Sharing a Sentimental Moment

Posted by Judith Keim | 8:02 AM | 10 comments »

I was sitting at my desk yesterday morning, when two sonic booms brought me to my feet. The dog barked and I ran to the window, knowing immediately what it was. I raced outdoors and heard the steady sound of the shuttle coming in for a landing. I hurried to the TV and watched as the Challenger came in for a smooth landing for the last time after twenty-five years of work. The announcer’s voice faltered and tears slid down my cheeks at the realization. I always get squishy and teary when I see a shuttle or rocket take off or glide in for a landing. It’s us, America, reaching for the stars. Part of me is reaching, too.

I don’t want to get into the political arena with my sharing except to say that we cannot put aside all the space program has done for us, intellectually and culturally. I distinctly remember when John Glenn made his trip many years ago. It was a beginning. I can tell you exactly where I was, who I was with, etc. because it made such a strong impression on me.

Now that I live on the Space Coast of Florida, I’m very aware of the people, the brains, the work ethic behind the Space Program. I’m not sure where politics will take us in this arena, but wanted to share a moment that touched my heart.

May our children and our grandchildren never stop reaching for the stars!

10 comments

  1. Beth Trissel // May 27, 2010 at 9:07 AM  

    That is so kewl, Judy. Wow. I've always been awed by space exploration. I was five when John Glen orbited the earth and my grandparents insisted I take a break from my play to watch him on the little black and white tv. I was 12 when the first Star Trek program aired and it totally blew me away. I've always loved reading and watching things about space. But I must be really out of touch because I didn't realize our space program was being curtailed. What the heck?

  2. Judith Keim // May 27, 2010 at 11:30 AM  

    I know...I think it's a big mistake. The initiation of space travel sent this country into an intellectual frenzy of math and science...think about where we are now... :(

  3. Barbara Monajem // May 27, 2010 at 1:21 PM  

    Wow, Judy, it must be so cool to see and hear the shuttle. And... I don't suppose this is an ending, but rather a pause.

    We're a long way from the kind of space travel we see in books and movies, but I believe we'll get there one of these days. (Not in my lifetime, perhaps, but... someday.)

  4. Judith Keim // May 27, 2010 at 1:24 PM  

    I don't think it's an ending but a beginning of something different. As long as we continue to reach out, I think it will be a good thing. Scary to think I'm seeing the end of "an era"... I'm not THAT old, am I?

  5. Josie // May 27, 2010 at 1:49 PM  

    Wow, Judy, to live in such an interesting area of Florida. Although my kids are now grown, my older son still loves anything to do with flying.

  6. Mary Marvella // May 27, 2010 at 2:34 PM  

    Too cool, Judy. I watched the first moonwalk when I was in grad school.

    You're right, it must continue, even if in a different form.

    Thanks for sharing this!

  7. Mary Ricksen // May 27, 2010 at 5:53 PM  

    How true! It has to continue.
    I have watched almost every takeoff from here in West Palm Beach. It has a huge trail of white in the sunny blue skies and looks like a shiny little pin in the distance. I watched the one that blew up. It freaked me out. We run from TV to front yard to see it. How sad it's over and there is nothing in it's place!
    We know the chances of other beings are very high in the finite skies. Let's not miss them.

  8. Judith Keim // May 28, 2010 at 8:41 AM  

    Thanks, everyone, for your comments! Of course, I meant for our children and grandchildren to reach for the stars in every way!! Into space or in other small ways...

  9. Mona Risk // May 28, 2010 at 2:03 PM  

    Judy, I went to Cape Canaveral two years ago and visited a shuttle. I can imagine your excitement at being a witness to such an exciting moment.

  10. Alyssa Maxwell // May 28, 2010 at 4:31 PM  

    Americans are pioneers and explorers by definition, so I can't believe we'll stay grounded here on earth for very long. As a fellow Floridian, however, I do worry for the economy of the Space Coast, at least in the short term. I dearly hope the area can get through the iterim all right while NASA regroups.