Sadness CommentsOn

Animation Image 325516
e day I got up and had no where to go. I had just left my job and I thought I'd be really happy about it. But, I felt as if I was in a place where I had no way to use my brain. I was kinda lost. What was my purpose now? I was purposeless!
Photos CommentsI stood on a bridge with no place to go. I had no goals, no new people, no job, no life, nothing.

For over thirty years I had worked in medical and finally in dental offices. My boss was crazy in my last job. That's a book in itself. He was totally inconsiderate of any one else in the world. He had an abusive nature. The first day I saw a clipping on his desk. He had settled in a case of assult with a former assistant. Ha, I thought try that one me bucko! One time he did, we were outside arguing over the way he treated people. Yes, it's true. He kinda got in my face and I shoved him, he hit the door behind him and had a look of shock on his face. I was sure I could take the little weisel so I said. "Try it, just try it, I'd love to beat the crap outta you."Now those of you who know me, know I am not at all confrontational in a physical way. But the look on his face was worth every second of it. So he always respected me and I never took any nonsense from him. I was always stopping him from something. One day a guy came to the front desk. Apparently his wife had been offended by something the dentist said. So he came in to beat the doctor up. I said to him. "Listen, you have a wife and kids, if you beat him up you will go to jail. I believe in karma, he will get it someday." He thanked me and left.

Guys Comments

This stuff happened every day. Why did I stay? We needed the money. He paid me very, very, well. I hate to say it, but that's why. I like to think I helped people. He did excellent work, he was just born an ass. Yes, the donkey, sorry to offend anyone. Yes, I hated my job, but I couldn't afford not to work there. I paid a high emotional price for it.

Sadness Comments

So here I am at home. Bored and wondering if I had any purpose in life. I don't know why, but something made me start writing again. And I thought maybe, just maybe I could finish one of those stories I started. Then I started to think about where I was happiest. That was on the lake in Vermont. What if one traveled back in time?
There is a saying the old Vermonter's have about the lake. It goes something like this:
Storm over Lake Champlain by robswanvt.
The wind she blow on Lake Champlain, the wind she blow some more.
If you do not want to drown, you'd best to stay on shore.

Landscapes CommentsRomantic Comments
I always loved it there and I started to imagine. What if?
Now we have no children, not for want of trying. I felt like a failure, I had no purpose, no special talent. I could always sing, played the guitar, made stained glass pieces, painted, and every other thing I tried. I was always okay but never excelled. I wanted to excel, I wanted to leave my mark behind somehow. Then I got to thinking, someday someone will read my book, maybe ten years from now, and I would be remembered. I could excel, I could publish a book. I'd write a time travel romance novel. I musta read thousands of them. I knew I could write fairly well, but could I do it? Could I write a romance about life over a hundred years ago. Would anybody care?

Elderly CommentsSo I wrote a book. Ha, at least I thought I did. Then I heard about critiquing and suddenly realized I had a lot to learn. So I read everything I could and I sucked it all in. The I wrote some more. Now I had the idea, well basically anyways. I'm still learning every day.
The day I got offered a contract, I could not believe it. I still don't, pinch me so I can wake up. My skepticism just wouldn't let me enjoy the moment. When would they take it all back. And then I got my book in the mail. I opened the box and there it was. It had my name on it.

I was so thrilled. Here in front of me was my own book.


I didn't believe it. It wasn't real still to me. While others were doing the dance of joy, I was doing the, no one will like it. Fear reared it's ugly head again. I had to fight it back. The friends I have in the Florida Romance Writers, The Pink Fuzzy Slipper Writers, The Author Roast and Toast and the other Wild Rose Press authors, all helped me to find the courage to promote.

So here I am at a book signing with best selling author Traci Hall. Gosh I think I've come a long, long, way. And I'm still going! I am hoping to get a contract for my second book very soon.
It just proves to me that learning not to quit is the only way to make it.

