You know what I love about THE PINK FUZZY SLIPPER WRITER’S Blog? The diversity of the posts. Even before I’d become a regular contributor, I’d stop by (often) and not only read the blog of the day but also skimmed ones that I missed. Life does get in the way. Quick examples: Because of Joanne’s Deals of the day, I’ve picked up bargains I didn’t know were out there. Because of Beth’s beautiful posts, I’ve learned America's history, gardening facts, and I bought the perfect Christmas presents this past season (BURT’s BEE BALM) for my daughter and DIL’s. (They love them, Beth). Mona has taken me to exotic places. Ones I can only dream about visiting. Mary R’s blogs make me chuckle and we all need to remember to laugh. All the PFS posts are awesome and have taught me so much about the world I live in and the craft of which I’m a student; writing.

So, in keeping with the multiplicity of the blog, I’m writing about my weekend plans and sharing a few great recipes. If you’re following me, you’re probably not only a writer or reader, but also a busy woman. Wait! Is there another kind of woman? I think not. Anyway, anything that makes my life easier I gobble up. I hope you enjoy both the post and the dishes. WINK.

****
There is something magical about the word weekend. Just saying it makes me want to jump up from my chair, fist in air and yell, “I’m so ready.” The feeling of delight probably stems from my childhood school days. No more math books. No more teachers. No more dirty looks because I won’t put the fiction book aside. Is it the same for you?

As Friday afternoon rolls around, I always start to plan my weekend, making a list of chores I want to tackle and pleasures I want to partake in. If you’re like me, the items on your chore list out numbers the things you really want to do, like kick up your feet, read and relax.

What is not on either list, are meals. It’s a given you’ll have to make them. After all the family needs to eat, right? I actually hate the question what is for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I do. Really. So knowing this, if I want to enjoy my weekend, I plan my meals out ahead of time and head to the market. It’s one less thing I need to think about. So this weekend my DH and I will be enjoying the following recipes and I thought you might like to try them too.

Green Pepper, Cheese And Bacon Omelet

2 eggs , 1/2 green pepper, cleaned of seeds and cut into pieces , 2 slices of bacon also cut into bite size, 1 tablespoon butter and Seasonings to taste

Separate 2 eggs. Beat yolks. Beats egg whites until stiff. Cook bacon and green pepper over med heat with part of the butter in a large frying pan. Until bacon is browned. Remove from frying pan and mix with beaten yolks eggs. Fold in egg whites. Add rest of butter to pan and then the mixture. Flip. Add cheese and fold.

Honey-Rosemary Stuffed Pork Chops
This recipe is from McCormick. It’s delicious. www.mccormick.com/Recipes

Makes 4 servings. Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 1/2 cups chopped Granny Smith apples
3 tablespoons honey, divided
2 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds
2 teaspoons McCormick® Rosemary Leaves, finely crushed, divided
1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Garlic Powder
4 boneless center-cut pork chops, 1-inch thick (about 1 pound)
1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Black Pepper, Ground
1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth

1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in large skillet on medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 5 minutes. Add apples; cook and stir 5 minutes longer or until slightly softened. Spoon mixture into small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of the honey, almonds, 1 teaspoon of the rosemary, vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and garlic powder; mix well.
2. Cut a horizontal slit in center of each pork chop to form a pocket. Spoon 1/4 cup of the apple mixture into each pocket. Secure with toothpicks. Mix remaining 1 teaspoon rosemary, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Coat pork chops evenly on both sides with rosemary mixture.
3. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in same skillet on medium-high heat. Add pork chops; cook 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until browned. Mix broth and remaining 2 tablespoons honey until well blended. Stir into skillet. Cook 5 minutes longer or until pork is desired doneness. Remove pork chops from skillet; keep warm. Cook mixture in skillet 3 minutes longer or until reduced by half. Remove toothpicks from pork chops. Serve pork with sauce mixture.

Molasses Banana French Toast

1 large Egg, 2 Tablespoons of milk, 1 Tablespoons molasses, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, 2 slices of Wheat bread, 1 pad of butter, 1 Banana
Beat together the eggs, milk and vanilla in a bowl until smooth. Dip the wheat bread slices in the batter until coated on all sides.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Spray with touch of PAM. Place half of the bread slices into the pan, and cook until golden brown on each side, about 3 minutes per side. Place on plate cover with sliced Banana and dizlle syrup on top. The sweetness of the banana makes more molasses unnecessary.

