by: Joelle Charbonneau

If you are like me, spring makes you want to kick up your heels and celebrate. Don’t get me wrong. I love living in Chicago where each season brings a new and exciting adventure. I love the first eighty degree day and the leaves changing colors. The first snow of winter makes me feel like running outdoors and making a snowman like I did when I was in grade school.

But spring is special. There is a promise of something new and exciting that comes with the changing of the weather and the spouting of leaves on the trees. It is also the time of year that I find a renewed belief that my writing career will take off. Last Spring, after a year and a half of facing a family illness, I finally started thinking about submitting my writing again. I’m not sure why I found this new hope in my writing career after such a long hiatus, but sitting with my computer, feeling the cool breeze come through the open window, I started searching for an agent again. I submitted to my top choice agent and got a full request within 2 days. Nineteen days after that I received an offer of representation from my fabulous agent. Two months later the book sold.

So this year, I challenge everyone to find the hope of spring in your writing. And to help you, here is one of my favorite desserts. It is easy to make and filled with a bit of sugar and caffeine to keep you jumpstarted.

Tiramasu Cake

1 8-10 inch round angel food cake
1 8 oz package of cream cheese
½ cup sifted powdered sugar
3 TB coffee liqueur
2 cups whipping cream
¼ powdered sugar
2 TB coffee liqueur
¾ cup strong black coffee
¼ cup coffee liqueur

For filling, combine cream cheese, ½ cup powdered sugar and 3 TB liqueur. In a chilled bowl combine whipping cream, ¼ cup powdered sugar and2 TB liqueur. Beat until stiff peaks form. Fold ½ cup of whipped cream mixture into cream cheese mixture.

Use serrated knife to cut angel food cake horizontally into 3 layers. Place cake layers on plates. With a fork poke holes in tops of layers. In a small bowl combine black coffee and ¼ cup liqueur. Drizzle over each layer of cake. Spread the first layer with half of the cream cheese filling. Add a second layer and spread with remaining filling. Add third cake layer. Frost with remaining whipped cream mixture. Cover and chill. If desired, drizzle top and sides with Mocha Fudge Sauce. Enjoy!

9 comments

  1. Judith Keim // April 6, 2010 at 9:29 AM  

    Thanks, Joelle, for a lovely and yummy blog. The springs in Atlanta were, for me, the most wonderful. Pear trees bloom, cherry blossoms dot the landscape with their pink color, daffodils and tulips sprout and the leaves on the trees are a sweet tender green that make you smile. Now I need to combine all of those memories with inspiration for my writing. Lately, I've been struggling... Thanks for the uplift

  2. Scarlet Pumpernickel // April 6, 2010 at 10:27 AM  

    Tiramasu is my favorite desert. I absolutely love the stuff. Thanks for the recipe and for the inspiration that spring brings. It's supposed to go up to 91 here in Georgia today. Looks like Spring has finally sprung. The Dogwoods are in full bloom and all the trees are decked out in party frocks with tiny green leaves beginning to show. I love spring.

  3. Donnell Ann Bell // April 6, 2010 at 1:27 PM  

    Okay, you're on Joelle, I'll put a little spring in my step and also try out that delicious sounding recipe. What a talent you are, girlfriend!

  4. Joelle Charbonneau // April 6, 2010 at 2:45 PM  

    Judy - Perhaps we both need to go visit Scarlet and her Dogwoods in bloom! Sounds like fantastic inspiration.

    Donnell - Get out there and start submitting that Golden Heart Nominated book like mad. I want to hold it in my hot little hands:)

  5. Autumn Jordon // April 6, 2010 at 3:16 PM  

    Do you realize I just walked 4.5 miles today in hopes of losing some of the holiday feast from my hips? This sounds so yummy. Maybe I can make it my award for losing some weight by the end of month.

  6. Mary Marvella // April 6, 2010 at 3:38 PM  

    Wow, girl! Hope and a great dessert! You're right and I plan to use this to remember that it can happen if we try!

    My yard and my neighborhood are a study in pastels.

    HAPPY APRIL!

  7. Nightingale // April 6, 2010 at 4:36 PM  

    Joelle, the take heart message has been taken to heart. I think I'll open my window the next time I write and let a fresh breeze of inspiration pour in!

  8. Mary Ricksen // April 6, 2010 at 6:12 PM  

    I love Tiramisu! Even though I don't care for coffee. Thanks for the recipe and the uplifting message for us all.

  9. Dayana // April 10, 2010 at 9:34 AM  

    Sinful, Joelle. Ummmm...I love Tiramasu. Thanks for the pep talk and the recipe.

    Yum!

    Dayana~