27 comments

  1. Joelle Charbonneau // April 25, 2010 at 11:01 PM  

    What a wonderful post, Mary. I've known a few of those donkey types and I'm happy that you found a path that makes you happy. Congrats on book one and I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you on book two!

  2. Autumn Jordon // April 26, 2010 at 10:06 AM  

    Mary, You didn't crack me up. What an inspiring post. I know exactly how you felt standing on that bridge that had no anchor at the other end. It's not a good feeling. Thank goodness, you realized the talent God gave you. Wishing you mega sales, sweetie.

  3. Mary Marvella // April 26, 2010 at 3:54 PM  

    I so understand, Mary R. Loved the post and the graphics. We often find ourselves wondering what to do next, sink or swim or tread water!

  4. Infogypsy // April 26, 2010 at 5:04 PM  

    Great post, Mary. Since I'm the opposite of quitter - someone who can't quit. It sounds wonderful to some, and it is in that it is great or writing a novel (or five), but it has its drawbacks, too! Being someone who has to persist keeps me stuck editing my 3rd book 16 times! And if a web site doesn't work, I'll sit in front of it for 24 hours to try and make it work!

    I think perhaps embracing whatever stops us is the key - then looking to see what it gives us to consider the opposite - like you did! Good inquiry

  5. Mona Risk // April 26, 2010 at 5:28 PM  

    Mary, I can't believe my sweet Mary really punched the dentsit. OMG, I love to see you that assertive. Wish I was there to clap hands.

    Yes, perseverance pays off. Like Lynn I have trouble quitting and edit my books 20 times. Call me crazy but I enjoy reading, editing, critiquing my own books, and I have a tendency to automatically critique when I read any book.

  6. Josie // April 26, 2010 at 5:34 PM  

    Hi Mary,
    Thanks for the uplifting post and sincere congrats on your first book. It proves you should never give up. You're doing great!

  7. Jannine Gallant // April 26, 2010 at 5:42 PM  

    Inspiring story. I'm sure most of us can relate to the fear that no one will like our work. Sometimes it's hard to believe in ourselves, but we can't ever quit.

  8. Kristin W. // April 26, 2010 at 5:48 PM  

    Aw. What a great story. You always had a purpose. You just had to discover it. Of course, I believe another purpose you have is to be a good, encouraging friend. No one is more supportive of FRW writers than you.

  9. Alyssa Maxwell // April 26, 2010 at 6:24 PM  

    I have trouble picturing you knocking that idiot on his butt, too, but I can't help but be glad you did! I know you're not a violent person, but having a book published is about determination, perseverence, taking risks, and putting yourself out there where you might just get slapped, metaphorically speaking. Not for the faint of heart! I'm glad you had what it took to hang in there and see your book in print!

  10. Margaret Tanner // April 26, 2010 at 6:48 PM  

    Hi Mary,
    Wonderful post. I have worked in the medical field myself (still do), and I know exactly where you are coming from. Some of them are just pigs.
    I am so glad you persevered with your writing. Perseverence and determination is the way to succeed. Without it you are doomed. Good luck with your second book, you are talented enough to become a multi-published author.

    Cheers
    Margaret

  11. Hywela Lyn // April 26, 2010 at 6:54 PM  

    Mary, what a wonderful post, and I can so relatee! I too seemed to be 'Jill of all trades, msitress of none' and although I've now had three books published am not at all sure, that I've mastered this artform either, but I try, and feel writing and finishing a book is an achievement in itself. Like others, I too spend hours editing a page - or a website! I'm keeping my fingers crossed too, for your next book. Having had the privilege of an 'advance reading' I know you have a wonderful imagination and a way of making the reader 'feel' for the characters.

    Gosh you have some guts confronting your boss like that - but it proves that bullies are invariably cowards. Good for you, I'd love to have been a fly on the wall.

    Good luck, happiness and success in all your ventures, my dear friend.

  12. Barbara Monajem // April 26, 2010 at 8:19 PM  

    Mary, what a lovely post. You are really something!

