Lake Champlain

When the plane landed in Burlington, Vermont, I had tears in my eyes. It had been awhile since I'd been there and I couldn't help myself. The mountains bring a pang to my heart. As they surround the beautiful, majestic Lake Champlain, the misty ring of hills and valley are a fairyland of beauty. Descending through the clouds I came home.
My sister picked me up and she is a non stop talker. She can tell you the same thing forty different ways. We drive through town which blows me away. Every time I get there, which is rarely, I cannot recognize a thing. There is so much change and growth there, that it's hard to place myself. But once we drive over the long road that leads to the Islands, all is the same. The rural countryside has some changes, but it retains the flavor it had in my youth. I played at the Sand Bar beach, I am headed home. Town is not much to speak of, there can't be many people living in South Hero year round. I drive by Tish's Silver and know I am gonna buy a Celtic ring from her. We turn at the pharmacy and head down the dirt road toward my family's camp. It's right on the lake and the second I see it I cry again. The wrap around deck invites me to sit and look at the lake.


Lake Champlain PhotoZoning out and not caring about the problems I left on the plane, I relax. The soothing sound of the water as it laps against the shore invites me. The sunset is striking and every day it is the highlight. We watch the sun sink below the mountains in the distance and the second it disappears we all gasp. The colors change from bright yellow, to orange. As the sunlight descends it even brings pink, maroon, and darker blues before the Evening Star appears and heralds the blackness of a starry night. I can see the milky  way, which I can't see in Florida. There are no city lights to dampen the brightness of the myriad stars that surround me. An errant satellite flashes across the sky and we all ooh and ahhh about it. When the mosquito's begin to be gallon dippers, it's time to go inside. Milky Way IR Spitzer.jpg

There's no place like home!





16 comments

  1. Autumn Jordon // August 16, 2011 at 7:54 AM  

    So true, Mary. There is no place like home. Everytime I go away, even to NY this past June, when I come through the Blue Mountain Gap and enter the valley of my home I sigh.

    Burlington, VT was part of my honeymoon. DH and I took the lake cruise . It was in October. It was cold, but so pretty. I'd love to visit the area again.

  2. Judith Keim // August 16, 2011 at 8:41 AM  

    Mary, what a lovely blog. I know a bit about the area and it is beautiful. More than that, it's being home again that makes it beautiful as you said so well. Enjoy those times...

  3. Nightingale // August 16, 2011 at 12:51 PM  

    How beautiful, both the writing and the photos. I wish I'd been on that trip with you, Mary. The place sounds heavenly with the lake and the mountains.

  4. Mary Marvella // August 16, 2011 at 2:33 PM  

    I know that feeling you shared so well. Mama's house in Macon was home, even though she bought it after I was grown. Grandmama Mary's house in Augusta is home. Grandma Overby's house in rural Mississippi is home. Each place brings those tears that clog my throat, even when they don't make it to my eyes.

    Thanks!

  5. Mary Marvella // August 16, 2011 at 2:34 PM  

    The photos were wonderful!

  6. Mary Ricksen // August 16, 2011 at 4:30 PM  

    Thanks for stopping by. I guess we all have that place in our hearts that sparks when we go home!

  7. Hywela Lyn // August 16, 2011 at 4:46 PM  

    Hello sweet friend

    What a beautiful post, and lovely pictures, I felt I was there with you. You know how I feel the same way about my homeland in Wales, the mountains, the sun setting over the sea, and the tranquility and peace of the wild countryside. Even though the nearest town changes every time I go back, like the town you describe in Vermont, as soon as my feet touch Welsh soil, I know I've come home.

    We all have one place which lives in our heart and to which we are drawn, and dream of, wherever we are.

    Thanks so much for sharing this lovely experience.

  8. Hywela Lyn // August 16, 2011 at 4:47 PM  

    Hello sweet friend

    What a beautiful post, and lovely pictures, I felt I was there with you. You know how I feel the same way about my homeland in Wales, the mountains, the sun setting over the sea, and the tranquility and peace of the wild countryside. Even though the nearest town changes every time I go back, like the town you describe in Vermont, as soon as my feet touch Welsh soil, I know I've come home.

    We all have one place which lives in our heart and to which we are drawn, and dream of, wherever we are.

    Thanks so much for sharing this lovely experience. As you say 'there's no place like home.'

  9. Anonymous // August 16, 2011 at 6:50 PM  

    What a lovely magical place. I would love to visit it. There really is no place like home, is there? Thanks for sharing. I'm so glad you got to go home.

    Melba

  10. Jannine Gallant // August 16, 2011 at 10:23 PM  

    Lovely photos, beautiful place. In my youth, I spent a summer working for a family on Stave Island, a private island in the middle of Lake Champlain. So even though home for me is thousands of miles away from your special place, I have fond memories.

  11. P.L. Parker // August 17, 2011 at 9:04 AM  

    Great post Mary! I've only left Idaho for a couple of years back in the 70's and I was so glad to be back home. My roots are here and I love it. The pics you uploaded are beautiful, I can see why you love it so.

  12. Liz Flaherty // August 17, 2011 at 9:47 AM  

    My son and his family live on the side of a mountain about an hour away from Burlington. I'm a lifelong Hoosier, but our annual trek to VT still feels like going home. That's largely because we're seeing family, but some of it is the state itself. I love it there.

    Beautiful post!

  13. Beth Trissel // August 17, 2011 at 9:49 AM  

    Wonderful post and pics. My brother lives outside of Burlington near Lake Champlain. Very beautiful. Your writing is very touching too.

  14. Lynne Marshall // August 17, 2011 at 10:08 AM  

    Beautifully put, Beth. Loved every sentence. Thanks so much.

    Lynne Marshall

  15. Josie // August 17, 2011 at 12:32 PM  

    Mary,
    This is a lovely blog. The sunsets look spectacular. Home is a very special place, indeed.

  16. Mona Risk // August 17, 2011 at 5:47 PM  

    Yes Mary there is no place like home. Your pictures are gorgeous. Now I know why you love so much NH and why you talk about it with so much enthusiasm.