Me And My Best Friend

Who would of thought that my best friend would live thousands of miles away in another country. Not me. I met Lyn on the internet, but we had an instant connection that being a world away couldn't change.
Writing gave me a lot of gifts, not much money, but other gifts. I joined my local Romance Writers chapter and met a group of fun wonderful people, who will stay in my heart for the rest of my life. I never liked groups of women before. They seemed to always have that high school mind set, where there are cliques. But, authors, well they are another breed entirely. Maybe it's the common thread we share? Writing is a difficult endeavor, there is no guarantee you will get published. We all want that big one. A New York Times bestseller!
For me that is not as important as the friends I have made. Honest! Every once in awhile someone will tell me they loved my books. Now that is as good as being on the A list to me. In ten years no one will know if I was on that list. But, the person who read my story and liked it, well they will  remember me, hopefully, if the story meant anything to them, they will remember me and it forever.





Lyn is like an adorable little pixie.Her bright red hair and dancing eyes, coupled with a tender heart, touched me. We have taken two trips to Ohio to spend time together. It's uncanny, she knows what I am thinking before I say it. I can look at her and know what is in her heart. We both love horses. She has had several, I was not so lucky. But, we share that feeling that most little girls grow up with, 'must love horses'. As well as all other creatures. We share things every day, and though she is a million miles away, she is as close as an email or skype. My only regret is that we can't see each other in person. She always makes me smile, and we could have so much fun if she was closer. Her accent is wonderful, and boy does she love tea. Lyn just lost her little Jack Russel terrier, and I share her pain. I have loved and lost several pets, but Lyn assures me they are waiting over the Rainbow Bridge for us, running around an having a terrific time in doggie heaven. I hope they are.
So my advise to anyone who is interested is this. Never pass up a chance to make a friend. They are worth their weight in gold and I wouldn't trade her for her the gold, ever.

The point is, never sit home and wait for life to come to you. Happiness and good friends don't knock on your door and invite themselves in. You have to take chances. If you don't, imagine what you could miss in life, even from thousands of miles away...

5 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // September 9, 2014 at 11:43 AM  

    Mary, you are both silver and gold to me! I can see why you two are friends! Thanks for sharing the photos!

  2. Mary Ricksen // September 9, 2014 at 12:27 PM  

    It's the best thing about writing MM, meeting people like you.

  3. Hywela Lyn // September 9, 2014 at 1:43 PM  

    Aw Mary, what can I say? What a lovely post. I am both privileged and supremely thankful to have a friend like you. My two trips to the States and being with you in person and among my happiest memories. Friends like you are truly a gift and you're so right about authors being the best.

    Love you dear friend,

    Lyn xx

    PS The saying about silver and gold friends was often quoted to me by my dear Aunty Grace and it's stayed in my memory since childhood.

  4. Hywela Lyn // September 9, 2014 at 3:17 PM  

    Oops, I meant my trips to the US and being with you ARE among my happiest memories!

    They truly are and I am eternally grateful writing brought us together!

  5. Josie // September 14, 2014 at 9:23 AM  

    Beautiful read, Mary, and heart-warming pictures. You're right--good friends are worth their weight in gold. They are precious.