  13. Terry Spear // April 26, 2010 at 8:24 PM  

    Oh wow, Mary, you are a true heroine in my book! Congratulations and good luck!!!

  14. P.L. Parker // April 26, 2010 at 8:56 PM  

    Mary, sorry so late getting here. Running in circles. Hey, I'd like to beat the crap out of that dentist for you. I worked for a guy like that for ten years and then one day, I told him I couldn't stand him and I was out of there. I've been at another job where everyone says he is hard to work for, but compared to the other guy, this one is pretty nice. Never have a problem with him. Hang in there and keep writing. You've already left a beginning mark - more to come.

  15. Beth Trissel // April 26, 2010 at 9:04 PM  

    Very moving post, Mary. I really appreciate your honest sharing. You are an inspiration. :)

  16. Christine Clemetson // April 26, 2010 at 9:12 PM  

    Mary..what a wonderful post. I feel so inspired by what you shared.

    :)
    Christine

  17. Linda Banche // April 26, 2010 at 9:25 PM  

    Good for you, Mary. Keep your chin and the work up!

  18. Anonymous // April 26, 2010 at 9:26 PM  

    Mary, I loved your inspiring post. Someone was just reminding me about the saying "Nothing happens without a reason." You were meant to be a writer and an author.

  19. Traci // April 26, 2010 at 9:27 PM  

    My Mary, my shy sweet Mary, stood up to a major jerk!! I believe every minute of it ((hugs) You are a fabulous writer, and an even more fabulous person! I am so glad you came into my life Now for book 2,Mary, don't keep us waiting!!

  20. Mary Ricksen // April 26, 2010 at 9:36 PM  

    I want to thank you all for your kind words. Everyone has trials, it's never giving up, that's what makes the difference.
    Here's to all the fighters! May you win every time you fight to make it!

  21. Samantha Gentry // April 26, 2010 at 9:38 PM  

    Mary: Great post. Sometimes you just have to stand up to the world (in whatever way it manifests itself -- bad work environment, boredom with your current situation, etc.) and make the tough decisions about what to do with your life. I remember when my first book was published, I know the thrill you're talking about. It's one you always remember.

  22. Liana Laverentz // April 27, 2010 at 7:01 AM  

    I think you helped a lot of people by working in that office. Congratulations on seeing your book in print, a goal a lot of writers never reach. Purpose is what you make of it, so go and find it! You've got a great support group in Florida. Good luck and many happy sales, Mary.

  23. Unknown // April 27, 2010 at 8:03 AM  

    MARY--sorry, I'm a day late, but I'm so glad I read this. You and I have similar lives,in that I worked hard for many years then...nothing to do. But I learned golf first. When I had to give that up, then I wrote a book! I hate to hear people say "I wish I had time to do what you do,"--as if I led a leisure-filled life.
    I think working for a mean guy would not be a good thing. I'm not as tough as you are--but maybe I am, but in a different way. Your story is good for all women--thanks! Celia

  24. Judith Keim // April 27, 2010 at 1:37 PM  

    It's a wonderful story, Mary. I'm so glad that you've become a published author. What an accomplishment! Keeping my fingers crossed for you on book two! It proves your point - never quit.

  25. Nancy J. Cohen // April 27, 2010 at 4:07 PM  

    We're all sure glad you didn't quit. What an inspirational story. Writing gives me a purpose, too, so I understand. When I'm between books, I feel rudderless. I have to keep my head in a story to stay focused. It's a wonderful feeling to bounce out of bed in the morning to attack the daily writing goal.

  26. Alice Audrey // April 27, 2010 at 5:30 PM  

    Very inspiring, Mary. We really do simply have to hang in there.

  27. Bonnie Vanak // April 27, 2010 at 6:54 PM  

    What a great, great post Mary. You inspire me. I'm so happy you achieved the dream you worked so hard for. You go girl. And kudos to you for putting that person in his place!

    Here's to your future dreams all coming true as well!