Sex, Lies, and Beauty Aids, my debut novel, is a romantic comedy due to be released on March 3, 2014.

I'm so excited!

I've been asked a few times how I get ideas for my books. In preparation of the upcoming release I thought I'd share a few real life situations that have happened to me over the years. Let's just say once you read them, you'll realize how I get my ideas, and mind you, this one is tame.

A few years back I worked at a Silicon Valley company. My boss at the time was an absolute doll (I will always hold him in high esteem). We had a many things in common, writing being one of them. This guy is a brainiac - photographic memory and all. Won a full scholarship to Columbia…enough said.

Me, I’m a cheese ball - with nuts. Smart enough, but not focused on any one thing as I love doing a wide variety of things. Writing is my outlet to life’s hurdles.

My manager and I decide to swap stories and critique each other. His story is great, more factual than fiction, and I’d love to see it finished.

At the time this event happened, I had entered two stories into the Harlequin Black Moment contest and was busy with revisions.

1) Romantic Suspense Guilty Until Proven Innocent (which eventually took 2nd place)

2) Romantic Comedy Sex, Lies, and Beauty Aids (which eventually took 3rd place)

NOTE: My manager's shorthand for my stories are “Guilt” and “Sex”, yeah go figure.

The boss was about to fly to Boston to see his boss and he hates flying, so genius here prints the first half of my suspense and the first half of the comedy figuring if one doesn’t interest him maybe the other will.

He went on his trip, came back, and when it’s time for my weekly 1-1, he calls me and tells me to come to his office thirty minutes earlier. At this point I’m nervous, so afraid he’s going to tell me both are trash.

We have our usual 1-1 session about work and then he says “now to the important stuff.” He says, “I like the suspense, but love the comedy. I see so much of you and your sense of humor in it. I found myself cracking up on the plane, so much so people were giving me dirty looks.” Now that said, this guys has the exact voice of “Tony the Tiger” no kidding! His laugh is hysterical and infectious, I considered that a compliment as there are a lot of laughs to the story.

Our time was at an end. I saw him check his watch and he says, “Walk me to my next meeting so we can finish talking…”

We’re walking and he’s whispering about some of the sexy, funny spots I put my heroine into in my story. He’s making suggestions and grinning ear-to-ear. I can see he’s really fighting not to burst out laughing. We get to the hall near his conference room I turn to leave and as I walk away he says "keep working and I want less 'Guilt' and more 'Sex'," at the exact moment his boss rounds the corner. The VP's mouth drops, he shakes his head, and walks away saying, “I’m not even going to ask." At this point, my boss loses it and that deep booming laughter bubbles over, echoing off the halls as we walk away.

I’m thinking, we are soooo in trouble. My mind is racing. I'm in a total panic imagining a call from HR, getting fired for inappropraite conduct and who knows what. I mean his boss is our VP. I found out later that the VP had been giving the boss dirty looks all through the meeting, and afterwards the boss figured he better clear the air. He took the VP for coffee and proceeded to tell him about my writing and about both stories. The next thing I know I get a call from the VP and all he says is, “I want more Sex”…just as the boss walked into my office laughing. They had a huge laugh, at my expense, and neither realize I'm in serious jeopardy, about to mess my britches.

This is the kind of mischief I get into. Needless to say, when you’re reading my books chance are VERY high you’re reading something that happened to me in some way…not that I’ll ever admit it. Who knows maybe I’ll run a contest after the release of my books asking what in the book really happened to me…keep your eyes open.

Deb

Sex, Lies, and Beauty Aids, Lyrical/Kensington release 3/3/2014
ISBN-13: 978-1-61650-516-5

26 comments

  1. Josie // January 28, 2014 at 1:02 PM  

    Such a great blog about your boss. You obviously have a great talent for writing fun, memorable stories.

  2. Unknown // January 28, 2014 at 1:07 PM  

    I laughed all through your blog. You have a wonderful sense of humor and a knack? for finding funny bits in life. Can't wait to read your booK! Waving from Bend, OR. Diana McCollum (Go Sacramento sister!)

  3. Unknown // January 28, 2014 at 1:11 PM  

    I'm so excited for you. Love your story, and I can't wait to see your new book on the shelves. Your sense of humor has always had me bowled over in stitches. I have no doubt this book will be no exception.

