MY SALVATION

Posted by Autumn Jordon | 7:51 AM | , , , | 13 comments »

Recently, my husband went through a medical crisis. Within a few hours, this man who has never been sick went from being the healthiest person I know to facing a life changing event and two days later was hospitalized and underwent surgery. Days turned into weeks.

At first, I thought I’d go nuts as the most awful scenarios ran though my mind. I felt helpless, knowing our lives had change in a big way and would change even more. Then I thought, I’m working myself up over things of which I have no control and doing so would do neither of us any good. I, after all, had to remain strong for both of us and clear of mind so that I could ask the thousand questions we needed answered. To save my sanity, I turned to the one thing I had control over—my writing.

It just so happened, the same day my husband went into the hospital I received my galleys for my next book, IN THE PRESENCE OF EVIL.I opened the file and got to work reviewing notes from my editor and making sure all the changes I’d made on the last round of edits had been completed. When I was tired of working on them, I worked on my new wip. I had emailed my editor when first receiving the file and told her my situation and she graciously allowed me to take the time I needed. I was proud to email back the file to her not only in time but early.

Writing saved me from worrying years off my life. While writing, I had control over someone’s lives, even if they were fictional. Writing gave me purpose while I sat and waited for my husband to stir. This is not the first time writing has been my salvation and I’m sure it wouldn’t be my last.

Have you turned to writing as a means of keeping your sanity?

www.autumnjordon.com

13 comments

  1. Mona Risk // February 11, 2011 at 11:48 AM  

    Autumn, first let me tell you my prayers are with you and your husband. I hope he will keep on improving.

    My writing had helped me too when my Mom was in the hospital for almost a year. TO LOVE A HERO was edited in the hospital, and later BABIES IN THE BARGAIN. Every nurse and doctor knew I was writing and asked about the books' progress. These books saved my sanity.

  2. Nightingale // February 11, 2011 at 12:00 PM  

    I was thinking about how little control we really have over our lives today, in fact, so this post seems like a conclusion to that thought. Yes, I frequently turn to my writing to keep my sanity. Good Post!!

  3. Patrice // February 11, 2011 at 1:03 PM  

    Autumn,
    I'm so glad your husband is on the road to recovery, and I'm so glad that your writing gave you some peace at such a frightening and emotional time. I used writing as a means to cope when I went through a divorce. It created The MARS CLUB (Men Are Rotten Scoundrels) It sold once but the pub house went out of business. Still, it helped me heal, and proved that laughter is the best cure for the heart.

  4. Judith Keim // February 11, 2011 at 1:15 PM  

    Hi, Autumn! I can so relate to your blog. Writing is such an integral part of my life, through fun times and troubles. Like you said, writing gives you control over the characters in your book, allows you to shape events, etc. I'm so glad it was a help to you in worrisome times and am super glad things seem to be going so well now. Your new book sounds intriguing!!

  5. Mary Marvella // February 11, 2011 at 1:57 PM  

    Autumn and all my peeps. I have soooo been there and done that, thank God. When my parents died and I separated from my husband writing and my critique partners kept me from wallowing in that dark hole of grief.

    I had been writing for years and loved telling my stories, even learned to use a computer and to go on line because of writing. When my marriage left me lonely, I wrote and met new people on line, people who became my friends.

    We are here for you, girl!

  6. Autumn Jordon // February 11, 2011 at 3:14 PM  

    Thanks, Ladies. I'm so glad you found the same.

    Every breath brings another word to life-drawn from life itself.
    Autumn Jordon

  7. Tamara LeBlanc // February 11, 2011 at 8:23 PM  

    Autumn,
    My prayers are also with you and your husband.
    I'm so glad you were able to use writing, something you obviously love, to help distract you from such frightening circumstances. Each of us handles crisis differently. Some of us retreat from it. Others are brought to their knees by it. And some of us, the lucky ones, find ways to overcome it.
    It's good that your writing helped you do that.
    The book's cover is gorgeous by the way.
    God bless you both and have a wonderful evening.
    Tamara LeBlanc

  8. Autumn Jordon // February 11, 2011 at 10:21 PM  

    Thanks, Tamara.

  9. Beth Trissel // February 13, 2011 at 8:03 AM  

    Autumn, my prayers are with you and your dear husband too. That said, yes, writing is vital to my sanity. I've turned to it for years during all sorts of trials. This is why I cannot clinically analyze the market and why I 'should' write this or that, but why I reach deep inside myself and write from the heart, where the heart leads.
    God bless you and your writing.

  10. Autumn Jordon // February 13, 2011 at 11:48 AM  

    Beth, Your heart shows in your writing. (((HUGS)) for the prayers.

  11. J.L. Murphey // February 14, 2011 at 10:59 AM  

    Writing is my only sanctuary. It allows for me to open closet doors and bring skeletons into the light, it allows me control over uncontrolable situations.

    Similar to your crisis, I've been in mine with my husband for seven years, ask Mary who knows me best. Prays and pink lights of healing on the way to you...Jo

  12. Josie // February 14, 2011 at 12:47 PM  

    Autumn,
    First, I'm keeping your family in my prayers and am so thankful that your husband is improving. Yes, I believe writing is my safe harbor.

  13. Mary Ricksen // February 16, 2011 at 12:02 PM  

    Autumn, sorry I missed this. I am praying for your DH continued improvement!
    When I am upset, I read, my muse runs away to hide from my problem.
    You stay well and may your DH get well.
    We love you!