Posted by Judith Keim | 10:36 AM | | 7 comments »

May 1st Saturday 12:10 PM

We are awaiting the birth of Jayden Andrew Keim, the first grandson in the family, due any day, hour, minute. We already have two wonderful granddaughters and another grandson is due July 1st of this year, so we have a lot to celebrate. But this little boy is special because he’s the first child for my oldest son and his wife and will, most likely, be their only child.
I check the clock, adjusting the time by three hours to accommodate the time change on the west coast, where Jayden will make his appearance, aware of how much time can be wasted, waiting for something to happen in the writing world. I have a children’s story out to an agent who will take 3-4 months or more to respond. Am I simply to wait, watching the clock, the calendar? Heck, no!

I’ve got to keep going! I’ve got other stories to write, edit and submit. Maybe I’ll even send this same story on to another agent, if I think there’s a match. And I’ve got my women’s fiction writing, too. Maybe I’ll enter a contest. Anything to keep me happy and fulfilled within this crazy business that is the soul of me. I have to keep reading, keep writing, keep working to enjoy success along the way.

I may be doing lots of other things besides watching the clock while I’m waiting for that call that says Jayden is finally on his way, but my suitcase is packed and ready to go!!

May 2nd Sunday 7:53 AM

After receiving a joyful call at 12:33 AM that Jayden has indeed arrived, we awake early, eager to be on our way. Packed and ready to go, we leave the long-faced dog (a pet sitter will arrive to take him home with her) and head for the airport.

May 2nd Sunday 4:20 PM

We land in Seattle after going through Minneapolis. A long day, but I’ve read an entire book, so that was good. Things are unsettled at the hospital so we stare at a picture and talk to my son and daughter-in-law and agree to meet them Monday morning when they finally get the clearance for my daughter-in-law to leave, sometime after 10 PM. (1 AM our time).

Monday 6:45 AM

I remember I’ve committed to do a blog today and go to my computer, trying not to watch the clock as I prepare to meet the little boy we’ve all been waiting for. Can hardly wait as I watch the minutes tick by!

7 comments

  1. Author Roast and Toast // May 3, 2010 at 3:58 PM  

    How exciting!!! Your heart must be pounding in anticipation. Gimme that kid! I can't wait to hold it and smell it's tiny head! I am so jealous!
    Good for you, have a great trip, and a lot of love to share!

  2. Mona Risk // May 3, 2010 at 8:36 PM  

    Judy, Congratulations to you and the new parents. What a warm feeling to watch your new grandchild and then hold him.

  3. Josie // May 3, 2010 at 9:18 PM  

    Congratulations, Judy, to you and your entire family. What an exciting, precious time for all of you. Enjoy your new grandchild.

  4. Judith Keim // May 3, 2010 at 11:39 PM  

    Thank you to everyone for your sweet comments! It's so nice to have others share your joy! You guys are the best!

  5. Beth Trissel // May 4, 2010 at 9:08 AM  

    Oh Judy, what a wonderful post. You deeply touched me. Please post pics of that special little guy asap!

  6. Autumn Jordon // May 4, 2010 at 11:38 AM  

    Congratulations!!! What a wonderful post. You put us right there with you. (((HUGS))) As soon as you get back from loving the little guy we want more reports and pictures.

    Congrats to mom and dad too!

  7. Mary Marvella // May 5, 2010 at 2:49 PM  

    Okay, now we must have more grandma blogs!
    Awesome, Judy.

    Sorry I couldn't get here to read this sooner. My Internet was wonky.