In preparation for July 4th, next week, when was the last time you really paid attention to the words of the "Pledge of Allegiance"?

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

I'd like to invite you to listen to my favorite version, the John Wayne’s version of The Pledge of Allegiance

Just listening to his deep grizzly voice saying the words gives me the chills, but his explanation of the words literally brings tears in my eyes.

We live in a great nation, regardless of how faulty our government is. I wish we could get back to the when it felt like our country cared about us as much as we care about it. I also wish we could get our so-called government listen to this version...reminding them of what we use to be, and could be again.

Have a happy and safe Fourth of July.

deb

6 comments

  1. Mary Ricksen // June 25, 2014 at 7:50 PM  

    One of my favorite patriotic songs is the Star Spangled Banner,it really is a difficult song to sing correctly...
    Then there's Bruce's, Born In The USA!!!

  2. Josie // June 25, 2014 at 11:38 PM  

    Deb, My first comment didn't come through, so trying again. The pledge is so meaningful, As children, we mouthed the words by rote, so appreciate the fresh take via John Wayne.

  3. Mary Marvella // June 26, 2014 at 12:56 AM  

    I agree! I love the Star Spangled Banner, America the Beautiful, and the pledge! They all give me chills!

  4. debjulienne // June 26, 2014 at 10:24 AM  

    Mary R, I know what you mean...there are a few movies that choke me up this way....Cagney's Yankee Doodle Dandy that final scene just sets me off....him dancing down the stairs then singing over there with the boys marching down the street. Lee Greenwood singing God Bless the USA does it too. Anything patriotic about our history.

  5. debjulienne // June 26, 2014 at 10:25 AM  

    Josie, I know, as kids we didn't understand what our history was really about, we couldn't appreciate what the words mean...now I say it with pride.

  6. debjulienne // June 26, 2014 at 10:26 AM  

    MM, same here...so glad we have them and the wonderful words behind our great nation.