Welcome My Friend Raven Hart

Posted by Mary Marvella | 11:18 PM | 19 comments »



Please help me welcome Raven Hart, otherwise known as Susan Goggins. Shhh, don't tell.
I've known her since around 1991 as a member of Georgia Romance Writers. This woman loves questions, so ask away!

Raven, what was your first published book and to whom?

My first sale was to Harlequin Duets. Shortly after that I sold two books to Kensington Bouquet. Even though the Harlequin sale came first, the first Kensington book came out before the Duets.

How many books did you write before selling one?

Three, but I wound up selling two of those after the first sale.

What themes go through your books?

Romance, of course, but with my current Savannah Vampires series from Ballantine books, I bring in heavier themes as well. Vampires think about how short life is for their human friends, what it’s like being cut off from the grace of God often through no fault of their own, what it’s like not being able to walk in the sun with the humans you love, that sort of thing. But there’s also lots of comedy and adventure in my series: (“The Vampire’s Seduction,” “The Vampire’s Secret,” “The Vampire’s Kiss,” “The Vampire’s Betrayal,” and the upcoming, “The Vampire’s Revenge”)

How would you best describe your books?

They’re sexy, funny, and scary. I have a traditional old-world vampire and a younger NASCAR-loving, womanizing redneck vampire. Both are devastatingly handsome of course. There’s also a voodoo queen, some shape-shifters, and some fey folk.

How do you handle deadlines?


I’m pretty bad about procrastination, so I’m always playing catch-up at deadline time. When you’re on deadline, the only way is to apply your behind to the chair and your keys to the keyboard for as long as it takes.

How many books have you published?


Three series romances and five single titles.

What other jobs have you had?

I wrote computer manuals for over 25 years. I’ve also been a speech writer at a K Street PR firm in Washington, DC, a newspaper reporter, and assistant editor of a trade magazine.

What do you love most about writing and do you not like?


I love writing because it’s fun to make up interesting characters and use them to tell exciting stories. I also like being able to do my work at home in my comfy clothes with my dog napping by my side and a mug of hot chocolate in my hand. There’s not much about writing that I don’t like, in fact I can’t think of anything except the occasional case of writer’s block.

What are you writing now?


I’m contemplating the next book in my vampire series and working on a couple of new projects that are so new I can’t even talk about them yet.

What would you write if you could do write anything you wanted to write?

I like writing fantasy because your characters can do anything you can think of. If you want them to fly, they can fly. It’s very liberating. I also want to do funny southern fiction.

Why do you write?

It seems to be what I’m good at, I like it, and luckily people seem willing to pay me to do it.

How do you write?


I use an outline because it helps me organize my thoughts and keep track of my ideas. I’m not a draft writer. I seem unable to leave a paragraph until I’m completely happy with it. So I don’t write fast, but I write cleanly. I can’t write scenes out of order because I think in a very linear fashion, so I write a book from front to back.

Do you write what you know?


Well, I don’t know any real vampires so I suppose I’d have to say no.

What’s next for you?


I just hope to get another contract. I don’t think too far in advance.

When and why did you change genres
?

Opportunity knocked when I was asked to partner in authoring a vampire series, so I answered. I’m glad I did. That was about four years ago.


For more information check out
www.ravenhartbooks.com

Susan also writes for Belle Books, the perfect place for old styled Southern Fiction

www.bellebooks.com/author/susan-goggins

19 comments

  1. Edie Ramer // December 2, 2008 at 12:48 AM  

    Great interview! Susan/Raven, your books sound like their fun. I love a combination of dark with comedy. I want all the emotions in a book and it's not often I read books like that.

  2. Tamara LeBlanc // December 2, 2008 at 8:20 AM  

    Hi Susan. It was so great to hear your take on the writing experience. It was also nice to find out that you write from front to back. My thoughts don't skew off a time line either.
    My question for you is, Did you have an agent help you with your first sale? If yes, how was that experience? If no, what are your thoughts on that particular avenue?
    Thanks for sitting in with the PFSW's
    Tamara

  3. Beth Trissel // December 2, 2008 at 9:43 AM  

    Welcome to the Fuzzies, Raven. So glad you could be here. Great interview, great books!

