February 12, 2014

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and most guys are probably rolling their eyes and moaning, “I just got through Christmas” or “Man, I screwed up with my last gift. I really need to give her something great. It’s too cold to sleep in the doghouse.”

Relax guys. I’ll tell you want woman. Romance.

Romance is not something you can buy in a store. It doesn’t cost a cent. The expensive flowers are great, and so are the chocolate and jewelry. They’re appreciated, but they’re not romance. And if they’re presented in a less than a romantic way, you’re dog meat.

Romance is when a guy shows the woman in his life how much he cares for her. Like, placing his hand on the small of her back as they walk side by side, brushing her hair back from her face, or leaving for work and rushing back in the door, again, for another kiss. Make her a cup of tea or rub her shoulders. Or surprise her with a candle lit bath.

I think the most romantic thing my DH has ever done for me is send me a postcard telling me he really loves me for no reason of all—not my birthday, not Valentine’s Day, not an any anniversary . It really doesn’t take much to make her heart swell.

Love isn't one-sided by any means. My DH loved to have his back rubbed too. He loved his favorite fresh baked pie. He loved that I sat beside him and watched a game--any sport. He loved that I would let the romantic in me shine not only on Valentine's Day but also every day.

So, for the ladies reading this blog, help the guys out and share what you’d consider romantic? And what plans do you have for your love?

****

Autumn Jordon is a quiet nut who writes both contemporary romance and romantic suspense. Her most recent story, PERFECT, remained in the top ten on Amazon in contemporary romance, romantic comedy and holiday romance for six weeks. Join her newsletter for the ltest news at www.autumnjordon.com

14 comments

  1. Anonymous // February 12, 2014 at 9:34 AM  

    Exactly! Although I'm not a big bath person. Lighting a fire and sitting with me watching a show instead of having his buried in an electronic device would be nice.

    Romance throughout the year for me is helping around the house more than normal every once in a while. Heck, coming home to a cooked meal would really fire up the old jets!

    Each person is different. I think the most important thing is to know what your partner/spouse/loved one wants and communicate the same in order to avoid not meeting unspoken expectations. It's all in the little things.

    Happy Valentine's Day Autumn!

    Melanie

  2. Autumn Jordon // February 12, 2014 at 9:57 AM  

    You said it perfectly, Melanie. I loved when my DH cooked for me. Especially after I had a hard day. His willingness to make my night easier was so thoughtful. I wanted to do something for him. It's all about taking care of each other.

    It sounds like you have a great guy. Enjoy your time by the fire together!

  3. debjulienne // February 12, 2014 at 10:50 AM  
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  4. debjulienne // February 12, 2014 at 10:51 AM  

    AMEN! You nailed it...I'd gladly toss the flower and candy...light me a fire, put on a cute movie and just snuggle with me...Tell me you love me, just because, goose me while I'm doing dishes, and drop an extra kiss on the shoulder...why do men think it's material???

  5. Autumn Jordon // February 12, 2014 at 11:04 AM  

    Goose me. YES! I loved when my DH goosed me every morning before he left for work. To me those moments mean more than the candy.

    Enjoy your holiday!

  6. Beth Trissel // February 12, 2014 at 11:05 AM  

    What a lovely post. I'm not prepared for valentine's Day this year. Guess I ought to bake something tasty, but gluten free so I can eat it too.

  7. Mona Risk // February 12, 2014 at 11:47 AM  

    What a beautiful post, Autumn. Yes romance is so important to these women who try to act tough but are softy deep inside. We'll see what my very rational, logical and mathematical DH will come up with. Sometimes he knows how to be romantic... especially if I subtly suggest things a few days earlier. LOL

  8. Autumn Jordon // February 12, 2014 at 11:51 AM  

    LOL, Mona. I love a woman with a plan. You show him how to make you smile. Communication is so important.

    Enjoy!

  9. Barbara Monajem // February 12, 2014 at 1:57 PM  

    Very well said, Autumn. Romance all year round works for both men and women. My dh and I don't bother with anniversaries or Valentine's Day -- instead we take care of each other all the time.

  10. Mary Ricksen // February 12, 2014 at 2:30 PM  

    How romantic!! Seriously!! Mine doesn't get it at all.

  11. Autumn Jordon // February 12, 2014 at 2:37 PM  

    It sounds like you have a wonderful relationship, Barbara and make the most of every day. Awesome!

    Mary, I'm sure your DH appreciates you too. Some guys just have a hard time doing the little things we long for. Print off the blog and hand it to him. LOL Or take the first step and give him the back rub. Pour a hot tub, with candles and music and invite him in. WINK Have a great time.

  12. Mary Marvella // February 12, 2014 at 5:06 PM  

    Thanks for this blog, Autumn! My ex never got it. It was all about him. That's the reason he is my ex. His mama spoiled him and I did the same. I know your fond memories will be worth a million bucks!

    We're glad you are here!

  13. Autumn Jordon // February 12, 2014 at 7:53 PM  

    Thanks, Mary. (((HUGS)))

  14. Josie // February 17, 2014 at 12:06 PM  

    You are absolutely right, Autumn, that romance doesn't need to cost a cent. It's all about thoughtfulness and the little things.