It's Because Of You That I am

Posted by Autumn Jordon | 9:33 AM | 8 comments »

It is because of you that I am.

The above line sounds like a perfect line in a romance novel, doesn’t it? Perhaps it is. I’m sure there are probably hundreds of lines that are similar and hold the same meaning, like the Jerry Mcguire line “You complete me.”
Anyway, it just came to me when thinking about something Yanni said during one of his concerts. Yeah, I’m a Yanni fan. Old Yanni and New Yanni. I’ll clue you into what he said later.

Now. I want you to take the above line and add the word A to it and then finish it by adding a noun. Any noun. Make a short list of five. Go ahead, I’ll wait. I promise I have a point to make.

Okay, my short list:

It is because of you that I am a light bulb.
It is because of you that I am a wheel.
It is because of you that I am a calendar.
It is because of you that I am a laptop.
It is because of you that I am a song.

Every one of those nouns at one point in time didn’t exist. They were once the idea of its creator—an idea that came to them while they were living life, watching the sunset or as children rolled a log down a mountain side. And they came about because the person had this insatiable drive to bring their brain child to life. To present it to the world.

By this time, you’re wondering what does that have to do with writing a novel? Well, besides the obvious that we always start with an idea, it is my belief that nothing has been created without trial and error, without studying the problem and its effects, and without lots of pondering. Writing a great story takes all of them.

Now, for my point today. Don’t beat yourself up for not having your fingers on the keyboard 24/7. I hear a lot of writers chiding themselves for not writing a word for a day or days. Your story has stilled. It’s growing inside you. A worthy story takes thought and research and study to create. It takes time to get to know your characters. Take the time to do all.

Oh, here is what was said and got me thinking.

“Creating is one of the most powerful, deliberate acts that human beings can do. It is one of the most important reasons to exist. If I do my job right, my listeners will experience what I experience while creating.” Yanni

One of the most important reasons to exist. Love it!

YANNI

8 comments

  1. Beth Trissel // January 27, 2013 at 9:53 AM  

    What a wonderful inspiring and uplifting post and quote! And much needed today. Thanks so much, Autumn.

  2. Beth Trissel // January 27, 2013 at 9:53 AM  

    What a wonderful inspiring and uplifting post and quote! And much needed today. Thanks so much, Autumn.

  3. Barbara Monajem // January 27, 2013 at 12:01 PM  

    Lovely, Autumn, and so true. I don't try to write more than a few hours a day, except once in a while when it flows for longer. The story develops inside me while I'm doing other stuff, and when it's ready, it comes out.

  4. Autumn Jordon // January 27, 2013 at 2:15 PM  

    Thanks, Beth and Barbara. I'm glad I inspired you today.

  5. Anonymous // January 27, 2013 at 2:26 PM  

    I too love Yanni. There I've said it. What an inspirational post. Thanks for sharing with us.

    Scarlet

  6. Mary Marvella // January 27, 2013 at 3:15 PM  

    Awesome post, Autumn! We get inspiration in many ways! Thanks for sharing this with us today.

  7. Patrice Wilton // January 29, 2013 at 8:41 AM  

    Ohhh! I like that. Great post, and idea.
    Let me think:
    I am what I am (is that how it goes?) because---
    I can't remember how it goes.
    But I love it!

  8. Mary Ricksen // January 30, 2013 at 7:35 PM  

    I so agree! I can imagine where some authors get their ideas. For me, something just trigger it.