We were up early, enjoyed coffee and continental breakfast on our balcony as the ship entered the port of Katakolon where we went on a tour of the site of ancient Olympia, home of the original Olympic games.

Official entryway to the Olympic field through which all contestants would have passed. Amazing to think we were walking in the footsteps of the ancient Olympians. From this site the torch for the modern Olympic games is fired using a mirror to set the flame.

Field for Olympic games. I was amazed how small it was!

The Temple of Hera, Olympia.

Ruins of the Temple of Zeus at Olympia

Scarlet takes the carriage back to the top of the hill after touring Olympia!

Back to a family-run authentic Greek restaurant for traditional specialty foods before returning to the ship. No! that's not water, it Ouzo! Definitely an acquired taste! Daughter could not believe I ate octopus!

Traditional Greek Dancing! What a blast. We enjoyed every minute of the impromptu show.

Cooling our feet after a day at Olympia. MSC Musica in the background as we dip our feet into the water of the Ionian Sea!

Back on board we enjoy a drink on our private balcony with the lights of Greece twinkling in the dark Mediterranean night.

6 comments

  1. Anonymous // December 31, 2008 at 10:09 AM  

    This looks like a dream vacation. What beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing them.

  2. Liz Jasper // December 31, 2008 at 4:59 PM  

    Okay, posting this is just mean. I want to be there! Waaah!
    --Liz

  3. Mary Marvella // December 31, 2008 at 5:23 PM  

    I know! And Scarlet was green about my mountain retreat!

    Happy New Year all!

  4. Scarlet Pumpernickel // December 31, 2008 at 6:02 PM  

    Well, ladies the only way I could return to my normal peaches and cream complexion was to get my mind off the mountain retreat! What better way to get through that, plus the dredges of winter than to remember the sunny Mediterranean! Hope you enjoy the pictures. For those of you snow bound this New Year's pour yourselves a glass of wine and imagine you're there! I'll combine the last 5 ports into one post so as not to bore you. But I have some really good pictures of the Greek statues,(think naked Greek Gods!) if you get my drift. Guess I'll leave those out.

    Scarlet
    Happy New Year everyone!

  5. Mary Ricksen // December 31, 2008 at 7:39 PM  

    If I want to go there it will have to be via book only.
    But it sure looks like it was a very happy time for you.

  6. Scarlet Pumpernickel // December 31, 2008 at 11:11 PM  

    Actually, we found that it was quite reasonable to do the cruise and visit all the ports. The airfare was the worst part. The cruise prices were very good. It was my daughter's birthday present to herself and I tagged along! We had a ball!

    Scarlet