I'm listening to Jim Brickman's CD Destiny and loving the piano music. It stirs the imagination and calls to my muse. I've got a lovely scented candle burning and a fire in the fireplace. A friend invited me to visit today. She has a little farm in Alvin, and I would have enjoyed her company, her fireplace and old movies, but I opted to stay home and let the words of my WIP flow because recently they've been as sluggish as molasses.

Here's a tidbit that has started to flow. Since no one had posted today I thought I'd jump in and ask if I'm on the right track. Tentatively titled, Doomsday, here you go:

As if the sun had been switched off, the sky darkened. Lightning flashed, struck a small tree sizzling along the trunk. Thunder rumbled, shaking the ground. Fear streaked through her. That was way too close for comfort.She’d make a dash for the courthouse before the storm broke. As she stepped off the curb, the car came from nowhere.

A flash of white, the vehicle struck her left hip, and she was flying then falling. Her head slammed against the pavement with a resounding thud. Road rash burned her arm and leg. She grabbed her head, felt something warm, tensed for the pain. Nothing happened. She opened her eyes to gaze into the darkest eyes this side of midnight.

“You’re hurt,” he said, his voice tender music, “but I can heal you. In fact, you must survive.”

Wavy blond hair brushed the button-down collar of his white shirt. The beautiful voice soothed the gong echoing in her head, and his exquisite his face stunned her speechless. But the strange eyes were unnerving. They were totally black, obsidian orbs ringed long lashes.

“Who are you?” She looked around, and Main Street was a psychedelic blur. “Where am I?”

“You are with me.” He lifted her fingertips to his succulent lips. “Safe.” He tensed, sniffed the air, looked around. “We must go.”

Lightning fused heaven to earth. Thunder rolled across the bruised sky, drowning her gasp of awe and dread. In her twenty-five years, she’d never seen such a splendid and frightening display of electric force. Could the doomsday prophets be right? A hard shudder resonated through her entire body. Did the end of the Mayan calendar signify the end of days?

14 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // February 12, 2011 at 10:28 PM  

    TEASE! How dare you leave me like this, needing more!

  2. Nightingale // February 12, 2011 at 11:46 PM  

    Thanks MM. I'm still wondering where this is going!! As always, flying by the seat of my pants.

  3. Mona Risk // February 13, 2011 at 7:34 AM  

    Hi Linda, you have a nice voice. I bet now you are trying to organize your thoughts.

  4. Beth Trissel // February 13, 2011 at 7:59 AM  

    Beautiful and intriguing, Linda.

  5. Lind Nightingale // February 13, 2011 at 10:07 AM  

    Ladies, thanks! Is there enough detail and emotion? I'm having trouble fleshing it out. I know where it's going.

  6. Tamara LeBlanc // February 13, 2011 at 11:30 AM  

    Very, very compelling!
    I think the details are good. I get the gist of her accident, his eyes and voice, and the lightning is really well done.
    I think some of the best scenes often come out of total darkness. Often I have no idea where i'm going, but if I keep pushing the words, they find their own way!
    Good job. I enjoyed the excerpt.
    Have a lovely Sunday,
    Tamara

  7. Nightingale // February 13, 2011 at 11:44 AM  

    Today I'm going back through, fleshing out. I never know what is too little and what is too much!

    Thanks Tamara!

  8. Autumn Jordon // February 13, 2011 at 11:50 AM  

    Very interesting. Makes me wonder what will happen next.

  9. Barbara Monajem // February 13, 2011 at 10:09 PM  

    Spooky beginning!! I hope you'll post more soon.

  10. Scarlet Pumpernickel // February 13, 2011 at 11:22 PM  

    You've got my attention. Great start, now keep it flowing. Love the setting you've created for your writing. Who wouldn't be inspired to write? Makes me want to hit the keyboard. Oh, wait, I having been working all day. Thanks for sharing.

  11. Josie // February 14, 2011 at 12:45 PM  

    Wow, what an excerpt, Linda. Thanks for sharing. I'm a pantser, also.

  12. Nightingale // February 14, 2011 at 5:11 PM  

    Joan, so you're a panster too. Man, this one has been hard to write, then it just started flowing, the characters finally talking and I didn't have to throw away much which I usually have to do as I get to know the characters.

    Scarlet, I love my little writing nook. And nook it is, very small but just my style.

  13. Nightingale // February 14, 2011 at 5:11 PM  

    I'm writing this for the Samhain End of Days Anthology. Wish me luck!

  14. Mary Ricksen // February 15, 2011 at 4:49 PM  

    wonderful and...!!!