Summer Recipes

Posted by Autumn Jordon | 4:04 PM | 12 comments »

June 20, 2012 Let the season begin.

Summer is the time to get up, get out and slim down. With so much to do, time can slip away before you realize and you’re faced with the task of making lunch or dinner. If you’re like me you’re tired after doing, doing, doing and cooking dinner is not appealing chore at all. Neither is ordering in a pizza or hitting a fast-food joint. You can do that anytime of the year. And what about the slimming down part of summer you’re trying to stick to.

There are tons of sites with recipes for you to try, but who has the time to search and what if they’re not as good as the magazines boast them up to be. I like trying recipes that are tried and true and shared by friends. So with that in mind, I want to share a few recipes that my family loves. They’re quick and easy, so I don’t mind having to prepare them after I’ve been on the go all day.
I find the key to relieving the stress of ‘WHAT’S FOR DINNER’ syndrome is having the ingredients, so, when you shop, plan that there is going several days in the week where you’re going to be overloaded and pick up the necessary items. Refrigerate and don’t freeze. If the meat is to be marinated, place it in the seasoned cure right away.

With that said, here are a two of my easy dishes. Please share yours too.

Greens with Marinated Chicken

Perfect for a really hot day.

8 skinless chicken breasts halves. (I always make extra. It’s so yummy) Wash, pat dry and place in plastic bag. Add about a cup of Zesty Italian dressing and seal. Refrigerate overnight. (I like my chicken zesty so I leave chicken in marinate for three days before using.) Also, for food safety, remember to sterilize any surface that comes in contact with the chicken.

Remove from bag and place chicken immediately on a pre-heated 350° grill (or broiler). Cook with medium heat on one side until meat juice bubbles form on top, then flip and cook until chicken is done. Approximately 20 minutes total. Remember to only flip your meat once. Doing so, helps keep meat juicy. Remove from grill and let stand covered for five minutes before slicing into strips. After cooled, chicken can be refrigerated for use anytime over the next few days.



While chicken is grilling, prepare your favorite greens. I like a mixture of spinch, lettuce and fresh or steam veggies or fruit. Top with chicken, add a slice of cheese and sprinkle with your favorite dressing. YUM

Asparagus Wrapped In Bacon ( I never liked asparagus until I had it prepared this way)

Wash asparagus, pat dry and wrap in a slice of bacon. Insert a toothpick to hold together.

Two ways to prepare:

Grill: Mix a Tablespoon of oil with a ½ teaspoon of garlic salt and brush asparagus. Place on grill at med-low heat and turn every few minutes until bacon and veggie is thoroughly cooked.



Stove method: Heat a Tablespoon of oil in a pan along with ½ clove of garlic (or garlic salt) and fry Asparagus and bacon until thoroughly cooked.

12 comments

  1. Rita // June 20, 2012 at 10:04 AM  

    Yum! Thanks for sharing

  2. Autumn Jordon // June 20, 2012 at 10:18 AM  

    You're welcome, Rita. Thanks for stopping by.

  3. Judith Keim // June 20, 2012 at 12:26 PM  

    Hi, Autumn! Thanks for sharing. My husband loves to grill asparagus. He makes a mixture of olive oil, touch of sesame oil and a dash of low-salt teriyaki sauce or other oriental seasoning, tosses the asparagus in the mixture and puts them on the grill in a special grilling basket. Yum!

  4. Autumn Jordon // June 20, 2012 at 12:40 PM  

    That does sound yummy, Judy. I'll have to try it. Thanks!

  5. Patrice Wilton // June 20, 2012 at 4:39 PM  

    I'm dieting right now, so I don't eat carbs. I loved grilled or baked salmon, and I use a variety of marinades. Either a teriyaki sauce or Lawry's Hawaiian marinade. Another great one is Tobago Keys Peruvian Gold Grilling sauce which is delicious and a little spicy. Marinate for hours or a day, put in oven for around 10-15 minutes, do not overcook and enjoy!

  6. Autumn Jordon // June 20, 2012 at 5:43 PM  

    I love salmon, Patrice. My son grills it on cedar boards. It's very good. Thanks for the suggestion on marinates. I'd love to try the Hawaiian one with wings.

    Kudos on the no carbs. I wish I had the willpower to go no carbs.

  7. Mary Marvella // June 21, 2012 at 12:35 AM  

    Need me some asparagus and some salmon! Thanks for the ideas.

  8. Scarlet Pumpernickel // June 21, 2012 at 1:23 AM  

    Thanks for sharing your chicken recipe! I've used the Italian dressing as a marinade, but didn't let it set that long. I'll have to give it a try. My favorite quickie dinner is BLT's made with pre-cooked bacon and topped with home-grown tomatoes. Also like summer squash and vidalia onion grilled, just chopped them in large pieces place in grill pan and stir frequently. Goes great with grilled chicken.

  9. Nightingale // June 21, 2012 at 12:26 PM  

    Sorry I missed the party. Been a little under the weather. I've been planning a dinner party!

  10. Mary Ricksen // June 21, 2012 at 3:24 PM  

    Yummy!!

  11. Autumn Jordon // June 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM  

    Thanks for the suggestions, ladies. I'll have to give them all a try.

  12. Josie // June 22, 2012 at 8:52 AM  

    Yum! Your recipe looks delicious. I've also subscribed to the "Hungry Girl" newsletter, which arrives in my email inbox daily. She shares lots of great, low-fat recipes.