Santa Must Die!!

Posted by Mary Ricksen | 12:00 AM | 17 comments »




Sharon Donovan, an extremely talented,  and inspirational person, passed away in April. She spoke and told us where her story was. The terrific editor, Lori Graham, took publishing her Novella, as a personal must complete goal. You couldn't know Sharon, without loving her. She was that kind of soul.

I didn't know what I was going to say today. When I think of Sharon, it just comes, and I knew it would hit me. Today it did.
       
I was approving the final of some bookmarks and post cards I'd ordered. And I realized Iforgot a few things.
       
One was a link, I wanted to add her tag line for the book, Santa Must Die!                                  

             
Sounds horrid eh. Well, obviously it's not the real Santa that Sharon decided to kill. That's all I'm saying.

So I go to the printer, a local one. I like to make changes and approve and I like to use local business's. I'm standing behind the counter speaking to a guy in his early forties. He suggests a place to put the QR code. I thought it a good idea, since it's not in print.

Just before I finish, I say, "Oh, you have to add the tag line." I point to where I want it.
He holds his pen in hand. "What is it."
I say with a big smile, "Santa Must Die!"
All was quiet for a moment and then I heard this terrible scream. "Murderer! Dad! Don't let her kill Santa!!!"

I of course, could not hold back my laughter. 
I watched the corners of the young salesman's lips raise as he tried not to chuckle.
Then this pint sized miniature of the salesman pops his head around a corner. His eyes like giant cheerios. "Lady, you have to leave. My Dad ain't gonna do no papers for a Santa murderer." His sincerity only made me want to laugh louder. But, Dad, raised one eyebrow. So, I whispered to call me when the promo stuff was ready. And when he does, I'm gonna tell him to make sure his mini me wasn't there. I don't wanna be the one who kills Christmas...

Sharon called us the Golden Girls and when I'd  ask who I was, she'd just laugh. She also thought nothing of throwing my boobs to the whales, so they could bouncein the air, when she joked on the Author Roast and Toast blog.

So considering her sense of humor, I figure she played a joke on me today! That little boy is never there according to his father. Sharon, you got me! Thanks for the chuckle!

This is what Hywela Lyn had to say...The third Golden Girl-
          
I first met Sharon when I read an interview where she mentioned how she'd turned to writing after she lost her sight. I was so full of admiration for this brave, determined woman and had to drop her a note.  She answered my email straight away and we started corresponding and soon formed a lasting and loving friendship.The day she came out of hospital after her first heart surgery, she telephoned me to wish me a Happy Birthday.  I am so glad I got to hear her voice through our telephone conversations. Her smile reached right down the telephone line.
 
Even while she was recuperating from the surgery, she carried on writing, and her first story starring Oliver 'Charade Of Hearts' received the Honour of the Preditor & Editor's award in January this year. 
 
When Mary and I visited her family in May, we were thrilled to find the MS for 'Kiss Of Death' on her computer.  I'm so glad her lovely editor, Lori, was able to get 'Kiss Of Death' ready for its Christmas release. I know her readers will love this second adventure with Oliver. Her spirit lives on through her books, full of suspense and vivid description. Sharon will never be forgotten!
Excerpt:
He flashed his badge and offered a cheeky smile.
“Detective Oliver Sharoné, New Orleans P.D.,
Homicide. Are you Camille Lafayette?”
Lulled by the patois of Cajun French in his voice,
Camille just stood there, mouth agape. Now that she
could clearly see him, he had the most dazzling smile
she’d ever seen.
“Ma’am?”
His lyrical voice was music to her ears. A rush of
hormones surged through her, leaving her weak in the
knees. Feeling a burning gush of desire, she forced
herself to nod, running her tongue through a very dry
mouth and pushing out the words. “Yes, I’m Camille
Lafayette. Is there a problem, Detective?”
Thunder and lightning crashed and collided, wilder
and wilder, echoing the primitive beat of her heart.
Silhouetted by roiling thunderclouds, Detective Oliver
Sharoné looked like a dark and dangerous warrior.
Dizzy and lightheaded, feeling drunk with emotion,
Camille was as highly charged as the electrical storm.
“May I come in for a moment, Ms. Lafayette? I
would like to ask you a few questions in regard to a
murder I’m investigating.”
Camille’s breath caught in her throat. A bolt of
panic surged through her. Shaken by the impact, she
stammered for words and said nothing. Her pulse
fluttered wildly in the hollow of her throat. This sexy
cop was about to turn her world upside down.
 
Sharon loved masks and New Orleans. She collected the masks and love to wear them. She also loved Oliver, and he will always love her. The perfect man, and she created him.

