New Year - new goals and opportunities.

Posted by Patrice Wilton | 11:59 AM | 7 comments »

Happy New Year, everyone!
Well, the world survived in spite of the Mayans and Nostrodamas, and all the nay-sayers, and now I can cast off my worry-suit, and be happy once more! With a whole wonderful, exciting new year ahead of us, I'm sure we are all making resolutions, and plans of how to reach our goals and live a healthier, happier, more productive life.
Or maybe not.
I'm not one for making resolutions, mostly because I don't stick to them, but also because I'm disciplined and try to keep on track for the most part, daily-all-year-round. That includes not to eat too much, keep my wine consumption under control-lol- to play my sports, hence exercise, and write everyday.
My writing goal this year is to finish my third "returning war hero" story by August, since it's under deadline, and that would be a really good thing to do, and then I can submit another story idea for consideration. Currently, I've been working on a new romantic/comedy series, and to be honest, I'm loving it. It may or may not work for Montlake, but I want to do it anyway. For me. If I don't sell the series I will definitely self publish, because this makes me happy. I would love, love, love to get another 3 book contract, but if that doesn't happen, I know that people will read my books, and that I now have the control to do what I want, when I want. We our living in a publishing environment that gives us choices and we don't need to follow guidelines anymore--we can make up our own.
Still - we must remember that self publishing is not to be taken lightly. Only our best work should be put out there. We are professionals, and our work should represent that. A good cover, proper formatting, professional editing, all that is very important if you want to build a following and be successful.  All those new readers buying their Nooks and Kindles deserve top quality, and it's our job to see that they get it.
Well, that's enough preaching for today.

What are your plans and goals? Let's hear them, folks.
Have a happy, healthy, successful 2013!

7 comments

  1. Bonnie Vanak // January 2, 2013 at 1:25 PM  

    Hi Patrice! Good advice on self-publishing. I am sure you will meet your goals, you are a hard worker!

    My goal right now is to self-publish the Revolutionary War historical no publisher wanted. Hoping to get it published by the month's end. It's a story I love, and a personal quest to see it in digital form. Happy New Year!

  2. Mona Risk // January 2, 2013 at 1:47 PM  

    Patrice, you're so lucky to be disciplined. I'm not, so resolutions keep me on track.

  3. Patrice Wilton // January 2, 2013 at 1:53 PM  

    Good for you, Bonnie. It will do your heart good to see this story you love out in the world. Best of luck.

  4. Mary Marvella // January 2, 2013 at 2:20 PM  

    Bonnie, don't you LOVE that you now have that choice? Years ago self-publishing wasn't cheap or easy.

  5. Mary Marvella // January 2, 2013 at 2:24 PM  

    Mona and Patrice. I set a few goals, but I am willing to veer off to accomplish other things. I only include things that are important to me. And the goals are not written in blood.

  6. Mary Ricksen // January 3, 2013 at 3:56 PM  

    All the best to you always Patrice!! And many more thrills to come!!

  7. Josie // January 15, 2013 at 8:51 AM  

    Patrice,
    I love the idea of casting off my worry-suit. I'll do that first, then try to focus on my writing goals for 2013.