It's summer and the living should be easy, but if you're an author that isn't necessarily true. Oh, I know there are those who find the silver lining with every thing they touch. I wish I were one of those authors. I'm not, mores the pity.


I've become jaded with the publication of my first book. I expected more. I received less, much less. Sound familiar? It's a struggle. I'm working on a new book, this one on spec for a different publisher. They loved my first book and requested I write the same type book for them, sans paranormal. What? Don't they realize paranorml seeps into every story I write? So, here I sit struggling to write a romantic suspense that does not contain paranormal elements.

I've decided to follow the advice of my critique partner and forget about the first book. It's a big kid now and can take care of itself. Still, it makes me sad remembering how many dollars I've spent over the years on romance books authored by my friends and now my book languishes out in cyber land alone and unloved. It's a sign of the times. When there were gatekeepers and limited numbers of books printed, it must have been easier, right? Not to hear my friends talk, it wasn't. Being an author has always been a hard, lonely job. It's one that I chose, no one forced me down this path. It's my own fault. So the general public thinks my baby is ugly. What do I care? I'm working on my next story. 

I'm in full procrastination mode today, can you tell? I'll give you a few clues how I can tell. I cleaned the kitchen without anything jumping out of the sink grabbing me as I went by. I swept the floor and used the dust pan, if you know me and how bad my back is, you will understand sweeping was a major clue because it always causes my back to go out. Then here I am, writing a post on the Pink Fuzzies, when I'm supposed to be writing on the wip. Yep procrastination pure and simple.

Did I tell you I'm going to take up painting with water colors? Yep, I think it will be easier than writing a book that people will take the time to read. If someone doesn't like my paintings I'll just tell them its an abstract and they have no appreciation for art.

What about you? How do you cope when your babies are ignored on Amazon and other outlets?

8 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // June 27, 2014 at 7:57 PM  

    Ah, lady, selling books folks can't see in a store isn't easy. Yes, there are so many available on line that we need to look for different ways to be visible to readers. Even the readers are different. We must write more books and tell EVERYONE we have published books and where to find them.

    Baby isn't ugly, she isn't visible enough.

  2. Mary Marvella // June 27, 2014 at 7:57 PM  

    And she wants brothers and sisters.

  3. Scarlet Pumpernickel // June 27, 2014 at 8:01 PM  

    LoL! Mary Marvella. You would know how hard it is to be an author. You've been at it almost as long as I have. One day we will find where the readers go!

  4. Josie // June 29, 2014 at 9:12 AM  

    Just keep writing and ignore the many distractions. Easy to say, difficult to do.

  5. debjulienne // June 30, 2014 at 12:46 PM  

    Oh MJ, I soooooo understand....feeling the same way...book two is almost done, so hoping that will help but still feeling LOST!!

  6. Scarlet Pumpernickel // June 30, 2014 at 6:31 PM  

    Josie, Deb and MM, I'm working on book two and another one for a different publisher. As Mamma Mary tells me, "Just do it because you love it." So that's what I'm doing.It is what I want to do in my retirement. I've worked hard to be free to indulge my urge to write. I refuse to let low sales and poor rankings steal my joy! Onward and upward!

    MJ

  7. Beth Trissel // July 2, 2014 at 1:38 PM  

    I hear you, dear heart. Nothing to do but soldier on. I wish you fun with your water colors.

  8. Barbara Monajem // July 6, 2014 at 10:54 AM  

    I just keep on writing, Scarlet. It's the fun part. And Mary's right -- the problem is visibility.

    I agree about paranormal -- I too find it very hard to avoid it!