We miss you Sharon! You will always be in our hearts. Mary and Lyn...
 
ISBN# 978-1-61217-682-6 Digital

Santa Must Die.
The words in Camille Lafayette’s dream are a chilling prelude of events to come. She sees herself as the killer, and when the murder is actually committed, she becomes the prime suspect.
When handsome Detective Oliver Sharone turns up at her New Orleans family home, he is searching for answers. The evidence against her seems damning. An image captured on the victim’s camera resembles Camille, and the red feather mask worn by the murderer came from her shop.
The instant chemistry between Camille and Oliver is an added complication, which grows deeper as they work together to discover the truth. It becomes a race against time to find the real murderer before he not only loses his heart completely, but the killer strikes again. And this time the victim could be Camille herself.

Links
http://sharondonovan.com
Available at The Wind Rose Press  http://www.wildrosepress.com
 Amazon, Barnes & Noble and all other book sources
 

17 comments

  1. P.L. Parker // November 30, 2012 at 9:08 AM  

    Beautiful cover and Sharon would have been so proud.

  2. Hywela Lyn // November 30, 2012 at 11:29 AM  

    Hello Mary

    How funny! Oh Sharon would have loved that! I reckon you're right and she's sitting with the angels laughing her head off!

    As Patsy says, that cover is absolutely gorgeous. Can't wait for the book to be released on 5th December. Folks, if you like a romantic suspense full of mystery and with a sizzling hot hero, this is one you don't want to miss.

    Three cheers for Sharon. Your many fans love you.

  3. Maeve Greyson // November 30, 2012 at 11:57 AM  

    I do believe I hear Sharon chuckling. Merry Christmas, Roses. May Sharon watch over us all! :-)

  4. Mary Ricksen // November 30, 2012 at 12:14 PM  

    She always laughed at me! That little devilish chuckle! I know she spoofed me!

  5. Lilly Gayle // November 30, 2012 at 12:27 PM  

    What a funny and beautiful story. I never met Sharon, but I enjoyed her humor on the Author Roast and Toast blog. Glad I got to "meet" her there.

  6. Mona Risk // November 30, 2012 at 12:38 PM  

    I have several emails from Sharon and I treasure them. The cover is beautiful and the book sounds like a fun read.

  7. Barbara Monajem // November 30, 2012 at 1:09 PM  

    Great cover, great premise. I didn't know Sharon, but she must have been a ton of fun.

    And a hilarious anecdote from you, Mary, as usual. :~))

  8. Calisa Rhose // November 30, 2012 at 1:10 PM  

    What a cute story. I can hear Sharin laughing. Beautiful cover and I can't wait to read Oliver's story!

  9. Allison Chase // November 30, 2012 at 1:17 PM  

    Yes, it does sound like Sharon was having a heavenly little chuckle at your expense, Mary. She was lucky to have such good friends!

  10. Unknown // November 30, 2012 at 1:56 PM  

    You guys are great for doing this for her and her family. :-)

  11. Judith Keim // November 30, 2012 at 3:21 PM  

    Wonderful, Mary! What a tribute to your friend! I didn't know her but if your story is true to her sense of humor, I sure missed out!

  12. Autumn Jordon // November 30, 2012 at 6:51 PM  

    What a beautiful post. I'm all teary. I'm sure Sharon is looking down on you both and smiling.

  13. Mary Marvella // November 30, 2012 at 8:05 PM  

    Mary, you always manage to touch our hearts and make us smile. Sharon must have been a wonderful person for you to care so much for her.

    I would love to have seen your expression when the kid protested!

  14. Pamela Varnado // November 30, 2012 at 10:14 PM  

    Though I didn't know Sharon, she sounds like she was a lovely wonderful. Publishing her story is a wonderful way to remember her because we put so much of ourselves in everything we write.

  15. Mackenzie Crowne // December 1, 2012 at 12:59 AM  

    Oh, I'm so glad I got to read this post tonight. After all, I'm a firm believer in angels and there are wings flapping all over the place here, delivering joy and smiles.

    Unfortunately, I only knew Sharon briefly, but the joyous love in her heart obviously lives on in the hearts and memories of her good friends.

    What an incredible legacy she left behind.

  16. Mary Ricksen // December 1, 2012 at 1:27 PM  

    She was very special, but then you all are! And all her peeps loved her as much as she loved them!
    She was a pistol!

  17. Josie // December 3, 2012 at 9:27 AM  

    Thanks so much, Mary, for the beautiful tribute to Sharon. I didn't personally know Sharon, but she is leaving behind a treasured legacy.