thanks to MM for inviting you.
    The hero is the essence of any romance, IMHO. It's up to the writer to make the reader fall in love with him.

  22. Mary Ricksen // August 27, 2011 at 2:26 PM  

    Welcome Hildie!
    A hero has to be a complete package!
    You're so right!
    Develop that character!

  23. Tami Brothers // August 27, 2011 at 2:33 PM  

    Hey Hildie!

    Totally agree. I LOVE to "see" the hero, but I can't really LOVE him until he becomes real. Just me, though.

    Thanks for blogging over here.

    Tami