Adding to Mona's post yesterday, I was a reenactor for Drake's Raid in St. Augustine at the Castillo de San Marcos. In 1585, English pirates fired their muskets at townspeople at the Santa Domingo.

Sir Francis Drake is famous for circumnavigating the globe and defeating the Spanish Armada—not for ransacking a town of 300 inhabitants called St. Augustine. However, the reenactment of that historic day, June 6, 1586, has taken place for 135 years. The Historic Florida Militia presents its reenactment at the Fountain of Youth every year beginning in the morning and continuing until nearly sundown. The Fountain of Youth hosts a military encampment with demonstrations of cooking, military maneuvers, some crafting, and other activities typical of 16th century life in a newly established Spanish colony. The sacking and burning of the town is reenacted in the evening, generally beginning at 8 p.m. on Aviles Street. A procession of soldiers marches from there to St. George Street and continues to the City Gate, where a skirmish will break out. The skirmish is a tactical demonstration of the Spanish rear-guard action with simulated combat. The activities are a symbolic commemoration of one of St. Augustine’s fiery moments in history.

I've included some pictures of my horse Alegre, me, my friend Helen and her horse Excalibur (I'm in the red hat) at the reenactment.
My favorite period for reenactments is the English Civil War but the reenactments are difficult to find. I no longer ride or participate in reenactments but both are sorely missed.

7 comments

  1. Judith Keim // March 4, 2011 at 11:43 AM  

    Linda, I love this!! That's you on that beautiful, beautiful horse? I've always wanted to do a reenactment of colonial times after visiting Plimoth Plantation in Massachusetts and talking to some of the "characters"...what fun!

  2. Mary Ricksen // March 4, 2011 at 12:02 PM  

    Cool! Gosh I wish I could see it in person!!

  3. Josie // March 4, 2011 at 12:25 PM  

    Linda,
    You never fail to amaze me. What an interesting reenactment. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

  4. Barbara Monajem // March 4, 2011 at 6:55 PM  

    I have wanted to go to St. Augustine for ages... but every time I go to Florida, I'm in a hurry to get someplace else and don't make it!!

    What a beautiful horse, Linda. Sigh.

  5. Scarlet Pumpernickel // March 4, 2011 at 7:15 PM  

    Linda,
    Thanks for sharing your pictures. You and your mount look grand! I'm sure you miss riding. Is there no way you can return to your beloved activity?

  6. Mary Marvella // March 4, 2011 at 7:44 PM  

    Ladies, I have seen her ride! She is awesome!

    Love the pictures and the commentary, Linda!

  7. Nightingale // March 4, 2011 at 8:15 PM  

    Thanks everyone! Lately, the urge/itch to ride has been so powerful, I may have to visit a riding stable and sling a leg over a horse. Trouble is, there's nothing like an Andalusian. I'm spoiled!