Margaret A. Golla is in the house!

Good morning, Margaret. I am so excited you're here! Looks like you brought company. You're both welcome today. I
hear you're snowed in, literally. I know the others will want to hear all about your publishing venture. So tell all

Thank you, Mama Mary for allowing me to play over at your house today. Mary and I virtually met each other on the wonderful goals loop we belong to, and let me just say that I don’t know if I would still be writing if it wasn’t for the support of my peeps over there.

Well, okay, that was a little melodramatic, but still it’s true.(She can be a tad melodramatic)

I’ve been writing for about ten years now. (I have her beat by double that long.) I started off in the romance genre. I loved reading romance, so I thought I could write romance . . . uhm, nope. Three years ago, I realize romance wasn’t for me. Oh, don’t get me wrong, I love writing romance IN my stories, but I don’t write romance. When I stopped writing romance, I dropped out of my local RWA chapter and their huge support group.

So what did I want to write?

(The wonderful cover below might give you an idea!)

Kid’s books. I really, really loved reading middle grade and children’s stories. I wrote ten picture books, but never could find my groove with rhythmic pattern needed for picture books. If picture books weren’t my thing, but what was?

This is when the analytical part of my brain took over. The fourth ‘romance’ novel that I wrote involved a huge fantasy realm that attracted the attention of Deb Dixon and Bell Bridge Books. It didn’t work out, but I really, really loved the character and this world.

What if I wrote about the character when she was growing up and first discovered this world?

And that was how Kyte Webber was born. I also discovered my ‘voice’ while writing Kyte’s story. Too bad none of the 100 + agents and publishing houses saw the magic. I tried to sell this story, but everyone is looking for ‘boy’ books and post-Apocalyptic worlds and they aren’t interested in fantasy. During the three year interim when I queried GNOME (short for TO GNOME ME IS TO LOVE ME), I wrote two more middle grade novels and three chapter books involving Kyte and her world.

When I started writing middle grade, my only wish was to bring enjoyment to the reader. But it didn’t look like I would succeed if I continued to butt my head against the traditional brick wall of publishing. I had many friends who were self-publishing and I followed their progress with interest. I didn’t think my targeted age group (8-13) would have access to Kindle’s, computers, Nintendo DSi’s, iPads, or Droid phones. After Christmas 2010, I discovered how wrong I was. Middle grade kids are even more connected than everyone realizes.

The time to strike was now.

In January, I self-published my first chapter book, Lost Leprechaun Loot. I knew my timing was a little early as this was vaguely a St. Patrick’s Day themed story . . . leprechauns, you know, though I will say my leprechauns aren’t cute and cuddly like Lucky from the Lucky Charms cereal, they are gold-hungry, self-centered green meanies.

I will say that I don’t think self-publishing is for the first time novel writer. Oh, there are exceptions to the rule, but 98% of first novels deserve to be shoved deep into the recesses of the hard drive, I know my first four attempts belong there. I also realized there is a stigma of becoming a ‘self-published’ writer, but I felt there was a need for my books even if New York didn’t agree with me. Plus I was tired of the hurry up and wait that is so prevalent in publishing today.

As of this blog, I received my final rejection of GNOME by Jabberwocky Sourcebooks publishing. I am now free to self-publish the story that started it all. All-in-all, my goal in 2011 is to publish the three middle grade novels AND five chapter books that tell of Kyte Webber’s adventures.

Story samples are available on my purchase page. Those of you who do NOT have an e-reader, check this out:

Free Kindle reading apps for electronic devices (computers, phones, etc): http://on.fb.me/fa508u

Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004KAAV1Y

Barnes and Noble Nook: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/product.aspx?ean=2940012144041

Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/38342



23 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // February 3, 2011 at 2:05 AM  

    Good morning! I hope the fonts are reasonable! I think your gnome is messing with me today!

  2. Nightingale // February 3, 2011 at 11:33 AM  

    Welcome to the PFS! I enjoyed your blog about your publishing journey and discovering more about self publishing. Wishing you many sales.

  3. Edie Ramer // February 3, 2011 at 12:41 PM  

    Margaret, I love your writing voice and hope you become a huge success! I think you made the right decision. Good for you for taking control of your career.

  4. Mary Marvella // February 3, 2011 at 1:00 PM  

    Morning, Linda and Edie!

  5. MAGolla // February 3, 2011 at 1:04 PM  

    Good morning, Mama Mary! Thank you again for having stop by to play! I don't think it's the gnome messing with you, but I do know that Little Dude, my monkey pooka, tends to mess with stuff. WITH stuff, not ON stuff. :-)

    Thank you, Nightingale! I'm busy getting my middle grade series ready. Once I came up with a title for the series, GOBLIN'S APPRENTICE, I discovered that I have to rewrite a large portion of the first book. Oi!

    Thank you, Edie! You are my shining star. :-) Let me just say that when I received the rejection from Jabberwocky publishing on Monday, I breathed the biggest sigh of relief! I am SO happy to get my stories out there! They deserve to be read and this way they will be available for kids AND adults.

