Oh, my God. I don’t want to do ____. I want to just____. You fill in the blanks.

How many times have you said this to yourself? Once in a great while? Once a month? Once a week? Every day?

I admit I've said I don’t want to at least once a month, and no, it's not concerning cleaning the bathroom. Something pressing (we’ll call something IT)... IT always comes up and for some unknown reason I’m the only one in the universe that can handle IT. IT pulls me away from what I really long to do, like write, read or spend time with my family. IT can and will ruin your day, if you let it.

I don’t like days that are unproductive. I’m not talking about lazy days. They’re productive in their own way—recharging your body and soul. I’m talking about those days where it seems you get nothing done because if IT, including IT. So how do I make sure IT doesn't ruin my day?

I’m a big list person. Not the biggest. There are days I get wild and wing it. But most days, I will sit down and write a list of things I want to accomplish. I’m realistic in making the list. I know my limits. Most days there is maybe five or six wants-to-get-done. And if IT shows up, guess where IT goes? Right. At the top of the list.

I face IT head on, even though IT might be huge and ugly, and in bold letters IT is the first item of the day. I rolled up my sleeves and tackle IT first. When IT is done and out of the way, my energy level always seems to skyrocket and I whiz through the rest of the items on my list.

(WARNING LABEL) If IT is so big and can’t be accomplished one day, that’s okay. You know it up-front. IT might be the only thing on your list for a day or several. BUT, when IT is finally done, it’s done, and you then can focus on what you really want to do. It’s all about attitude.

11 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // May 21, 2012 at 3:53 PM  

    Helpful post! Facing things we don't want to do is so easy, for a while! If only ignoring IT would make IT shrink instead of growing!

  2. Beth Trissel // May 21, 2012 at 6:52 PM  

    IT is definitely a problem and we must do something about IT--right after I recharge from all of the ITS coming at me.
    Excellent post.

  3. Beth Trissel // May 21, 2012 at 6:52 PM  

    IT is definitely a problem and we must do something about IT--right after I recharge from all of the ITS coming at me.
    Excellent post.

  4. Autumn Jordon // May 21, 2012 at 8:51 PM  

    LOL, IT is telling you something, Beth. Hope you're feeling better.

    And so right, Mary. If only IT won't grow.

    I got my IT out of the way today. Now, onto the next it and then my schedule is clear for tomorrow. LOL

  5. Josie // May 22, 2012 at 8:14 AM  

    I'm a list person, also, Autumn. I find if I set goals at the beginning of the day I am more apt to accomplish them.

  6. Autumn Jordon // May 22, 2012 at 9:22 AM  

    Exactly! I usually start a list the night before and tweak it in the morning after reading email. Sometimes, I get priority mail over night.

  7. Mary Ricksen // May 22, 2012 at 8:07 PM  

    Just have to remember to bring the list!!

  8. Mona Risk // May 22, 2012 at 9:46 PM  

    I am a list person too. And I love to strike a line on the DONE items.

  9. Pamela Varnado // May 23, 2012 at 8:14 AM  

    Tony Robins spoke about IT on one of Oprah's Lifeclass shows. He said, "You may be scared but you've got to deal with IT." Facing our problems is the only way to deal with it.

  10. Nightingale // May 23, 2012 at 9:27 AM  

    Late commenting Autumn, but this is a great post. Very amusing, too. My IT was a ejection yesterday, so I went out and bought crystal stemware!

  11. Judith Keim // May 23, 2012 at 11:45 AM  

    Great post, Autumn...Thanks.