Let's Kick It Up.

Posted by Autumn Jordon | 8:00 AM | 6 comments »


Friday, March 1, 2013 8 a.m.


Happy March!

Even though the calendar says it’s only 19 more days until spring and there are signs, the fire in my wood stove is still roaring. It’s going to be a great weekend to keep my fingers on the keyboard.

Often writers have trouble jump starting their muse. One way I’ve found to get in the mood, is to do a simple brainstorming exercise. Take a picture and write one line to go with it. The line doesn’t have to related to the story you’re working on, just think out of the box.

Let’s kick our muses out of bed. Using the pictures below, write an opening line or lines. Do as many as you want. Make them as long as you want.

Come on. You can do it? Let’s have some fun. I've posted my lines below each picture.



#1

AJ: "She's forming," the young intern cried with excitement.




#2


AJ: Ally Chase took the drop of Satan’s blood on her tongue like a good angel.




#3

AJ: It was Friday and finally after twenty-five years she was done. Ma Wilson scanned her classroom. She felt as old as the turtle in the tank.



#4

AJ: “Olives and spaghetti." Jake turned on her. "Are you pregnant again?”




#5



AJ: “If only he'd known their kiss this morning would be their last, he wouldn't have let her go alone.”


Now it's your turn.

6 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // March 1, 2013 at 2:54 PM  

    Hi, Autumn! You do such thought provoking posts! Thanks, lady. Writer's block might be about something deeper.

  2. Mona Risk // March 1, 2013 at 3:05 PM  

    My muse is quite lazy. Nothing coming out about the pictures or about my work in progress. That's because I stopped writing for two weeks. I know that once I start a story I should type every day in order not to lose the flow of my thoughts.

  3. Patrice Wilton // March 1, 2013 at 3:53 PM  

    Hi Autumn, Enjoyed your blog but wrote all day and couldn't do this too. Tried to leave a post earlier and got screwed up. Sorry.

  4. Mary Ricksen // March 1, 2013 at 4:07 PM  

    Great post, now just turn the brain on when it's protesting!!!

  5. Autumn Jordon // March 1, 2013 at 4:34 PM  

    Thanks, Mary. Deeper? Usually if I'm blocked as you call it, it's because something in my story isn't right. Step back, exercise, read a favorite book. Those steps always help me.

    LOL, I hey you, Mona.

    Patrice, Good for you. But I bet you're thinking about the pictures.

    Thanks, Mary. Get it charged.

  6. Beth Trissel // March 1, 2013 at 8:04 PM  

    Thanks Autumn. Anything to kick start that muse is a help.