It's almost Thanksgiving and already my mind is shot. I have been editing for clients and thinking about opportunities.  Yes, other writers trust me enough to pay me to edit their Indie books. Any idea why?

I think it's because I don't like to mess with a writer's voice or style or rhythm.  So what do I do?
1. I suggest corrections for grammatical errors. Yes, I know dialogue and introspection aren't always grammatically correct. However, I'd like to give my writers the chance to make both clear and sharp and effective. Do I leave fragments in scenes? Of course I do, just not a lot of them.  I have even added a few fragments.
2. I correct punctuation. Yes, there are rules, and a misplaced comma can make a BIG difference in meaning.
3. I add emotion and impact to scenes to engage readers without changing the tone the writer has set.  
4. I let my writers know when I get lost in their scenes or moving from scene to scene and suggest ways to transition or fill in blanks.
5. I use each writer's words as much as I can and delete extra words that dilute the effect of a sentence. 
6. I do let my writers know if actions, dialogue, or emotions don't make sense and I make suggestions.
7. I do try to read each manuscript at least twice so I can find typos and spelling errors.

As long as I work for my writers and for myself I have options and control of what I say and do.  Now about those folks who wonder how an editor can miss a spelling error or three.

What would you want an editor to do for you?  The secret is still a secret for this week.

Haunting Refrain is still free on Amazon for Wednesday. Go get it!
Happy Thanksgiving!


 




http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0057033GG.http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0057033GG
Haunting Refrain

6 comments

  1. Mary Ricksen // November 20, 2012 at 6:57 PM  

    I want my editor to know a lot more then me! LOL and my critique group too!
    An extra eye is always great, but, I want someone smarter then I am to find my big errors!!!

  2. Pamela Varnado // November 21, 2012 at 12:25 AM  

    Mary, I totally understand why people pay you to edit. Your ability to find errors and make suggestions is a gift from God. As one of your critique partners, I know this firsthand. My commas would be all over the place without you. LOL. As for what I want in and editor, well, I want an editor who believes in my talent and is willing to help me perfect my craft.

  3. Mary Marvella // November 21, 2012 at 12:34 AM  

    Mary, dies that mean you trust your editor?

  4. Mary Marvella // November 21, 2012 at 12:36 AM  

    Pam, you always make me feel good! Sometimes editors make so many changes we wonder what they did like. Why take a fresh new voice and take out the things that make it fresh?

  5. Mary Marvella // November 21, 2012 at 12:28 PM  

    OOPS, see above error. Does Mary R trust her editor in all things?

  6. Josie // November 26, 2012 at 2:32 PM  

    MM,
    I'm not surprised that you are an amazing editor. And, a belated thank you for your free promotion.