SAD? Not me.

Posted by Autumn Jordon | 11:57 AM | 15 comments »

Let’s dance. January and February are depressing months for many. Some of you might begin to cry cabin-fever as soon as the ball drops in Times Square. Why is that? If you’re one of the millions who suffers each year from SAD or cabin-fever would you love to not suffer?

I love winter. I’m not one to suffer from SAD or cabin-fever, but my body does slow down and the mind seems to say, “Okay, if you’re not going to move, I might as well rest too.” I didn’t want that to happen to me this year. I’ve set some pretty aggressive goals for 2013, which is going to be a busy, so I decided before the old year was waving Tata to get myself primed for the coldest months of the year here in the NE USA.

I began to dance in the morning as a form of exercise. I love to dance. My husband not so much. So, the minute my feet hit the floor, I’m struttin’ my stuff to any beat I want. Doing this, my energy level has soared. If you don’t believe me that dancing can do this, here are some articles verifying the benefits of shaling your booty. Check them out.

http://www.aarp.org/health/fitness/get_motivated/lets_dance_to_health.html

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/belly-dancing/AN01491

Another great thing about dancing, you don’t need a video or a special piece of equipment. Just crank up the music and dance. Dance in the sunlight. Dance your way through January and February and into spring.

Another thing I've done, just recently, is to plant vegetable and flower seeds. Yes, it might seem early but they do take time to grow to size that you can transplant. Doing something to prepare for spring really does left the spirits.

Do you have a way to fend off SAD or cabin fever you’d like to share? Or have you seen another article on dancing for health? If so, please share the link.

There is a whole lot of dancing going on in the Texas town of Mule Post. OBSESSED BY WILDIRE will make you chuckle and just have a darn good time.
Available on AMAZON.

15 comments

  1. Beth Trissel // February 17, 2013 at 1:10 PM  

    I suffer in the winter and agree that this sounds great. As soon as I recover from this latest bought of illness, that is. I also love a brisk walk when the sun shines and the wind isn't too bitter. I used to clog all over my kitchen to lively jigs. It did make me feel much more energetic. I hope you can dive into all those goals you have for 2013.

  2. Autumn Jordon // February 17, 2013 at 2:23 PM  

    There is nothing like music to feed the soul, so put on those clogs and jig as soon as you're able.

    I've dove and like a turtle I'm moving forward. Maybe when spring and summer arrives, I'll have a good amount accomplished.

    Did you start any of your seeds yet? I planted basil, orgeno, parsely, petuinas and some marigolds. Like a child I check the soil everyday to see sprouts. LOL

  3. Beth Trissel // February 17, 2013 at 2:30 PM  

    I come to life in the spring along with the rest of the world. I am waiting for my hubby to finish repairing my little greenhouse and then will plant my seeds. I hope by March 1st.

  4. Autumn Jordon // February 17, 2013 at 2:54 PM  

    Awesome. I wish I had a greenhouse. I always wanted one. Right now, it's egg cartons and dining room table. LOL It works.

  5. Mary Ricksen // February 17, 2013 at 4:20 PM  

    They say sometimes vitamin D helps!

  6. Autumn Jordon // February 17, 2013 at 4:42 PM  

    So true, Mary. First thing I do in the a.m. is throw the blinds up and let that sunshine in. Even on a cloudy, snowy day. Love me some rays.

  7. Beth Trissel // February 17, 2013 at 6:21 PM  

    Yes, Vitamin D supplements are recommended anyway. Someday, a greenhouse, Autumn.

  8. Mary Marvella // February 17, 2013 at 6:26 PM  

    I love your ideas, Autumn! Gonna dance when I'm not writing or editing!

    I tried to rig a desk/table/shelf that would let me type and walk at the same time. Back to the drawing board!

    I keep lights on, too.
    Thanks for covering for me!

  9. Autumn Jordon // February 17, 2013 at 7:09 PM  

    Mary, I thought about working with a desk over treadmill, but honestly, I'd end up with a broken leg. Reading with my kindle I can do. So time on my treadmill is either watching a TV show I wanted to see, plotting to music or reading.

    Good for you for doing it.

  10. Autumn Jordon // February 17, 2013 at 7:16 PM  

    Supplements are an excellent suggestion. Especially, if you don't like or eat enough of the food sources such as mushrooms, fatty fish and liver. YUCK. I don't like liver.

  11. Patrice Wilton // February 18, 2013 at 7:17 AM  

    Autumn - I love this! I know that Zumba has taken over as the biggest exercise/dance crazy and the women that go to classes love it. I havent got into this yet, but really, really want to. Dancing through winter, increasing your energy level, You Go Girl! Great stuff.

  12. Mona Risk // February 18, 2013 at 7:35 AM  

    Autumn, like you I love to dance,any time, any place.

  13. Autumn Jordon // February 18, 2013 at 10:03 AM  

    I have friends that do Zuma too, Patrica. It does sound like fun and I've thought about doing a class too. I guess we could say, dancing was one of the first forms of organized group exercise. lol

    Thanks, Mona!

  14. Scarlet Pumpernickel // February 19, 2013 at 3:33 PM  

    Autumn, I wish I could get up and dance! Just getting up is a chore right now. But as soon as the cast comes off I am going to dance for joy! Glad you found a way to up your energy and thanks for sharing. We will all be dancing into spring thanks to your info.

  15. Scarlet Pumpernickel // February 19, 2013 at 3:36 PM  

    I used to have the kids plant flower seeds at school this time of year and then they had a gift for mother's day. One child who was motherless gave me his flower when we divided them up. I was reduced to tears!