  4. Scarlet Pumpernickel // January 28, 2014 at 1:18 PM  

    LOL, Deb I can so relate to this. I shared a scene from my romantic suspense with a co-worker and had much the same sort of thing happen. Congratulations on you new release!

  5. debjulienne // January 28, 2014 at 1:22 PM  

    Josie, He's still very special to me...and we had a great working relationship...honestly!

  6. debjulienne // January 28, 2014 at 1:23 PM  

    Diana,

    You know me so you'll see a great deal of "my insanity" in my book...I'll have to come see you in Bend...I love Oregon!

  7. debjulienne // January 28, 2014 at 1:24 PM  

    Dawn, hopefully you I'll have you in stitches with the book...can't wait to hold a book in my hands.

  8. debjulienne // January 28, 2014 at 1:25 PM  

    Scarlet, I saw that...and now we know...truth is better than fiction...hahaha.

  9. Mary Ricksen // January 28, 2014 at 1:36 PM  

    You crack me up sweetie!!! LOLOLOL

  10. Mary Marvella // January 28, 2014 at 2:30 PM  

    So funny! Thanks for sharing this story with us!

  11. Barbara Monajem // January 28, 2014 at 3:06 PM  

    Fun! (By the way, what happened to the romantic suspense story?)

  12. debjulienne // January 28, 2014 at 3:24 PM  

    Mary(s) thanks...at the time, I was convinced my job was over...glad it didn't work out that way...

  13. debjulienne // January 28, 2014 at 3:26 PM  

    Barbara, the romantic suspense went on to come in second, twice in the black moment contest...it's done, needs some tweeks but until this series is done I don't want to split my focus, plus I still have to plot to two other books in that series...so it's nowhere near ready.

  14. Barbara Monajem // January 28, 2014 at 5:30 PM  

    Deb, I think you're wise not to split your focus. I have split mine so many ways I don't know which path to follow anymore...

  15. Brenda // January 28, 2014 at 6:41 PM  

    Deb, I smiled as I read your blog. I miss seeing you. I feel so out of the loop. It's great that you had such a fabulous relationship with your boss--and that you liked his book, too! Good luck with your debut. I'm so excited for you!

  16. debjulienne // January 28, 2014 at 6:45 PM  

    Brenda...I have such great memories of him and he always made me feel good about my job, my work, and my writing...it was very encouraging to see it mattered to him.

  17. Cindy Sample // January 28, 2014 at 7:07 PM  

    Great story, Deb. I love love love the title of your book and I can't wait to read it (and see if I can figure out which parts are true)!

    I've had several people eavesdrop on conversations where I was discussing how to poison someone. That always gets an interesting reaction!

  18. Pamela Varnado // January 29, 2014 at 9:49 AM  

    Congratulations on your new release. Sounds like your boss is a wonderful person. And I like how you use writing to ground yourself. If I didn't do the same I'd be all over the place and with nothing to show for it. Good luck with your release.

  19. debjulienne // January 29, 2014 at 12:47 PM  

    Cindy, I know what you mean...I'm trying to work up the courage to post a blog about my Adult Shop experience...Major blushing...

  20. debjulienne // January 29, 2014 at 12:48 PM  

    Pamela, kindred spirits...how we stay sane is beyond me.

  21. Calisa Rhose // January 30, 2014 at 9:02 AM  

    That's a hilarious story, Deb! I can just see faces through these exchanges. I'm sitting here trying to channel Tony the Tiger to imagine your bosses voice. Thanks! ;)

  22. Beth Trissel // January 30, 2014 at 3:02 PM  

    So excited for you, Deb!

  23. Autumn Jordon // January 30, 2014 at 3:44 PM  

    That is too funny. So do you still critique with your boss?

    Congrats on the new release. I love RC.

  24. debjulienne // January 30, 2014 at 6:12 PM  

    Calisa...it truly was one of the funniest exchanges I've ever had.

  25. debjulienne // January 30, 2014 at 6:13 PM  

    Thanks Beth...I remember when we used to crit...how many years ago...and this one if finally getting published...So proud of you and all your accompishments.

  26. debjulienne // January 30, 2014 at 6:15 PM  

    Autumn...I wish...I miss "Tony" something fierce...I need to message him and see where he is on his story. RC is my favorite....wait until you hear more of my stories....hint, hint.