“A heart well worth winning, and well won. A heart that, once won, goes through fire and water for the winner, and never changes, and is never daunted.” ~ Charles Dickens

Through the Fire
~ Finalist 2008 Golden Heart ® Contest

When I wrote my historical romance novel Through the Fire I felt as though I’d been through the flames. My hero and heroine certainly had. This adventure romance with a strong The Last of the Mohicans flavor and a mystical weave was born in the fertile ground of my imagination, fed by years of research and a powerful draw to my colonial roots.

My fascination with stirring tales of the colonial frontier and Eastern Woodland Indians is an early and abiding one. My English/Scot-Irish ancestors were among the first settlers of the Shenandoah Valley and had family members killed and captured by the Indians. Some individuals returned and left intriguing accounts of their captivity, while others disappeared without a trace. On the Houston/Rowland side of the family, I have ties to Governor Sam Houston, President James Madison and Malcolm 1st of Scotland (that last one’s a stretch).

Family annals list early names like Beale, Jordan, Madison, and Hite (a German connection I discovered). A brief account of my grandmother (six times removed) Elizabeth Hite, says her sister Eleanor was taken captive and sister Susan killed, though not by which tribe. Their brother Jacob was killed by the Cherokee.

Another ancestor, Mary Moore, is the subject of a book entitled The Captives of Abb’s Valley. A Moffett forebear captured as a child became a boyhood companion of the revered Shawnee Chief Tecumseh. When young Moffett grew up, he married into the tribe and had a son, but that’s the subject of a different novel. A Pennsylvanian ancestor on the Churchman side of the family was invited by the Shawnee/Delaware to help negotiate a treaty with the English because he was Quaker and they were more sympathetic to the plight of the Indians.

Many accounts are left unrecorded, though. Historian Joseph Waddell says we know only a fraction of the drama that occurred during the Indian Wars. I invite you back to a time long forgotten by most.

****

Hear the primal howl of a wolf, the liquid spill of a mountain stream. Welcome to the colonial frontier where the men fire muskets and wield tomahawks and the women are wildcats when threatened. The year is 1758, the height of the French and Indian War. Passions run deep in the raging battle to possess a continent, its wealth and furs. Both the French and English count powerful Indian tribes as their allies. The Iroquois League, Shawnee, and others bring age-old rivalries to the conflict—above all the ardent desire to hold onto what is theirs. Who will live, and who will fall?

For more on my work please visit: www.bethtrissel.com

The French and Indian War, a Shawnee warrior, an English lady, blood vengeance, deadly pursuit, primal, powerful, passionate…THROUGH THE FIRE.

7 comments

  1. Scarlet Pumpernickel // October 16, 2009 at 9:43 PM  

    Beth,
    I'm supposed to be writing. It's my long weekend and I'd planned to write, but I downloaded Through The Fire and now, I am hopelessly side tracked! Just got to know how the story plays out. You hooked me girlfriend.

  2. Beth Trissel // October 16, 2009 at 9:48 PM  

    Thanks so much for telling me, Scarlet. :)

  3. Mary Marvella // October 17, 2009 at 1:12 AM  

    Fabulous, Beth!

  4. Judith Keim // October 17, 2009 at 8:37 AM  

    Beth, great post! Your writing is wonderful and I'm glad you're doing so well. I love reading about your family background and how your stories resonate with meaningful history

  5. Beth Trissel // October 17, 2009 at 4:42 PM  

    Thanks Mary and Judy. I love stories that tie in with history and family.

  6. Patrice Wilton // October 17, 2009 at 7:16 PM  

    Beth, What an amazing story you have to share. Your ancestral background is certainly a reason for your passion and interest. How did you learn of their fates? This is fascinating.
    Patrice

  7. Nightingale // October 19, 2009 at 8:08 PM  

    Great trailer, great pix for a great book.