Do You Have PIE PASSION?

Posted by Anonymous | 8:40 AM | 10 comments »

My mom's birthday is in September. She says she's 49, but I find that hard to believe (since I know what year she was born and can do math) but whatever! I struggled to find a really great gift for her (but I did!) and now, here we are at Christmas and once again I'm surfing through website after website or cruising through store after store trying to buy for her again.

Is buying a present for your mom as hard as buying for my mom? Not that she doesn't love everything I buy, but lord-love-a-duck, the women has everything...and anything she doesn't already have, she doesn't want!

So we usually end up taking her out to dinner and then some cake. This year, we did the dinner thing (yum - Colorado Grill) but I didn't bake a cake. I made two homemade pies (Double YUM). Coconut Cream Pie and Mile High Pie. So where did I get these incredible pie recipes?

Betty's Pies.

A few years ago, my husband and parents took a trip to MN. (Beautiful state, BTW) We were near Two Harbors and saw a place with absolutely no parking left in the parking lot. (Always a sign of a good place to eat!). We stopped and discovered the most incredible pies EVER. For her birthday that year, I got my mom the Betty's Pies cookbook. (I also got a copy). So far, every recipe in that book is moan-worthy. But this lady loves heavy cream!

So, if you have a pie passion, check out her website. Better yet, get a pie. Need a recommendation of which one? Just ask me. I've tasted more than my fair share!


Here is her Coconut Creme Pie Recipe from the website:





Coconut Cream Pie

  • 9-inch baked pie shell or graham cracker shell
  • 3.4 package coconut cream INSTANT pudding & pie filling
  • 1 1/4 cups milk
  • 1 pint whipping cream
  • 1 1/2 cups coconut
  • Toasted coconut for top of pie
Mix milk and pudding together until stiff. Store in refrigerator while whipping cream. Save about half of the whipped cream for top of pie. Fold pudding mix into whipped cream and fold in 1 1/2 cups of coconut. Pile into a 9-inch pie shell and top with the remaining whipped cream. Sprinkle top with toasted coconut.

To toast coconut, heat oven to 300 degrees. Spread coconut into cake pan, place in oven and turn the heat off. After 5 minutes, take a peek. If lightly brown, remove and let cool. Store in covered container.


Enjoy! Don't blame me for your extra 10 pounds after you try her pies!

Until Next Time

10 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // December 4, 2008 at 12:38 PM  

    You are so cruel! I want that pie NOW! You mean I must wait?

  2. Josie // December 4, 2008 at 1:24 PM  

    That pie recipe looks delicious. As a rule, I never make pies. But this looks like a keeper recipe.

  3. Mona Risk // December 4, 2008 at 1:36 PM  

    --the women has everything...and anything she doesn't already have, she doesn't want!--

    That's exactly what my daughter says about me. So my kids started giving gift certificates. It was good at the beginning until I got fed up of eating at their favorite restaurants, going to the show they think are good for me.

    Do you know what a Mom wants? She wants time with her daughter. She wants to go shoping with her daugher, eat lunch with her daugher,..

    Giving time is giving love.

  4. Anonymous // December 4, 2008 at 3:48 PM  

    My absolute, all time, best all around, make me smile from ear to ear favorite, favorite pie is Coconut Cream! Yum! Thanks for the recipe and for the website! I have the same difficulty buying for my daughter, but she loves to cook! This will be perfect for her! How bout it Mary, shall I have her bake one for you?

    Melba from Georgia

  5. Nightingale // December 4, 2008 at 3:48 PM  

    I gained 10 pounds just reading the post. Yum. Yum. I love the coconut recipe.

  6. Mary Marvella // December 4, 2008 at 4:33 PM  

    Yes, ma'am! Or maybe we could find one with death by chocolate!

  7. Scarlet Pumpernickel // December 4, 2008 at 4:40 PM  

    Coconut Cream Pie! What a great time of the year for you to give us this great recipe! Enjoy the challenge of shopping for your mom, make a game out of it!

    Enjoy the holidays

    Scarlet

  8. Mary Ricksen // December 4, 2008 at 4:59 PM  

    Oh Lord food torture and I am on another diet.
    My mom is the same, but she loves apples so I ordered from a place called the Applesource, and they sent a box of sixteen different types of apples that none of us had ever seen. She loved it and every year she wants more apples.

  9. Anonymous // December 4, 2008 at 7:01 PM  

    Mona - I've spent three days with mom this week helping with her Christmas shopping! She gets to see me A LOT. :)

    This pie is wonderful, although I warn you. The first two or three pieces taste great. By the time you get to piece 4 or 5 (in the same sitting), it loses it appeal. BRAWHAHAHAHA

  10. Beth Trissel // December 4, 2008 at 9:27 PM  

    Gorgeous pie. Wonderful pie. I love pie. This pie looks scrumptious.