  4. Anonymous // December 2, 2008 at 11:47 AM  

    Susan, loved the interview! Mary, you're always coming up with the best authors to visit the Fuzzies!

    Scarlet

  5. Raven // December 2, 2008 at 12:40 PM  

    Hi, guys, I'm sorry I'm late. I had to take my mom to the doc. She has bronchitis, poor thing.

  6. Raven // December 2, 2008 at 12:43 PM  

    Thanks, Edie! I hope you enjoy them. :-)

    Hi, Tamara. I did have an agent who helped make the first sale. I think I could have made that sale to Harlequin myself, but it was good to have her okay the contract.

    When writing single titles, as I do now, my agent has been essential in selling the vampire books. An agent can get you an answer in a matter of days or weeks instead of months (or even years!)

    Thanks, Beth! I'm glad I found this place. :-)

    Thanks, Scarlet! Mary's the best, isn't she?

  7. Walt Mussell // December 2, 2008 at 1:15 PM  

    Hi, Raven~

    Loved your last book! Does WCT make it back in this one, given that you killed him off in the last one?

  8. Raven // December 2, 2008 at 1:43 PM  

    Hi, Walt. William doesn't make it back in this one, but look for him in the one after that. :-)

  9. Mary Marvella // December 2, 2008 at 1:54 PM  

    Susan, I'm so glad you agreed to do this for us!

  10. Anonymous // December 2, 2008 at 2:47 PM  

    Susan, loved the interview. It's great to get another perspective on writing. Your vampire series is rocking. I love it, and promised my sister I would tell you personally that she is obsessed with the series.

    See you at GRW's Christmas party.

  11. Raven // December 2, 2008 at 4:20 PM  

    Mary, thanks for inviting me.

    Pam, thanks for the kind words. See you at the Christmas party!

  12. Anonymous // December 2, 2008 at 6:26 PM  

    Susan! I jumped from my chair when I read the Facebook announcement on your guest blogging stint. How are you doing, sweetie? Omigawd, it's been forever and a day, hasn't it? It's good to see you doing so well! Warm congrats on your wonderful successes. Here's to our paths crossing again very, very soon.

    xoxo

    Lori & Tony :> ;>
    aka Tori Carrington

  13. Anonymous // December 2, 2008 at 7:21 PM  

    Susan, glad you could stop by and visit with the Pink Fuzzies! It's a wonderful group. I found your interview very inspiring. I look forward to seeing you again soon at a GRW meeting!

    Melba from GRW

  14. Anonymous // December 2, 2008 at 7:24 PM  

    LOVED the interview Susan/Raven. I like the fact when an opportunity presented itself for you to write something different (with vamps) you jumped on it and found a whole new aspect to your writing. Like Edie, I love the mixture of dark with humor.

    THANK YOU for visiting with us here.

  15. Mary Ricksen // December 2, 2008 at 8:35 PM  

    Thanks so much for blogging with us.
    What a wonderful interview!
    Mary

  16. Nightingale // December 3, 2008 at 9:32 AM  

    Raven, I really enjoyed your first book and the others are on my to read list. Thanks for dropping by the Fuzzies with such a wonderful interview.

  17. Raven // December 3, 2008 at 10:02 AM  

    Toni and Lori! It's great to hear from you! You're right--it's been forever!
    I'm doing well. Hope y'all are too. Congrats on all your success! Hope to see you at M&M again soon!

  18. Raven // December 3, 2008 at 10:05 AM  

    Hello, Melba! Nice to hear from you.

    Thanks, Cyndi, Mary, and Nightengale!

    You all have made me feel right at home. :-)

  19. Josie // December 6, 2008 at 4:20 PM  

    Wonderful interview Susan/Raven. Welcome to the Pink Fuzzies and best wishes on your continued success.