The Results of Keeping up with Technology

Posted by Judith Keim | 9:21 AM | 13 comments »

It all started when the image on my computer monitor blacked out and wouldn’t come back. And I couldn’t save what was on the computer if I had no way to view it. Result – New Monitor. After all it was 8 years old, which is a millennium in computer age. Grr.

Okay, I’d been talking about setting up a docking station because I have a desktop computer and a laptop, which I take to South Beach when we make our weekly trips for my husband’s work. Result – Purchase of a docking station.

I tried hooking up the computer to the docking station, but the new docking station and old keyboard were not compatible. Result – Purchase of new keyboard.

There was one last thing to do—hook up my good, reliable printer to docking station. But wait! There was no plug on the docking station to accommodate the printer. Another trip to Office Depot. (It had been three days of trying to get everything working and they knew me by now.) I was told that any new equipment wouldn’t accommodate a printer as old as mine. (8 yrs old) Result - Purchase new wireless printer, which isn’t that expensive because the printer cartridges are.

Everything is running now. Result -I’m still in the midst of setting up files on the laptop and making sure I’ve got all the stuff properly backed up on my external hard drive.

But wait! In order to accommodate the new equipment, some of which was sitting on top of the old CPU, I needed to get a new place to put it. Result –An evening of putting together a wooden file cabinet and the beginning of the huge job of going through all my hard copy files and reorganizing them and, thus, my entire office.

End Result – Frustration at wondering why it is that instead of being rewarded for taking care of equipment, we are punished because the manufacturers have deemed them to be no longer compatible with anything new.

Final End Result – The good news – old computer was given to charity, who happily accepted them. The bad news - our budget was blown to bits.

Final Final End Result –I am able to write again, something which is at the heart and soul of me. But damn… we sure are dependent on technology! And it’s sometimes a race to keep up!

13 comments

  1. Tamara LeBlanc // February 28, 2011 at 10:32 AM  

    Uggg, technology. I have a love, hate relationship with it.
    I feel your pain:}
    I'm so glad you're writing again. Hope the new electronics inspire greatness!!
    Have a lovely day!!!
    Tamara

  2. Autumn Jordon // February 28, 2011 at 10:40 AM  

    I know your pain. Been there in that evil place. Sorry it happen, but happy you're up and running.

  3. Pamela Varnado // February 28, 2011 at 11:57 AM  

    Judy, I'm glad you're back working. I know how frustrating it is to have your computer out of commission. And nothing makes me feel outdated like not understanding how something works. That's why I'm always researching the latest gadget. I'm determined not to be left behind.

    Good news: When you upgrade your computer through Best Buy, they will buy your old one.

  4. Mary Marvella // February 28, 2011 at 12:36 PM  

    Hey, you did it! Good for you. I was about to post it for you. Good thing I checked here. Go, Judy!

  5. Mary Marvella // February 28, 2011 at 12:39 PM  

    I'm with you ladies, my laptop, New White Baby, is VERY important to me! I am lost when my computers don't work and I mourned the loss of The older White Baby! I have a cell with a keyboard because I couldn't even put names in my contacts correctly! I can take photos but not send them.

    GREAT POST!

  6. Patrice Wilton // February 28, 2011 at 12:43 PM  

    Hi Judy,
    I had a hate on for my computer too last week - when it crashed, and I wasn't sure if I had my wip saved, although I do have an external hard drive. Brought in a computer guy, and he was able to save my computer and files, but discovered that the external drive was not hooked up and hadn't saved anything since July. Oh, woe is me. But I got lucky. Technology - can't live with em' can't live without 'em!

  7. Mary Ricksen // February 28, 2011 at 2:13 PM  

    It always seems to end up about money. I'm glad you are writing again, I hate when slumps take over for whatever the reason.
    I am about ready to get a new laptop and It's killing me to spend the money. But, this one is giving me fits!!!! So Judy I feel your annoyance!!!

  8. Mary Ricksen // February 28, 2011 at 2:13 PM  

    It always seems to end up about money. I'm glad you are writing again, I hate when slumps take over for whatever the reason.
    I am about ready to get a new laptop and It's killing me to spend the money. But, this one is giving me fits!!!! So Judy I feel your annoyance!!!

  9. Nightingale // February 28, 2011 at 2:32 PM  

    When my computer was stolen, I was lost. Had to run right out and buy another one before the insurance paid for the other one. Joanne, you have made Office Depot happy!

  10. Judith Keim // February 28, 2011 at 6:39 PM  

    Thanks for all the comments. I was totally freaked when I thought I couldn't get to the latest stuff. I'm on my computer constantly and feel deprived if I can't use it for writing and for catching up on all the news! Like y'all - love and hate being so dependent on it.

  11. Scarlet Pumpernickel // February 28, 2011 at 10:34 PM  

    Judy, I feel your pain! They build things to last about as long as it takes to get them paid for, then poof, something happens and they self distruct. It's a vast right wing conspiracy. As long as built in obsolesence rules, we will forever be replacing technology.

  12. Beth Trissel // March 1, 2011 at 8:07 PM  

    Very frustrating, I know. So been there, done that. But I'm glad you worked it all through.

  13. Josie // March 2, 2011 at 2:19 PM  

    Judy,
    Technology---you've gotta love it---or should I say hate it?