Happy Holidays

Posted by Nightingale | 1:34 PM | 5 comments »


Today, as many of us are doing, I'm cooking Christmas dinner. Though there are many things special about that endeavor, what makes for a memorable experience for me is that I am using my Mom's old cookbook that she used religiously every Sunday morning for Sunday dinner and, as I am doing today, for Christmas dinner, and every date in between.
The pages are brown around the edges and some of the binding is failing. Some of the recipes Mom had written by hand. Today, I use the dog-eared favorite to make Squash Casserole, Green Bean Casserole and Candied Yams. Sound like a Southern cook? Yes, Ma'am.
If anyone is interested in the recipes, I'll be glad to share here on the blog.
Happiest of Holidays and the Best of '09.

5 comments

  1. Scarlet Pumpernickel // December 25, 2008 at 3:31 PM  

    Linda, thanks for sharing your Christmas ritual! Yes, we would love for you to share the recipes. There are so many southern traditions that all over families have in common! Merry Christmas.

    Scarlet

  2. Mary Marvella // December 25, 2008 at 10:19 PM  

    I love it! Yep, you're a Southern girl, Ms. Linda!

  3. Nightingale // December 26, 2008 at 11:10 AM  

    We prepared this feast for four people, which seems something of a waste of a ritual! But it was a very nice day accompanied by Christmas music.

  4. Mary Ricksen // December 26, 2008 at 2:31 PM  

    I sat post away, any empty days will sure be a good venue for showing off those great old family favorites!
    I cooked all day and it was just the two of us. Last night I decided it was too much, I am gonna cut back and work less. Does anyone else's husband help. Or do they sit on the couch, waiting, and stuff themselves, then go back to the recliner and fall asleep. After a, "great meal," comment and a little smile and wave as he leaves me with the dishes? Old school, how smart these yunguns have become. The husband might be doing the cooking!

  5. Beth Trissel // December 30, 2008 at 10:05 AM  

    great recipes. Lovely post. I missed all of this when it came out cause I was sick with that wretched flu.