Tell us about Elle James in three sentences.
Harlequin Intrigue author Elle James started writing on a challenge with her sister Delilah Devlin back in 2000. She writes murder, mysteries for Harlequin and Romantic Comedies for other publishers.


What was your first sale and how did you feel when you found out? What were you doing?
My first sale was when I sold my Golden Heart Winner TO KISS A FROG to Dorchester Publishing. I’d just gotten back from a heavy Tex-Mex meal to the office where I worked as an IT Manager. I was sitting in the parking garage when I noticed that I’d missed a call on my cell phone. When I found out it was an offer for my book, I happily accepted in a very calm voice and hung up. All that Tex-Mex food swirled around, threatening to revolt, my heart raced and I almost hyperventilated! Then I had to call my sister, Delilah Devlin to share the news. I was a complete waste at work for the rest of the day. I must have been walking on cloud nine because I swear I was floating about the cubicles!


Some folks are familiar with the challenge between you and your sister Delilah Devlin, are any of your books a product of that challenge?
My sister and I started writing co-authored books to learn the process and how to put together a good book. We co-authored 4 books, only one of which is now published. That book wrote itself it was so much fun. JACQ’S WARLORD (written under my pen name Myla Jackson) at Ellora’s Cave is a time travel from modern-day Atlanta to the 12th Century England. We loved writing that book and have ideas for sequels. If we only had more time!


Are you driven by deadlines and try to get your stories written in advance or do you have a tendency to procrastinate and wait until the last minute?
A little of both. Since some of my publishers don’t schedule a book until it’s done, edited and ready to go, I have to set my own deadlines. Most New York Publishers give you a date the manuscript is due. I work toward those due dates and rarely go over. It’s a business and I like to hold up my end of the production process by delivering my product on time and of a sufficient quality that it doesn’t need massive rewrites.

What’s next?
I have three books out in 2009 with Harlequin Intrigue:
Baby Bling – Apr 2009
Final Analysis – Sep 2009
For Better or For Worse – Dec 2009
You might not know this, but Harlequin has its 60th anniversary next year. I was invited to participate in two continuities in honor of the 60th anniversary. Baby Bling is part of the Diamonds and Daddies series and Final Analysis is part of the Kenner County Crime Unit series.


What are you working on now?
I’m working on For Better or For Worse. This is actually the sequel to Dakota Meltdown which was released in 2006. It’s the story of the serial killer’s wife and I set it in the Hill Country of Texas. I’ll be writing it through December and January.


If you weren’t writing what do you think you would be doing?
Working at the aerospace machine shop we own. I love helping out when I have more time away from writing.


What food can’t you live without?
Ice cream! Rocky Road to be specific!


What was the last really good movie you saw?
A: Eagle Eye! I love action adventure and it had plenty!

What is your favorite TV show?
Don’t hate me. I love American Idol and Dancing with the Stars. I also love the new Sanctuary.

Thank you Elle for visiting Pink Fuzzy Slipper Writers. Your upcoming Intrigues look, well, intriguing! :)

For one commenter today, I am giving away a personalized copy of Elle's latest Intrigue,

NICK OF TIME


If that isn't the hottest cover! YOW!!!

UPDATE - DECEMBER 18, 2008
Winner of the autographed book is Edie Ramer. Congrats Edie!

12 comments

  1. paula // December 12, 2008 at 3:27 PM  

    I enjoyed reading the interview with Elle. Its always interesting to learn a bit about the person who writes what you read.... And The cover of her new book has helped me regain a bit of my lost christmas spirit ...I may have to dig out the lights and hang them this evening ...and put up a tree!

  2. Mary Marvella // December 12, 2008 at 3:49 PM  

    Elle, you are so smokin'! Thanks for visiting us and reminding us we can do it! The cover at the bottom doesn't suck, except the air from my lungs! HOT!

  3. Anonymous // December 12, 2008 at 3:59 PM  

    Ladies - I'll check in later as home internet is off until tonight. Enjoy Elle's interview

  4. Mary Ricksen // December 12, 2008 at 4:48 PM  

    I am looking forward to reading your time travel, it's my favorite. I love that cover too. What a great thing it is that you can work with your sister!

  5. Keri Ford // December 12, 2008 at 5:11 PM  

    Hey, great interview! Are you straight category now or do you ever dip into single-title any more?

  6. Diana Cosby // December 12, 2008 at 5:20 PM  

    Elle, enjoyed your interview. I'll have to check out Eagle Eye, sounds like my kind of movie. Killer cover for Nick of Time! Happy holidays!

    Diana Cosby
    http://www.dianacosby.com
    His Captive/Alexander MacGruder
    His Woman/December 08/Duncan MacGruder - 4 star Romantic Times review!

  7. Liz Jasper // December 12, 2008 at 5:28 PM  

    I'm cracking up over the idea of you co-writing an EC book with your sister. That must have been a hoot.
    :) Liz

  8. Jill James // December 12, 2008 at 5:30 PM  

    A very good interview. I've already commented on that amazing cover at the Intrique Authors blog. It is sooooo hot!! Ho Ho Ho for Christmas spirit.

  9. Beth Trissel // December 12, 2008 at 6:25 PM  

    Welcome to the Fuzzies, Elle! Wonderful to have you as our guest.
    Great interview and no objections to the cover from me.

  10. Edie Ramer // December 12, 2008 at 9:01 PM  

    Terrific interview! Love the cover too! You're the only author I've heard who said she accepted in a calm voice. I'd probably stutter. lol

  11. Josie // December 14, 2008 at 4:40 PM  

    Welcome, Elle, to the Pink Fuzzies. I, also, began writing because my sister insisted we take an online writing course together.

    Thanks for joining us. Great interview.

  12. Elle James // December 17, 2008 at 4:37 PM  

    Thanks for inviting me to the blog. You're a lovely bunch of ladies here.

    I write Category for Harlequin and I've written single title for Dorchester and Ellora's Cave.

    I loved the Nick cover. I had to write a scene with a cowboy hat to make it fit the cover. LOL. It was great fun.