Most adults cringe when the weatherman predicts snow. I can understand this. Driving on icy roads is no fun. But nature enthralls me as I watch the snow fall outside my living room window. Fat snowflakes cover the landscape with a glistening white blanket. Soon, children’s laughter will fill the air. Carrot-nosed snowmen will appear. Sledding enjoyed. It’s a magical winter scene, just right for curling up on the sofa with my favorite book of poems.

So pour yourself a cup of hot chocolate or even better a warm, spicy toddy, snuggle up with your most comfy blanket, and enjoy the vivid imagination of poet Robert Frost.   


Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Robert Frost

17 comments

  1. Connie Gillam // January 30, 2014 at 12:03 PM  

    Pam-

    I didn't know you liked poetry. Frost is good. The imagery puts you in the forest with him and his horse until you can feel the cold on your cheeks and see your breath fan out in the air.

  2. Barbara Monajem // January 30, 2014 at 1:43 PM  

    I've been enjoying the snow, too, Pam. I remember that poem from high school!!

  3. Beth Trissel // January 30, 2014 at 3:01 PM  

    Lovely post. I like snow, as long as I don't have to drive in it. The falling flakes are mesmerizing. And such a fitting poem.

  4. Josie // January 30, 2014 at 3:28 PM  

    One of my favorite poems, Pam. Thanks for sharing.

  5. Autumn Jordon // January 30, 2014 at 3:36 PM  

    I just love Robert Frost's works. I feel the peace of his spirit while reading this poem. Lovely.

    Thanks for posting.

  6. Mary Marvella // January 30, 2014 at 5:32 PM  

    His poetry speaks to many of us! Thanks for the reminder, Pam!

  7. Scarlet Pumpernickel // January 30, 2014 at 6:06 PM  

    Pam,
    I am not a big poetry person, but that one is one of my favorites. Frost's words draws pictures in tne mind making the image real. Now, I'm going to go fix a cup of cocoa and get back to my reading.

  8. debjulienne // January 30, 2014 at 6:16 PM  

    When it's snowing here..that's my que to cuddle up on the couch, raging fire, and read...I love Robert Frost.

  9. Pamela Varnado // January 30, 2014 at 6:22 PM  

    Connie, I've always enjoyed reading poetry. Its rhythmic cadence relaxes me.

  10. Pamela Varnado // January 30, 2014 at 6:26 PM  

    Barbara,Winter is my favorite season. Summer, for me, is a hectic time. I'm always going somewhere or doing something. Winter is my time just to sit back and relax.

  11. Pamela Varnado // January 30, 2014 at 6:28 PM  

    Beth, thanks for commenting. I'm glad you liked the poem.

  12. Pamela Varnado // January 30, 2014 at 6:31 PM  

    Josie, thanks for commenting. Hugs.

  13. Pamela Varnado // January 30, 2014 at 6:32 PM  

    Autumn, Frost is one of my favorite poets. I also enjoy reading Maya Angelou.

  14. Pamela Varnado // January 30, 2014 at 6:33 PM  

    Mary, I'm happy my post moved you. Sending a hug your way.

  15. Pamela Varnado // January 30, 2014 at 6:36 PM  

    Scarlet, that's what I love about poetry also. The vivid images allow me to experience something new. Frost's poem transports me to a winter wonderland.

  16. Pamela Varnado // January 30, 2014 at 6:37 PM  

    Debjulienne, don't forget the hot chocolate. Thanks for commenting.

  17. Mary Ricksen // February 2, 2014 at 1:45 PM  

    I miss it myself. Not the driving, but the feeling it gives you on a snowy evening, it's almost magic!