For many Christmas is synonym of snow, cold, a fire in the chimney; indoors decorated Christmas trees; evergreen wreaths and garlands; red ribbons to accent the Christmas look; twinkling lights decorating the doors and front yards; and a spicy hot punch; or hot chocolate to warm you up.

Christmas in Ohio
Yes that’s the Christmas I remember having when my children were growing, in school and in college.It was so cold outside, and so warm and cozy inside.

Christmas in Florida

My present Christmas is so different. How do you celebrate Christmas in Florida? In church, nothing is changed, but all the rest is different. Our Christmas trees are often smaller. We decorate palm trees and take advantage of our clement weather. You can find us at the beach if the temperature is in the seventies.


Outdoors decorations


My latest book, CHRISTMAS BABIES, is a heartwarming holiday story, set in South Florida.

Dedicated to her patients, the serious Dr. Madelyn Ramsay never had time for fun. An unexpected health problem jolts her into the realization that there’s more to life than just work. She longs to surrender to the magic of Christmas.


But can she handle the charming and secretive Dr. Nick Preston who carries his own package of disillusions?

Can she allow two newborn twins to worm their way into her heart?


8 comments

  1. Barbara Monajem // December 12, 2012 at 1:05 PM  

    I love the decorated palm trees, Mona! And your story sounds just the thing for a holiday read.

  2. Beth Trissel // December 12, 2012 at 2:17 PM  

    The decorated palm trees are lovely, although utterly foreign to me. I love the sound of your new book.

  3. Mona Risk // December 12, 2012 at 3:49 PM  

    Thank you, Barbara. The decorated palm trees are all over now. Kind of cute.

  4. Mona Risk // December 12, 2012 at 3:50 PM  

    Hi Beth, I hope you enjoy my story.

  5. Mary Ricksen // December 13, 2012 at 5:18 PM  

    For me, Florida does not make me feel Christmasy! I need the snow to get in the mood. I want spruce trees for the holidays. Palm trees are good for the rest of the year. But, to be in the mood, I wanna smell the fur trees!
    Oh well, there's always Balsam and Cedar incense. Smells so good!

  6. Scarlet Pumpernickel // December 14, 2012 at 12:12 AM  

    Mona, I enjoyed hearing of the different Christmas traditions in Florida. Amazing the difference a few hundred miles makes. We've been having some cold weather this week. Not freezing, but definitely sweater weather. Wore my Christmas sweater to school today. I'm looking forward to reading your new book while out of Christmas break. It looks like a very good read.

  7. Mary Marvella // December 14, 2012 at 12:18 AM  

    Sounds like our Mona can make Christmas happen anywhere! Yes, it is COLD here!

  8. Josie // December 24, 2012 at 11:49 AM  

    Hi Mona,
    We are NY transplants now living in SC, so we are still adjusting to the warm weather.