I know you have all seen the U-Haul moving vans with the ad “An Adventure in Moving” on the trucks.  Though not in a U-Haul, I have been immersed in that Adventure.   The fine print reads that “adventure” does not always translate to “fun”.  An adventure can be an ordeal.  Unfortunately, my purchase, sale and relocation to my new home have been less than pleasant in most aspects.

We signed the contracts in late August, but for one reason or another, the closing had to be rescheduled several times, and I finally moved on September 9th from the city to a suburb about 8 miles down Texas 288.  The second ordeal was the move itself.  I was not at all pleased with my movers.  They could give the tortoise a run for his money in the slow department.  I had only a dining room table and china cabinet and bedroom (having sold most of the furniture with the condo) to move, but it took 5 hours!  In the Texas heat!  Granted, I had a lot of boxes, but…  All-Some Movers do not win my recommendation.  They also treated my fragile boxes like footballs.  I’m praying that my crystal and china are okay.

I love my new house, but I am giving her a little “facelift”.   I know it is always a mistake to try to live in a home you are renovating.   I might have stayed in a hotel, but I have a rather large and loveable cat to consider.  Spencer is very easy going, but he’s far too big to smuggle into a roadside inn.  So, here I am in the middle of chaos.  A couple more days, however, and it should be done.  Then I can actually straighten up (my clothes are in a heap on the living room rug), clean and settle in to watch my new TV.  Game of Thrones and Outlander, here I come!

The facelift includes new wood flooring in a rich hickory throughout, with the exception of the foyer, baths and kitchen, which are in tile.   The kitchen is a white marble-look shot with beige.   The baths are difficult to describe, but are called “Ginger”—not orange at all but tend a bit to the pinkish.   I’ll run pictures later.   The baths are the final touch, completed hopefully today and tomorrow.  Of course, they can only do one at the time because you are not supposed to walk on them for 24 hours.
Last night, I treated myself to dinner at Texas Roadhouse Grill—a small sirloin, salad and loaded baked potato.  I had to send the steak back once because it was overdone, but it was really good and I needed the energy, having neglected things like food during this Adventure.

It has been fun replacing the furniture.   I bought a slate leather sofa and huge entertainment center at The Dump.  The kitchen is large enough to accommodate a black bistro table with white leather stools.  My decorating plan for the kitchen is “wine”, and I ordered cute wooden plaques with wine bottle labels for one wall.  One plaque I must have!  “I cook with wine.  Sometimes I even put it in the food.”

Yesterday, my son took me to a used office furniture place.  I found a nice gray chair with colored squiggles in the fabric and a cherry filing cabinet with bookcase at a very reasonable price.
Soon (fingers crossed) I should be all settled in.  I plan to have a housewarming party.  You’re invited!

Have an excellent weekend!!
Linda

2 comments

  1. Mary Ricksen // September 20, 2014 at 7:03 PM  

    Congratulations Linda and home sweet home! In love with the cat too!

  2. Josie // September 21, 2014 at 9:14 PM  

    Sounds like a beautiful house with some great decorating ideas. Best wishes and enjoy!