  6. Melanie // February 3, 2011 at 1:23 PM  

    Good luck with your new venture, Margaret! Great blog. I wish you much success! When my granddaughter gets older, I'll be sure and turn her on to your books.

  7. MAGolla // February 3, 2011 at 1:32 PM  

    Thanks for stopping by, Melanie! Hopefully by then I'll have a ton of books available for her to read!

  8. Donnell Ann Bell // February 3, 2011 at 2:56 PM  

    That is such a cute picture of you and your daughter, Margaret. And how cool that you found out what your voice lends itself toward your writing. I've downloaded the Lost Leprechaun; can't wait to get started. What else are you working on?

  9. MAGolla // February 3, 2011 at 3:15 PM  

    Oh, boy, you asked a loaded question, Donnell! And I really like that picture of us, too! Actually, I FOUND my writing voice when I started writing these stories.

    I have three middle grade novels that have been written with my protagonist, Kyte Webber. Since it is part of a series, I had to come up with a name for the series--Goblin's Apprentice.

    Book one, TO GNOME ME IS TO LOVE ME has to have parts of it rewritten, since Kyte didn't actually become apprenticed until book two, THE FAST AND THE FAERIEOUS. Book three (FOR WHOM THE BELL TROLLS) is written, but unedited at this point. It also has a HUGE dangly loose end that will lead into book four (IT TROLLS FOR THEE).

    So, I'm getting GNOME ready to publish, then I have to write three sequels to Lost Leprechaun--one that I want to have ready for Easter--since there are a few unhappy leprechauns in the end of LLL and payback is on their minds!
    Then I'll get FAERIE out, then TROLL and then the last two themed (Halloween and Christmas) chapter books!

    I think I'm in for a busy, busy year! :-)

  10. Donnell Ann Bell // February 3, 2011 at 3:46 PM  

    Good for you, Margaret, Love the name Kyte, and your play on words. So here's one more hard question for you. What does your daughter think of your stories? Good luck!

  11. MAGolla // February 3, 2011 at 3:57 PM  

    Hehehe. My kiddo just thinks I'm weird. :-) She's read LLL and Sugar Plum Disaster, but she's not interested in fantasy at this time, so she hasn't read the novels.

  12. Mary Marvella // February 3, 2011 at 10:06 PM  

    My kid is 38 and she thinks I'm weird, too. She always has, poor thing.

  13. Scarlet Pumpernickel // February 4, 2011 at 1:22 AM  

    Oops, I went to sleep on the job and forgot to check the fuzzies yesterday. Actually I forgot everything, blame it on working late on the day job. Anyway, I here now to say welcome Margaret. I am glad you stopped by and very sorry to be chiming in late. Enjoyed the blog, thanks for sharing with us.

  14. Twisted Sister // February 4, 2011 at 7:31 AM  

    Margaret--
    It has been wonderful to watch your writing blossom from the first few mss to these wonderful MG stories!
    Your future is bright and golden!
    Good luck with GNOME.

  15. MAGolla // February 4, 2011 at 7:56 AM  

    Thanks, Scarlet, the day job does tend to put a crip in one's style . . . wait a minute. . . writing is now my DAY JOB!

    Aw, Thanks, my Twisted Sister friend! :-) This is probably the most happy I've ever been. It's like all the stars have aligned and it's shining on me. It took me so many years to find my voice and to find the genre that suits me. I think I finally got it right!

  16. Liz Lipperman // February 4, 2011 at 9:35 AM  

    Sorry, I missed this yesterday. I had to comment, though, and say I can't wait to read my copy of LLL.

    I, too, will venture out into self publishing in a couple of months, and I'm looking to both you and Edie for guidance..and to our wonderful friend who designs awesome covers!!

  17. MAGolla // February 4, 2011 at 10:12 AM  

    Thanks, Liz! I know you'll enjoy it!

  18. Mary Ricksen // February 4, 2011 at 6:22 PM  

    Margaret you are amazing and I cannot wait to read your book. Being part Irish ye know!

  19. MAGolla // February 4, 2011 at 6:46 PM  

    Thanks, Mary! My leprechauns are a little . . . different. :-) Enjoy!

  20. Judith Keim // February 5, 2011 at 10:00 AM  

    Wow, interesting story, Margaret! I'm wishing you all the success in the world! Keep us posted on how you do with your self-publishing adventure! Good luck with it!!

  21. MAGolla // February 5, 2011 at 10:44 AM  

    Thank you, Judy!

  22. Josie // February 5, 2011 at 1:48 PM  

    Hi Margaret,
    Welcome to the Pink Fuzzies and a sincere thank you Mary M. for inviting you.
    Congrats on your self-publishing venture. Your children's books look wonderful.
    I wish you much success!

  23. MAGolla // February 5, 2011 at 2:30 PM  

    Thank you, Joanne! More and more kids are actually using electronic devices to read books, but it's still an unexplored market.