Salsa Chicken

I picked this recipe up somewhere. I can’t remember where. It’s been so long. I’ve tweaked it a little to make it my own. It’s quick (when you’re doing yard work all day that’s important) and oh so yummy. I’m serving with rice and black beans.
Makes 4 servings. Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes
1 package Taco Seasoning Mix, 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into large bite size pieces, 2 tablespoons oil, 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) no salt added diced tomatoes, 1/2 cup chopped onion and ¼ chopped green or red pepper, 1/3 cup apricot or peach preserves

Place Seasoning Mix in plastic bag and add chicken and toss, coating the pieces.
Warm oil in large skillet over medium heat. Carefully, add chicken. Cook, stirring often, about five to seven minutes or until chicken is lightly browned.

Stir in the tomatoes and preserves. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes. I serve over rice with either Black beans or refried beans. Add a little shredded lettuce to the side for visual appeal and crunch.

15 comments

  1. Mona Risk // April 23, 2010 at 11:33 AM  

    Autumn, you just reminded me that I didn't cook anmything for dinner although it was one of my resolutions, I mean to cook every day. Your chicken salsa looks delicious and easy enough for a lazy-bone like me.

  2. Autumn Jordon // April 23, 2010 at 12:05 PM  

    It is, Mona. I'm thinking that's our Sunday dinner. DH works tomorrow so I'll have a little more time to make the pork chops. Also we'll be doing yard work on Sunday, if it doesn't rain. Enjoy!

  3. Joelle Charbonneau // April 23, 2010 at 12:18 PM  

    Autumn, the pork chops sound amazing! I'll have to try them after our chapter's conference is finished this weekend. Thanks for the post!!!

  4. Beth Trissel // April 23, 2010 at 12:44 PM  

    Oh man, am I behind in my cooking. too busy gardening and writing. Need to cook some lovely vege dishes with my harvest. Your lovely post is inspiring. And yes, I love weekends too!

  5. Autumn Jordon // April 23, 2010 at 1:10 PM  

    Hey, Joelle. I LOVE pork chops. And these are amazing. What conference are you off to this weekend?

  6. Autumn Jordon // April 23, 2010 at 1:12 PM  

    I know, Beth. I made Rhubab pies this week and they're so yummy. I love the custard one as breakfast. Enjoy the weekend!

  7. Mary Ricksen // April 23, 2010 at 4:52 PM  

    Mmmmm. the French Toast sound yummy. And I do have the stuff for the chicken. That recipe sounds great too. What to do. Sweet or spicy???

  8. Autumn Jordon // April 23, 2010 at 8:19 PM  

    Do both, Mary. It's the weekend. Time to treat yourself well. Enjoy

  9. Mary Marvella // April 23, 2010 at 9:27 PM  

    Autumn, got room at the table for one more? What time should I be there?

  10. Barbara Monajem // April 24, 2010 at 7:09 AM  

    Jeez. My stomach just started to grumble! Thanks for the recipes. I will definitely try the pork chops -- I love rosemary.

  11. Josie // April 24, 2010 at 8:06 PM  

    Autumn,
    You've motivated me to cook some pork chops. So glad you've snagged some of my deal finds!

  12. Judith Keim // April 25, 2010 at 10:34 AM  

    I love weekends too! The anticipation of being able to relax (ha! who am I fooling?) after a work week is a great feeling.It is a time of cooking for us, too, though it's my husband who does that cooking!! Yay! Yum!

  13. Autumn Jordon // April 25, 2010 at 7:22 PM  

    Oh, geez, Mary. I didn't see this until now. Darn. My weekend plans changed. I had my new grandson last night so it was pizza night. I wanted every minute with him. But the porkchops were yummy tonight. I'm so full. There are leftovers so stop by. WINK.

  14. Autumn Jordon // April 25, 2010 at 7:24 PM  

    A husband that cooks. I envy you, Judy. My DH does breaksfast, but if he needs to handle dinner it's takeout. sigh..

  15. Autumn Jordon // April 25, 2010 at 7:32 PM  

    Joanne, Here is a my secret deal for the day. The pork I made tonight was actually pork steaks. Lower cut made with high end recipe and dinner was still awesome. I always check the meat counter for butcher's specials. $2.68 worth of meat instead of $9.00 plus.