Conferences

Posted by Patrice Wilton | 1:53 PM | 12 comments »

Hello everyone,
Sorry for the late post. We've been talking a lot lately about the RWA National, and now that it's here in Orlando, a lot of the FRW's are going, when they didn't plan on doing so before. For anyone who hasn't been, the national, is a huge, exciting, sometimes a little overwhelming event. I have been to two, and the first one was in New Orleans about 8 or 9 years ago, and I found the experience somewhat intimidating. Now that I'm a seasoned conference attendee, and have an agent, the second experience was much more rewarding. I was able to meet my agent, go out for dinner with her and her clients, and socialize with all the wonderful writers that I have now met. Last year, I did not attend, because I find that at such a huge event you only have a chance to connect with one editor, whereas with the smaller conferences, particularly the FRW Cruise with the Muse, I was able to get an appointment with all three of my choices. And as much as I love to party with all my friends, the national is very expensive and to go for one appt. is hardly worth while. But it's all about networking, and it is certainly great for that.
So I do hope to see you all in Orlando at the end of July, but for those who want a smaller, more intimate, and fun conference, here is the link to the FRW Cruise with your muse. It will be a very exciting event, and the Fort Lauderdale group of writers are the greatest, most enthusiastic, party hardy, supportive, friendliest group you'll ever meet. So come on down in January, and book your cabin early!
Here's the info:


Set Sail with with the Florida Romance Writers' Cruise With Your Muse conference at sea, setting sail January 2011.
Due date to sign up & lock in current cruise rate is June 15!!! The Florida Romance Writers is proud to present keynote speakers Heather Graham, Joan Johnston & Sally Schoeneweiss for the 2011 Fun in the Sun Conference.
Cruise with your Muse January 20th-24th, 2011on-board the Carnival DestinyDeparts from Miami, Fl.Ports-of-Call: Key West & Cozumel, Mexico
Agents and Editors:Wanda Ottewell- HarlequinErika Tsang- AvonLucy Childs- Aaron M. Priest Literary AgencyLucienne Diver- The Knight AgencyOther Highlights include:* Sizzling Workshops* Floridian Idol, Season 4* Shipboard Entertainment* Panoramic Ocean ViewsConference with FRW on our 25th Anniversary! We promise to make it an amazing experience! Space is limited, so don't delay. Reserve your spot and get those passports ready. Passport is required!For more information visit our website at http://frwfuninthes unmain.blogspot. com/You can also find us on Facebook @ FRW Cruise With Your Muse http://www.facebook .com/group. php?gid=33410248 0558#!/group. php? v=wall&gid= 334102480558 We look forward to seeing you in January, Kimberly BurkeConference CoordinatorEmail: FRWfuninthesun@ yahoo.com

12 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // May 11, 2010 at 2:58 PM  

    Patrice, I love conferences. I attend National every year to see many friends I have met and see only once a year. I love the energy.

    Moonlight and Magnolias is the Georgia Romance Writers conference. I'll share details about that one later.

  2. Patrice Wilton // May 11, 2010 at 3:20 PM  

    Ooh, I've always wanted to go to that one. They have a great contest too. I thought about it last year because Ralph has a son who lives in Atlanta, but I didn't think the line up of editors was that good. Am I wrong?

  3. Margaret Tanner // May 11, 2010 at 6:39 PM  

    Wow Patrice, the cruise sounds marvelous. Wish I didn't live so far away, I would have loved to have gone.
    I am attending a conference in Adelaide, South Australia, this Saturday, taking a few days holiday there as well.

    Cheers

    Margaret

  4. Patrice Wilton // May 11, 2010 at 7:22 PM  

    Hey Margaret, Thanks for stopping in. I'd like to join you in Adelaide, used to go there for the Grand Prix. Do there still have that going on? How are you doing? I'm still writing, 4 books since my last one sold! It's discouraging, I must say! Have a great time at your conference. Give my love to Australia!

  5. Barbara Monajem // May 11, 2010 at 7:51 PM  

    I try to go to RWA National and Moonlight and Magnolias every year. Also, there's a conference in Canada -- the Surrey International Writers' Conference -- that I've attended a couple of times and really enjoyed, particularly since it covers many genres (i.e. not just romance).

  6. Mary Ricksen // May 11, 2010 at 7:55 PM  

    I was going to go but realized it was crazy for me to spend all that money. So I'm gonna do the cruise, I can't wait. The FRW group is really great.

  7. Patrice Wilton // May 11, 2010 at 9:04 PM  

    Barbara,
    I can't believe you've been to the Surry conference, is that near New Westminster, BC? I grew up in Surrey and my sister lives in Langley. Is that a decent conference? I know Vancouver has one, but never made that either.

  8. Anonymous // May 11, 2010 at 9:04 PM  

    Patrice,

    I am defintely taking advantage of the fact that RWA will be in FLA this year, can not wait. I have heard it is a very professional atmosphere.

    I will also be going on the cruise and for those of you who have not been I would highly reccomend it. I was so energized after the retreat in January the high lasted for 2 months. Getting the one on one time with the editors was really valuable. Not to mention the floridian idol, where else can you get immediate feedback on your work from an editor!

    See you on Destiny!
    Kimberly

  9. Judith Keim // May 12, 2010 at 11:07 AM  

    The cruise looks like fun... All conferences have great benefits, even if you're alone and don't know too many people. The information is well worth any discomfort

  10. Judith Keim // May 12, 2010 at 11:08 AM  

    Even if I find it hard sometimes

  11. Nancy J. Cohen // May 12, 2010 at 3:44 PM  

    I've already signed up for the FRW cruise conference and now I have to consider National RWA as well. Visit my blog for my post about The Other Orlando: Beyond the Theme Parks. http://nancyjcohen.wordpress.com

  12. Josie // May 15, 2010 at 9:42 AM  

    Patrice,
    I haven't attended a conference in a while, and your post has spurred me on. The FRW is a great group.